Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Superhero of All Time

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I agree. I think he just ends up getting written a lot by writers who think he's nothing more than a walking blender...
    Oh yeah. They get hold of this character with incredible depth and instead he's just going to shred stuff. Why not deal with some of the emotional depth to the character!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I agree. I think he just ends up getting written a lot by writers who think he's nothing more than a walking blender...
    You might not want to look at Ennis' take on him then =) It's just as simplistic, but the opposite. Off the top of my head, in Punisher stories, Wolverine has been:

--Punched across several states by the Hulk
    --Shot in the crotch with a rocket launcher, skeletonizing him from rib-cage to knees
    --Had his face scoured clean of flesh, to his adamantium-laced skull, with a shotgun
    --Left in wet cement with a steamroller parked on top of him

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    You might not want to look at Ennis' take on him then =) It's just as simplistic, but the opposite. Off the top of my head, in Punisher stories, Wolverine has been:

--Punched across several states by the Hulk
    --Shot in the crotch with a rocket launcher, skeletonizing him from rib-cage to knees
    --Had his face scoured clean of flesh, to his adamantium-laced skull, with a shotgun
    --Left in wet cement with a steamroller parked on top of him
    Yes, I also dislike the "I can completely regenerate from a finger-nail shaving" take on Wolvie. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Days of Future Past summed it up perfectly for me. Wolvie jumps in front of the sentinel to allow the other X-Men to escape, gets fried by an energy blast at point blank range and collapses to the floor as a smoldering adamantium skeleton. End of story.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. The idea that Wolverine can be killed doesn't make him less of a bad boy, but actually more IMHO. If he can be killed, but does what he does anyways, then he's risking himself. If he can't be killed, then so what? No risk, Wolverine will survive like always. Ho hum.

Courage isn't the absense of fear, but the ability to overcome it. Without fear, there is no courage. I like my heroes couragous, not immortal.

Maybe that's just me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is exactly what I was talking about. You start talking about Wolverine and everyone has to pitch in, pretty soon the title of the thread will have to be changed to "Wolverine Chat: Why the brown costume was better." or something.

Not that I would mind all that much he is fun to talk about.
    Normal people worry me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At least no one is blasting Wolverine. Instead, we're blasting what inept writers have done to/with him.

That's an improvement, right?

Oh yeah, I like Batman too, because he's just a guy who's devoted his life to being a superhero and made himself into more. No special powers or anything, just great big brass ones! (Just to try and get it back on topic ).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Igbutton View Post
    This is exactly what I was talking about. You start talking about Wolverine and everyone has to pitch in, pretty soon the title of the thread will have to be changed to "Wolverine Chat: Why the brown costume was better." or something.

Not that I would mind all that much he is fun to talk about.
    Yeah, this isn't really a message board for focused discussion- off-topic is ok because as you said, it's often stuff that's fun to talk about.

I second Deadpool as a favorite- you'd think that with all these people getting superpowers, more of them would be absolute jerks. Heck, all it takes is a little message-board anonymity to encourage most people to cut loose- imagine what super powers would do?

It's what made Robert Downey's Iron Man great, and Hancock even remotely watchable. Bendis' take on Purple Man in Alias is another good example- if your power was to make people do what you say, how big of a d*** would you wind up being?

I was really looking forward to this kind of thing with The Irredeemable Ant-Man, but that book didn't even come close. He steals a suit of armor and lies about it, and dumps a girl in a direct, non-weasely fashion because he's tired of the relationship, and that's about it? That puts him at foe-of-the-month level at best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To me, this is a bit like asking 'which child is your favorite?' (Fortunately, I don't have children.)

Oddly enough, the characters that get my imagination going the most are the ones I probably had read the least: Dr. Strange, Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner was my favorite), Dr. Fate, the Atom, the Supreme Power universe of characters, the pre-Kirkman Ultimate X-Men characters, etc. I liked the Shift incarnation of Metamorpho in the beginning of the latest Outsiders, as well. Oddly enough, although I don't care for the Superman characters much, I had a soft spot for the last Superboy in the most recent Teen Titans book.

I also always liked the original New Mutants cast, as the majority of my comics were X-Men related, and I've been a bit disappointed that the group of mutants that I grew up with, having been told that they would be the next generation of X-Men, are for the most part tossed aside after the disaster that was Rob Liefeld. Cannonball and Wolfsbane were the only ones that really ever "made it" to the big leagues, and even at that those characters are more or less flat. No one in the business seems to know what to do with them. I really liked Illyana Rasputin and Danielle Moonstar. Karma rapidly devolved into a cycle of repetitive BS where she was alternately searching for or taking care of her siblings. Otherwise I've always liked Madrox and Colossus.

Basically, there are a lot of characters that I like but I don't feel have been handled well, handled well consistently, or I feel have gotten "the shaft." So much so that I can't pick a favorite. If any of several dozen characters that I like was handled well consistently, I could probably identify that character as my favorite. Unfortunately, the characters I seem to like usually wind up suffering from bizarre mischaracterizations, inexplicable personality or power changes, pointless deaths, and so forth so much that I can't.
    Last edited by Dyser; 07-13-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    then it was battle of the planets (g-force, for the not-in-the-know

i love the 70's scripts (keee-OP!!!), i HATED the rescripted version in the late 90's...
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Downloads
    Uploads
    THANOS rules the universe.

And Poet from Rising Stars.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeljearley View Post
    THANOS rules the universe.
    Yes, but Thanos was most definately a villain and not a hero.

I liked him a lot too, incidentally.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanos was both. He did save existence after all. As well as neutralizing The Beyonder.
    At the level he played the game, I'd almost say Villian and Hero don't apply.
    His intent was always selfish, and he was defiently more evil than good.

It's like the Magento question. While defiently not a hero, and certainly not good aligned, I hesitate to striclty classify them as villians. They often played the villian, but weren't villianous.
    Doctor Doom, Strife, Mr. Sinister...these were villians.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanos was both. He did save existence after all. As well as neutralizing The Beyonder.
    At the level he played the game, I'd almost say Villian and Hero don't apply.
    His intent was always selfish, and he was defiently more evil than good.

It's like the Magento question. While defiently not a hero, and certainly not good aligned, I hesitate to striclty classify them as villians. They often played the villian, but weren't villianous.
    Doctor Doom, Strife, Mr. Sinister...these were villians.
    Indeed, it's a very blurry, thin line between selfishness and villainy, but there is some distinguishing philosophical arguements.

"I" consider Magneto a villain in the sense that he valued himself and his own ideals to the point that he was willing to dominate all who did not fit those ideals. Case in point, Magneto believed mutants superior to humans. There is nothing inherently "wrong" about his right to believe so, but he becomes "villainous" when he decides to act upon his belief to have humans "treated" as inferior.

Selfishness or close-mindedness becomes "villainy" when it infringes upon the rights of others to lively freely, openly and unharassed.

Magneto may have felt perfectly justified in his own mind...but road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

My 2 cents.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hehe. *Agree*.
    However, I have two words that further blur that philosophical line.

Greater Good

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hehe. *Agree*.
    However, I have two words that further blur that philosophical line.

Greater Good

Tricky thing that "Greater Good".

In my experience, the ends do not justify the means...instead, the ends are as important as the means. You must not only have good intentions, you must also resort to good methods to achieve them ("good" meaning to hold utmost regard for and value of all life and liberty even of those who disagree with you).

"Villainous" means to achieve a "good" end is still "villainous".

"Good" means to achieve a "villainous" end is still "villainous".

Only "good" means to achieve a "good" end can create a truly "greater good".

That's why "heroes" never seek to kill the villains, because to resort to a villain's own methods is to become villainous...even if used for the "greater good".

Last edited by Webhead; 07-18-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast