Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Superhero of All Time

Downloads
    Uploads

Favorite Superhero of All Time

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Okay guys,

Who is your ONE favorite hero from any comic book publishing company?

Name the one hero you hold above all others and give one or two sentences as to why you hold this being in such high esteem. If there have been multiple incarnations of this hero (ie. Green Lantern, Flash, Robin) feel free to specify which one you like most.

Let's not get into a discussion of who is better or why did you say that reason instead of another. We can save those for another thread.

I'll kick off the thread:

My favorite hero of all time is the Green Lantern, specifically Kyle Rayner. I like the Green Lantern character because they start out as normal people whose sole ability is their indomitable willpower. I like Kyle more than other other guys because he has the greatest imagination and didn't just fly around with boxing gloves and catcher's mitts like the rest of the Lanterns.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Amazing Spider-Man was the first comic I ever bought, and he remains my favorite super hero mrphty-mmrph years later.

I like Wolverine and Cap and most of the other Marvel guys, and I've grown to enjoy Justice League and Batman.

But Spidey beats 'em all, hands down.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As I've posted elsewhere, I never really got into superheroes as a kid. I preferred (what passed for) horror and humor comics.

But if I had to pick one, it would be Batman. Apart from the dark, brooding aspect, the main part I like is that he's human ... not a man from another planet, not the product of weird science, not the wielder of magic or alien artifacts beyond human understanding. Granted, he does have a seemingly limitless supply of cash and a mind and body at the peak of human development. (And an obsession bordering on insanity.) But there's something gratifying about a hero who thinks through problems and uses his wits before his fists.

There's a few others that I feel should get honorable mentions:

• She-Hulk, who besides gratifying one or two of my little quirks also uses her brain as well as brawn (at least under some writers). In the latest series, what I've read of it, there are some problems that she can *only* solve as a squishy, fragile human.
    • Concrete isn't my favorite comic, but I like the aspect of a super-strong and invulnerable guy who'd rather just get on with his life, thank you very much.
    • The Tick, mainly for playing with and subverting typical comic-book tropes, and for being so darned funny when Ben Edlund was doing it.
    • Winged Victory, from Astro City, mainly because in addition to fighting crime herself also organizes self-defense training for women ... and whose focus on women has created controversy.
    • Doctor Manhattan, from the Watchmen, simply because he behaves more like a godlike superhero would.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Green Lantern - Hal Jordon

Actually, most all Green Lanterns are it. I love the concept, normal individual given a device/power, still having mortal weaknesses. Further, living by a code and making a difference.

2) Superman

Just always liked him.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well if Manga...

are considered comics then my favorite hero is Unit 01 from Neon Genesis Evangelion who edges out Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell and Vampire Hunter D; If not then I can't really beat Spider-Man (from the comics, not the movies).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Batman. He is the superhero who most often faces death. A simple bullet could kill him. He never gives up, which sometimes means putting himself into a situation where he knows he could die.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a tie for me between Spiderman and the Green Lanterns. As a former soldier the concept of a group of individuals with the right training, tools and a strong sense of justice kind of resonates. And for spidey take away the powers and throw some weight on him and that was me in high school.
    I like heroes I can identify with
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first favorite hero as a child was the Flash. It turned out later that I found out that his powers in the DC Universe are quite powerful, and that the Flash is very creative in utlizing his powers in various way.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am very drawn to the first Green Arrow, Oliver Queen (Green Lantern SUCKS!!)

But my favorite has to be Spiderman. It was his attitude and quick tongue that won me over. He is SUCH a smart-asssss!!

Plus, his girlfriend has red hair. You GOTTA love that!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    I am very drawn to the first Green Arrow, Oliver Queen (Green Lantern SUCKS!!)

But my favorite has to be Spiderman. It was his attitude and quick tongue that won me over. He is SUCH a smart-asssss!!

Plus, his girlfriend has red hair. You GOTTA love that!!

Yeah I wouldn't kick MJ out of bed for eating crackers either.

As for your dislike of Green Lanterns...I'm going to need your home address so I can fly over and deliver my rebuttal in person!!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All I can answer to that is *THWIPP!!!* and one of lines that I have based my life upon... from the Green Arrow when the Green Lantern had thought he had died - "Sure I'll give up. Ten minutes after I draw my last breath."

(I only say that about GL because of an inferiority complex!)

BRING IT ON, RING BOY!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My all time favorite would have to be Batman. My favorite portrayal would have to be Batman: The Animated Series. This series captured all that made Batman great. He is a regular human and relies on his gadgets and physical strength to accomplish everything. He is honorable and there is science behind just about everything he uses. Now whether that science is practical in real life is another discussion all together but what I enjoyed most was that everything Batman did seemed feasible. His dedication, intelligence, and quick thinking is what made Batman great.

As far as beyond reality super heroes go I would have to say Wolverine. He is still very much human and generally just brawls with all of his enemies. His amazing regeneration allows for him to keep on fighting the good fight long after other super heroes have had their butts kicked thoroughly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a tough one. I was never a huge comic book guy. I never read the big popular ones like Spiderman, Superman, or Batman. When I was younger I read some X-men, a few Xfactor, Thor, Fantastic 4, Moon Knight and a couple Green Lantern.

My favorite series would have to be X-men. Wolverine is awesome. Rogue is hella powerful.
    Thor was different, but what I was looking for at a time.
    The Silver Surfer rocked... Fantastic 4 not so much.

I think I would have to go with Moon Knight as an overall hero. He was the most human and probably the most flawed.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know a super hero I never got? Aquaman. Now I didn't read the comics but I've seen him portrayed in many cartoons and he always just comes off as... "why? seriously what the *@%@?!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    You know a super hero I never got? Aquaman. Now I didn't read the comics but I've seen him portrayed in many cartoons and he always just comes off as... "why? seriously what the *@%@?!"
    Wonder twin powers activate! {In unison}
    Form of a bucket of water!
    Form of a flying squirrel!

What's up with that?

Ya, most of the cartoons really shouldn't be mentioned. Just too horrifically bad to imagine.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast