Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: mini's

Downloads
    Uploads

mini's

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Opinion-

best non collectible fantasy mini's on the market???

D&D minis are good, but I'm not paying $60 on eBay for a "rare", or trying to get a group of orcs together from random packs...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reaper, makes a great line of minis, course, you have to paint them. Well, actually that's not completely true. They just started releasing pre-painted minis as well, I guess to compete with Wizards and the pictures I've seen of them look pretty good.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reaper. I really like their artists.
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reaper will also release, in the next few months, a line of monster sets that are pre-painted sets of 10 monsters. So you can buy 10 skeletons or orcs without buying 100 bucks of other miniatures.

I love the durability of D&D mini's but WotC really screwed us when they attached the collectible moniker to the product. I agree that it is outrageous to pay 60 bucks for a "rare" figure. I paid for the blue and red dragons but the amount of material you get is worthy of 40 and 60 dollar price tags respectively.

Another company is putting out area of effect spell miniatures like fog banks and prismatic walls. I also saw that Dwarven Forge is playing around with concept models for castles and vessels in their next sets. Now if only Dwarven Forge would put out a cheap plastic line of their products that we can actually afford.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    Now if only Dwarven Forge would put out a cheap plastic line of their products that we can actually afford.
    That's why I went with WorldWorks Games, cardstock models and with Hirst Arts plaster molds. Both products allow you to create your own terrain and you don't have to be a major artist with either. Granted, the amount of work with each product varies, with Hirst Arts taking more work, but they both make as good terrain as Dwarven Forge's stuff, you just have to put a little bit of work to do it!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll have to look up WorldWorks Games.

I wish I could find a program or a company that makes modern city stuff for Hero System or M&M. Most stuff out today is geared towards the fantasy genre.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    I'll have to look up WorldWorks Games.

I wish I could find a program or a company that makes modern city stuff for Hero System or M&M. Most stuff out today is geared towards the fantasy genre.
    Four words, WorldWorks Games Mayhem sets! They work really well for modern/near future city stuff! Car Wars games, superhero games, zombie survival games, etc. Check those sets out, you should be happy with them!

I've got so many of their sets made, I'm running out of room to store them and I keep making more! All you need after you've bought the sets is a computer, cardstock, ink and a printer and you can go wild!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went to Icon USA to get a bunch of orc minis for my campaign. They sell a lot of the D&D minis as singles. I'm not much into the more expensive minis, though. I went with Icon USA because they were relatively cheap (at least for what I wanted).

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

ive used games-workshop minis in my games, the Warhammer fantasy battles mini and the Lord of the Rings minis fit, but the warhammer 40k minis are a bit futuristic, though i would love to see my players go up against a squad of chaos marines...

Vulture the Great

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just took a look at the reaper site. Very cool, i was looking for a reason not to invest in 4th edition mins and now i have it. I think they will do well with the non random aspect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    IronWind Metals make quality sci-fi mini's (BattleTech anyone? ). Thier VOR mini's would be perfect for any fantasy setting. They're soooooooooo cute!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reaper for the quality pewter. D&D minis for the cheap but durable. And no, i don't like the collector aspect either. I just want a reasonable price for what are reasonable minis you can toss in a box. I have a small but growing collection of the D&D minis. Mainly as monsters and encouter fodder. One collectable set where duplicates are never a problem.

I looked over the Worldworks site. (Sigh) They are getting some of my money. I like card models and the price is reasonable even if I do have to print them myself.

My only problem is storage and transportation. I'll have to talk to the guys at the Oakland Guild about a box of cardboard scenery.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't care about randomness/DDM rules/etc, common/uncommon D&D Minis go by the lot on ebay pretty cheap. Expect a whole bunch more lots going up as DDM2 comes in full force and people figure out what minis are invalidated.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!