Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Has anyone else played any of the following? - Page 3
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What've you guys played?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marvel Super Heroes

101 80.16%
  • Marvel SAGA (card based)

22 17.46%
  • Marvel Universe

33 26.19%
  • DC Heroes (older Mayfair game)

60 47.62%
  • DC Universe D6

21 16.67%
  • Godsend Agenda D6, too

4 3.17%
  • Silver Age Sentinels or The Authority (Tri-Stat)

24 19.05%
  • Cartoon Action Hour

9 7.14%
  • Heroes Unlimited (either edition)

58 46.03%
  • Hearts & Souls by Tim Kirk

1 0.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Has anyone else played any of the following?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    But not as bad as GURPS Vehicle creation I bet. I've yet to read up on it but every time it comes up in conversation I can feel somebody shuddering at the thought hundreds of miles away

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    But not as bad as GURPS Vehicle creation I bet. I've yet to read up on it but every time it comes up in conversation I can feel somebody shuddering at the thought hundreds of miles away
    Don't get me wrong, GURPS Vehicle creation is very detailed, but you just about need a math doctorate to deal with all of the calculation involved!

Steve Jackson really needs to come out with a program for creating vehicles that eliminates the need for it! Don't get me wrong, you can do lots with the system, I've created suits of power armor, ala BattleDress from Traveler with it, but man, even that is a little to task intensive for me this from a guy who could run a Champions game and within a couple of seconds after rolling a massive attack, tell how much body and stun were dealt to the character I hit.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    Steve Jackson really needs to come out with a program for creating vehicles that eliminates the need for it!
    May I present to you the GURPS Vehicle Builder

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    May I present to you the GURPS Vehicle Builder
    Bout time they did something like that!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just checked the poll results. Jeesh no love for Hearts & Souls by Tim Kirk. Has anybody here even played it, other than PhishStyx?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that's one i hadn't heard of.

champions and hero is not quite the same thing. or maybe it's just my outlook. champions was one of the early superhero games. hero was the generalization of champions to include just about everything else. or at least that was my impression.

i enjoyed playing gurps supers a lot, but that may be a function of having enough points to build what i wanted. i did find two serious rules abuses in the super rules. mind you, serious. the rest were minor.

however, i still have a lot of nostalgia for marvel. it was my first superhero system.

hero's unlimited was fun, as was synibarr. (it's who you game with, not what you're gaming with....)

i find that how difficult it is to build a specific concept in superhero design depends somewhat on the system. some systems simply don't support certain concepts. others label it as really powerful / expensive, while in others it's cheap. it really just depends.

like in champions, virtually no one buys flash defense....
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played in a cool Heroes Unlimited campaign that was loosely based upon Firestarter. It was really cool because we had to discover our powers as we dodged government agents and black helicopters.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sweet!

the gurps vehicle rules are based on the original carwars rules... now there were some detailed rules. not to mention accurate-to-life movement rules. the turning radius key was extremely handy!
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    GURPS just keeps getting more sexy

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite super hero game was the 5th editioin of DC Heroes. Mutants and Masterminds comes in at a close second because despite the dice/system differences it's very similar to the DC Heroes game. Heroes Unlimited was the first super hero game I ever got my hands on and I've done most of my superhero gaming with it. Aberrant was a terribly abusable and clumsy system, but I thoroughly enjoyed that game for it's story.

I guess overall now my favorite system to run a hero game in is Mutants and Masterminds. I am really glad that I was eventually introduced to that system.
    This is better than my imagination. This is more than a dream come true. Without the slightest bit of hesitation, I knew what I was meant to do...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Glistam View Post
    Mutants and Masterminds comes in at a close second because despite the dice/system differences it's very similar to the DC Heroes game.
    How are they alike?

I've always loved Mayfair's DC Heroes game, but I disliked Mutants and Masterminds. It came across as soullessly mechanistic and clumsy to me.

(I've grown to hate it simply because I've read so many posts from people who write about Mutants and Masterminds in terms which should be reserved for witnessing firsthand the Second Coming of Christ or a personal interview with Moses or Mohammad -- the rabid fans have soured it for me.)

I'd love to read a positive perspective on Mutants and Masterminds from someone who loves DC Heroes and therefore is writing from a viewpoint I think I can trust.

So how do you see them as alike despite the dice difference?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i've been meaning to get my hands on that and give it a good looking over. eventually i will. ^^

Downloads
    Uploads
    By the way, I'm crushed that the poll doesn't include Champions. (And it's not a generic-system thing, too, because it includes GURPS.)

Quote Originally Posted by magic-rhyme View Post
    How are they alike?

I've always loved Mayfair's DC Heroes game, but I disliked Mutants and Masterminds. It came across as soullessly mechanistic and clumsy to me.

(I've grown to hate it simply because I've read so many posts from people who write about Mutants and Masterminds in terms which should be reserved for witnessing firsthand the Second Coming of Christ or a personal interview with Moses or Mohammad -- the rabid fans have soured it for me.)

I'd love to read a positive perspective on Mutants and Masterminds from someone who loves DC Heroes and therefore is writing from a viewpoint I think I can trust.

So how do you see them as alike despite the dice difference?
    This is a comparison to the third Mayfair edition, rather than the later MEGS editions (Blood of Heroes). I had the three Mayfair editions, but the first is long gone and the second is hidden in a box.

Scaling is similar, though not identical. The existence of pre-written powers (even though M+M is an effects-based game) is similar. The existence of Hero Points is similar (although they have different mechanics, the fact that Hero Points exist and let you modify the world is similar).

EDIT: Oh, the power purchase system is actually quite similar, with the column being the per rank cost, actual ranks of a power, and column shifts being the +1 extra or -1 flaw; one is a table lookup and one is multiplication, but really they're about the same. (End EDIT)

On the other hand, I thought DC Heroes had a better magic/psionics/phisical breakdown, and a nicer actual combat system. However, the tables were a bit of a problem, and the system did suffer at the lower end, where the normals lived.

Anyone else got differences?
    Last edited by kipling; 02-20-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Add a line.

Downloads
    Uploads

Post DID WE FOR GET Mutants and Master

IF you own Mutants and master minds
    do you really need any other game system its better then a lot and it should have been what Green ronin used instead of that nasty true 20
    as a universal system
    a few house rules and bam boom paw you got sci fi, horror, and Fantasy !

those who play MnM am I wrong here>?
    who has played MnM and thought this is perfect merge of Heros system and d20? Matter of fact for more suttle games I use combat stat for attack and list it as a skill, that cost more points like BESM use to do according to Genere!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    any system can be cobbled into another. it's just that some are more work than others. i'm about to start my first ever m&m game here, so i'll get back to you on how i wind up feeling about it. =D

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast