Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite Villain of All Time - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Villain of All Time

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Sephiroth hands down

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    You actually make him sounds like a hero. Do you believe that the ends justify the means?

Good choice!!
    Do ends ever justify means?
    Even goals that appear to be beneficent to others don't appear to justify anything outside of the specified goals themselves. Methods are a separate issue for justification purposes. A goal. . . ensuring the dominance of the Marvel Universe's mutant-kind, for example would generally seem to be extremely worthwhile from the mutant person's point of view, and there are plenty of mutant lives at stake to prove his point.

However, how is that goal judged against Spider-Man's crime occlusion goals (since he doesn't prevent crimes or arrest after the fact, he stops crimes in progress)?

Both Magneto's and Spider-Man's goals appear focussed on saving certain lives but not particularly others (q.v. mutants vs the people of New York City). Or put another way, each man has a given field of focus that he doesn't venture from for the most part. So why is Magneto called a villain, but Spider-Man a hero?

I think a big part of what the Marvel Universe shows us is a setting where the efficacious are rewarded with the title hero and the inadequate are subjected to vilification. Success rate seems to be the key factor to heroism rather than intentions. Indeed the events of Marvel's Civil War support strongly this supposition in that once a so-called "hero" made a mistake that caused deaths (thus failed in an extraordinary and noticeable fashion), all the other heroes were re-evaluated on the basis of that failure, no matter their intentions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The beauty of the X-Men series is that it showed that the terms 'hero' and 'villian' are subjective; as in the case of Magneto. In the Sentinel series, Magneto is the leader of the mutant resistance. In that context, he does become a hero for the remaining mutants.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No one has mentioned the ultimate villain of Dr. Doom?!? Heck with trying to take over the world... He conquered the entire universe TWICE!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    No one has mentioned Galactus or Annihilus either and well Annihilus has everyone beat most respects.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Favorites

I would go with Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious as my first with Darth Vader as second. I would place Khan third, Thulsa Doom 4th, Revan 5th.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you talking about Ricardo Montabon as Khan from Star Trek?

He was a kick-ass villain from the 60's

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    I would go with Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious as my first with Darth Vader as second. I would place Khan third, Thulsa Doom 4th, Revan 5th.
    Now see, Vader easily surpasses the Emperor as a villain.

Genghis Khan however always makes me think of Vandal Savage. (I think it's a name thing.)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah. I was thinking of Khan from star trek. I don't know, Sidious manipulated everything and everybody all the while smiling to the Jedi. I think that is more villiany than what Vader did.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't forget Vader actually killed a ton of children...personally

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Joker is always smiling. Unless he's frowning. And then he's really gonna jack you up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still sticking with my choice of Joker...

In the Titans East Special they just put out, the Titans from the future are fighting the Joker and Raven sucks him into her cloak dimension to confront him with all his worst nightmares. You know what he did? He just laughed because it was all so funny to him!!!!!

That is some hardcore @!#$ my friends!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    Don't forget Vader actually killed a ton of children...personally
    Yes. But do you remember who tempted into the actions which lead to this? Sidious tempted Anikan, he turned to the dark side, became Vader and then went on a killing spree. IF Sidious hadn't been there, would Anakin still have turned to the Dark Side?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes....as evidenced by the tribe of sand people with light sabre wounds near Mos Eisley. He committed that atrocity prior to becoming friends with the Chancelor. It was his fear of losing Padme that drove him to the Dark Side...not Sidious.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, since I read very few comics, and so have a limited range, the Joker stands out as one favorite, but let's not forget Ra's Al Ghul! His wit and intelligence make him tops over a psychopathic mass murderer any day. Anyone can go insane and kill massive amounts of people, (there was a mall shooting just yesterday, not to mention the high school and college massacres in the past few years) but to hold such control and resources, on a global scale, takes a lot of effort.
    Last edited by Stuart Sexton; 12-10-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast