Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Favorite Superhero of All Time - Page 10
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Superhero of All Time

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    some of my characters are even based on revisions to poorly written female characters simply as my personal protest against such stupidity; especially in the supers genre.
    I would love to run a player with such a take on a character!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by magic-rhyme View Post
    I would love to run a player with such a take on a character!
    i would like to play a supers game again, my current group is having great fun in both of our d&d fantasy campaigns, but i could use a change of pace and genre. i'm comfortable with a group or just two or three, so long as it is pbp. unfortunately, i don't have time just yet, but i will keep you in mind for when i do!
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    i recall reading so many decent stories with strong, well written, female lead characters as a youth
    My players recently confided to me that they can almost always tell which supervillain will be the most challenging by how he or she handles gender.

If one of the supervillains is either a strong, impressive female or a male who eschews traditional gender roles, that particular supervillain is going to be the most powerful or the most cunning of the group.

If one of the supervillains acts like a 1950s gender stereotype or otherwise old-fashioned, either a female who seems to exist only to show off her body or a male who raves about he-man sports and women "knowing their place", that supervillain is almost always going to be incompetent no matter how allegedly powerful he or she might be on paper.

After a moment thinking about it, I had no choice but to congratulate them on something I hadn't noticed myself!

I don't see any reason to change that. I only asked them not to reveal it to new players but to let them figure it out on their own.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm, comparing a gender-driven metric of maturity with competency in overall life... that's an interesting paradigm.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm, comparing a gender-driven metric of maturity with competency in overall life... that's an interesting paradigm.
    IMHO, it's all right to set up a trap that only sexist players would fall for, but it is wrong to use a deus ex machina to push them into the trap -- or to have the trap hunt them down. And if the sexist somehow doesn't fall for the trap, well good for him or for her!

That difference between a good GM *letting* sexists fail and a bad GM *making* sexists fail is a fine line too many people don't know how to walk with any success.

I still remember one male player who jumped up and shouted that I was cheating by making the female NPCs too good at combat because "everyone knows women don't know how to fight!" I didn't have to make a response because the female players at the game immediately let him know in no uncertain terms just how wrong he was in his sexist beliefs about women. I don't think he quite believed them, but after that, he did become a bit more open-minded about women. (I've also met a few female players who were sexist about male NPCs and male players.) And then there was the convention D&D game where a player freaked out when an historically accurate gay NPC was lawful good, yelling at us that only chaotic evil characters could be LGBT. I won't even get into the racist players I have encountered! Such people may deserve our compassion, but their prejudices should never get our affirmation or tolerance, not even when they threaten to ruin the game session for everyone unless their prejudices receive overt validation (a threat which works with far too many game masters).

Fortunately, the sexists, racists, homophobes, religious bigots, anti-intellectuals, etc. are still only a small percentage of the gamers I have had to deal with in real life. They seem to be more common online, as I've noticed in some of my times in the chatroom, for example, or at least louder, but I can avoid them most of the time in real life. They make for memorable stories, however!
    Last edited by magic-rhyme; 04-11-2014 at 05:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have had an interesting historical background in roleplaying... i was raised, and am, a Christian. my first gaming group was run by an elder in the church, with a bunch of deacons, teachers, priests, and other young men as gaming companions. most of my gaming companions have been, if not Christian themselves (many were), then individuals who not only believed in something as strongly as the rest of us, but was able to carry on respectful discussions of our similarities and differences. as a result of my childhood upbringing, personal experiences, witnessed events, and so forth - i wound up being racially colorblind, yet with a deep respect for the value in the differences that our races, cultures, environments, and backgrounds bring to shared experiences. in a similar fashion, i have no particular gender bias with regards to the capabilities or potential of any given individual's ability in tasks and challenges; yet i also acknowledge that men and women are generally not the same, that they have different strengths and weaknesses that are generally (though not always) common to each gender, have differing mentalities and understandings of common experiences which bring value and necessary diversity to shared experiences, and can receive value (individually, as a gender group, and as the human whole) from gender specific activities.

from my mother, my religion, and my own experiences and witnessed events, i learned that each individual must be permitted to choose for themselves their path, even when others disagree with it. i was taught, and attempt to practice in everything that i do, that there is an ultimate good, with laws and rules which apply to all humans without exception - but that humans will perceive different ways, means, and rules as representing that ultimate good, and their right to choose their path must be preserved, even when, especially when, it is a path with which there is disagreement. i have occasionally found myself defending people with whom i utterly disagree, simply because others who also disagreed with them were not respecting their right to choose their own path.

as applied to gaming, these aspects of my soul have prevented me from gaming with anyone who did not have a similar respect for life, choice, and individual worth and value. i am forced to admit that i have had very few bad gaming experiences, simply by virtue of apply a certain standard to everyone with whom i might game, and making it a habit to watch people before committing or agreeing to a game. finding a point of disagreement, and seeking to show another point of view is always very revealing of what manner of person i am speaking with. (i think that when i deliberately applied this last test in chat a few months ago, is where it revealed one or more very poor gamer or gamers who frequent the chat, and as an aftereffect tagged me with the false and inaccurate reputation of a troll. attempting to correct this misinterpretation was not well received, so i've simply let it be since. )

i was recently accused of being an elitist, which rather bothered me. it resulted from a discussion of various editions of d&d. the funny thing is, that my comments did mirror those of elitist types, though the line of logic and reasoning that led me to make the comment that got me accused was in fact, very very different. it was also not helped by the fact that the individual in question insisted on using one narrow specific metric of measurement, when i had already specified a different metric and gone to some trouble to detail it. in any case, i see that communication is so fragile, a web of perceptions and refusal to change an impression, a fog of differently interpreted meanings to the same set of words.

insofar as setting traps go, i can say nothing against it, after all, the texts of my religion teaches that using stratagems and cunning is permissible against an enemy. however, one must be very careful of whom they claim as an enemy, as well as the spirit, intent, and purposes with which they go about their proposed tasks. as for me, there are some who attempt to chose me as an enemy, though all too often, i refuse to grant them the status of an enemy. i think to date, i have only one individual that i am willing to claim as an enemy.

same gender, mixed gender, and change-gender individuals... i am in a peculiar situation which regards to such people. on the one hand, i firmly believe that making such choices violates the laws that the creator and parent of the human race requires of all humans without exemption, and as such, i generally characterize such individuals as 'making a wrong choice'; however, on the other hand, they have the right to make that choice, and while i do not happen to agree with those particular choices, i will defend the right of each and every person to choose for themselves their path, without exception.

a discussion as to my years of research, prayers, ponderings, and contemplations that led me to that conclusion in my belief is really beyond the scope of this post, and as such, i must ask that readers inquire of me in more detail - perhaps in a pm to preserve the tenor of this post thread - should they desire to debate or disagree. ^^

most of my memorable stories are of interesting things that happened in game, since i have almost never actually gamed with poor gamers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i am forced to admit that i have had very few bad gaming experiences, simply by virtue of apply a certain standard to everyone with whom i might game, and making it a habit to watch people before committing or agreeing to a game
    A luxury one does not have when one game masters at a convention as a scheduled game master, as I have, or game masters an open unofficial game at a convention, as I have, or accepts appointment as the primary game master for a specific gaming group composed of friends but also guests of the friends, as I have.

Also, I have game mastered long enough in this life that I have run players ranging in age from 13 years old to 65 years old, which means there is a greater chance to come across someone who has become set in his or her ways or someone young enough to be parroting hatefulness overheard on FOX News or Limbaugh and also too young to understand truly what he or she is saying.

I have had a number of people who first played with me when they were teens later tell me in their adult years that I was one of the influences on their developing a more open-minded, progressive, intelligent (and spiritual!) approach to life and turning their back on the prejudices of their parents.

i was recently accused of being an elitist
    An old joke goes that the word "elitist" simply means "someone who is not as mentally lazy as I am -- and I resent it!"

insofar as setting traps go, i can say nothing against it, after all, the texts of my religion teaches that using stratagems and cunning is permissible against an enemy
    Not TRAPS but TESTS, to use your sense of the word "trap".

A trap is intended to harm an enemy.

A test is intended to tempt an ally into a learning situation -- or give said ally a chance to demonstrate that he or she has already learned the lesson.

Think Yoda's tests for Luke or Professor McGonagle's tests for Harry Potter. Not the Rebellion's traps for the AT-ATs or Lucius Malfoy's traps for Harry Potter.
    Last edited by magic-rhyme; 04-14-2014 at 04:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i cannot go to cons in any event, though i have gamed with and for people of many ages and backgrounds. as such, it seems unlikely that i shall ever have the experience of gaming at a con.

does that joke go along with the one about the person from out of town with a briefcase? ^^

trap or test, both concepts are covered, and in their own unique circumstances have conditions by which it is permissible to use one or the other. so i actually did mean traps in the deadly sense, as well as tests in the more general sense; which latter nuance you were good enough to detect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Silver Surfer is my ultimate favorite character. I relate to the forlorn love life, the desire to be lost amongst the stars, i struggle in a battle with the devil all the while trying to stick to a strict code of honor. I always dream about leaving earth and never coming back. I just want to journey into space much like Norrin Rad did on Zen-la.

Downloads
    Uploads
    clintsylvania, now that's what I'm talking about! I was so sad to see the classic Jack Kirby/Stan Lee Silver Surfer (and Galactus) not represented well in the Fantastic Four movies (or for that matter, for the movies themselves to receive lackluster treatment). I love the Silver Surfer - definitely my all-time favorite!!!

This thread has strayed somewhat from the topic, but there have been some interesting discussions here. Well, have a great weekend, all!
    QT Games will soon release our first fiction anthology set in our Cosmoverse Campaign Setting. We have several projects in the works. We're also hard at work revamping and expanding our Cosmothea Roleplaying Game, which features fantasy, science fiction and superheroes. Not trying to take anyone away from Pen and Paper Games, but if you're curious to take a peek ... visitors are always welcome!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent choice! The Silver Surfer is my second fav.
    "A man that carries a cat by the tail learns something that he will learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate to say it. I don't have one. I never developed a firm affinity for any super type. Several have points, none prevail.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Favourite superhero of all time, I'd probably have to go with Spider-Man but that may be a bit of a cop out. But he is what made me fall in love with superheroes to begin with and he's still the character I have the most comicbooks of.

Now, favourite comicbook title? That'd be Astro City.
    Designer Compose Dream Games | Simple Superheroes: The RPG of Infinite Powers and Possibilities is now on Kickstarter!

www.ComposeDreamGames.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    For some reason I approve of this post.
    ;P
    "A man that carries a cat by the tail learns something that he will learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast