Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Savage Worlds] Any Savage Worlds players?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

[Savage Worlds] Any Savage Worlds players?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Just curious. I wasn't that impressed with it -- it reminded me of GURPS with a different dice mechanic -- but some people I've met enthusiastically confirm the "Fast, Furious, and Fun" slogan.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 07-22-2008 at 02:35 AM.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a copy, but I've never had the chance to play it unfortunately.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a 1st edition copy of the rules and have read through them twice. I haven't run it yet, but it does appear to be a very quick and easy system. One of the main things I like about it is that you don't have levels per say like DnD and you don't have classes either.

I know they have a 'levels' system in the game, but it's not quite the same as the DnD version and you get to enhance your character every x number of experience points, I think it's every 5, but my memory isn't always the best! The level system is more to allow you to choose better edges (their 'feats' system) as you improve, not that your character gets better as they level. It's kind of hard to explain in a short post.

Anyway, for the most part it looks to me to be a good system, and I'll be running a game in October. It's a one shot that takes place in the Deadlands setting. If my players really like the game, I might run more than just the one shot, but I'll make some world modifications if it becomes a continuing game.

From looking at the rules though, they're fast and furious claim appears to be pretty accurate. Oh yeah and the other thing I really like about the game is that so far, when they've done a new edition, I think we're at 2nd right now, they aren't changing the rules, they're editing them. Nothing really changes from rules edition to rules edition, they end up tweaking the current system to fill holes in the rules.

And they release a free PDF of what's different between each edition. But like I said, they don't really change the rules so much as edit them! That's worth a whole lot of points to me!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I LOVE Savage Worlds.

I didn't like the idea at first when reading the first edition and or the online "test drive" (about 2 versions of the Test Drive ago...), and I didn't particularly enjoy the first incarnation of Deadlands (from what SW was derived somewhat), but I have ran it many times now and this is one truth...

It is freaking BRILLIANT in actual play. It plays exactly as they say, Fast! Furious! Fun!! It is a breeze to prep, has just the right balance of rules, and every player who sits at a game comes away having really enjoyed the experience.

If you live in the South Puget Sound or are willing to travel to Tacoma, I am starting a game in July (see my campaign post here on P&PG).

If you can, hit a demo at a local con or find a local group and play it. It really is a solid game system that just works.

I still use all my other books for reference, ideas, etc. But I am pretty much all Savage Worlds now as far as system goes...

Also, in my experience, the fiddly-bits that are included in some systems relating to corruption, insanity, terror, emotions, humanity, plot-changing, et al don't work very well. They are generally not recieved well by the various players I have ran a game for. I guess in the end I am more of the "these things come out in the game in roleplaying" versus having to have a mechanical representation in the system. YMMV of course!

Savage Worlds provides the basic resolution framework that then fades behind the story and the interaction. Because it's fast, you don't have to pay the system much attention.

Just my two cents...
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post

I know they have a 'levels' system in the game, but it's not quite the same as the DnD version and you get to enhance your character every x number of experience points, I think it's every 5, ...

Oh yeah and the other thing I really like about the game is that so far, when they've done a new edition, I think we're at 2nd right now, they aren't changing the rules ...
    First, for every 5 XP you get an Advance. With that you can;

• Gain a new Edge
    • Increase a skill that is equal to or greater than it's linked attribute by one die type.
    • Increase two skills that are lower than their linked attributes by one die type each.
    • Buy a new skill at d4.
    • Increase one attribute by a die type. (but only once per Rank).

Heroes (called Wild Cards in the system jargon) have Ranks showing how experienced your Wild Card is;

0-19 XP = Novice
    20-39 XP = Seasoned
    40-59 XP = Veteran
    60-79 XP = Heroic
    80+ XP = Legendary

As your character increases in Rank,this can open up new Edges with special rules that make your character more capable. Not to mention all the Advances that just make you more capable to begin with.

It's also a good measuring stick to determine the character group's capabilities for encounters, etc.

The only major differences from 1st to 2nd is in how wounding\dying works and weapon damage. They simplified the wounding system and weapon damage is listed as a die type (you roll) + attribute (if applicable) instead of a set bonus (so a sword does STR + d6 instead of STR +2). The STR would be the die type of your STR attribute.
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought I would add the basic system summary:

A character is composed of Attributes, Edges, Hindrances, and Skills. Attributes are rated by a die type (d4, d6, d8 , and d12, then d12+1, d12+2, etc). Skills are related to an attribute in that they cost less if you buy a die below the attribute die, and cost double for each die over your attribute die type.

The Attributes are Agility, Smarts, Spirit, Strength, and Vigor.

Edges are those special abilities, talents, and training that set you apart (kind of like d20 feats.). You can take one major and two minor Hindrances that you can then trade for additional skills, attribute dice, or edges. (I really like how the hindrances are limited and controlled. It makes playable characters with some charm and doesn't take all day to make the characters).

Skills are a manageable (short and concise) list with some customization possible for setting\genre specific applications as desired.

Action\Conflict Resolution: If you have a skill use that die. If not use the attribute the skill is based on but you make the roll with a -2 modifier. Wild Cards (them is you hero types) also get a special Wild Die (a extra d6) to throw. You choose the highest result (it's one or the other). Now being special and all that you also get to be especially dangerous. If you roll a 1 on both your dice, you have done something specially bad and critically failed.

(Note: Unskilled attempts apply a -2 to any die you choose for that attempt)

die roll + modifiers = result. Your target number is a 4 (usually). For every 4 you get over the target number, you get a raise (which can do extra damage or determine extra success).

In melee combat your TN is the parry score of your opponent. In ranged combat the TN is 4 with modifiers for range.

In combat, initiative is determined by an Action Deck (a regular deck of playing cards). You act in card order with ties resolved in reverse alphabetical order of suit (Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs). If you draw a Joker (yes you leave both in), then you can act at any time in the order and get a +2 bonus to ALL your rolls. Whenever a Joker is drawn, you reshuffle the deck. I use the oversize card deck from PEG and they are super awesome. It makes combat order super easy to determine. There are edges that allow you to draw 2, keep 1 and eventually draw 3, keep 1.

The Action Deck is used for other purposes in many of the Plot Point campaigns to determine encounters, or treasures, or all kinds of random stuff (all optional but can add a flair of random fun).

There you go. The Savage Worlds system in a nut shell. From a Nut.
    October Northwest

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been intrigued by Savage Worlds ever since it was first released. I used to play the old Deadlands system upon which Savage Worlds is roughly based. From what I've read, Savage Worlds cleans up a lot of what made the original Deadlands slow and clunky.

When the new Explorer's edition came out, I came dangerously close to buying it for the $10 price tag, but I've managed to talk myself out of it as I don't need "yet another system" and probably wouldn't be able to talk my group into playing it.

Thanks for the info though. I've heard a lot of people have good things to say about the game. I may get around to picking it up someday.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its ok but... I have other systems I like better for everything I've tried with it so far. Though I'll admit the fan created star wars book is awesome.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads

Savage Worlds = Low Prep Time

The real benefit of Savage Worlds is the fact that prep time is cut to a bare minimum. For my D20 games, I usually require at least one evening ahead of time to get ready for a session. With Savage Worlds, I can put together an entire adventure in less than an hour without sacrificing any of the important details.

This easy prep gives me more time to think about story and how I'm going to fill in the character's five senses in a scene. Instead of trying to put together a villain with a complete set of feats, attacks, spells, equipment, etc., I can think about what the villain is like and why he/she is a villain.

Plus, the plot point system in the world books is great for a long-running campaign. The heroes start off as low-level characters and work their way up in levels while advancing the overall storyline of the world itself. It guarantees that the heroes are part of a larger picture while still magnifying their roles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played 1e deadlands liked some stuff, didnt care at all for the plot/fear system. My current DM is considering running a Savage Lands super hero game and I want to know a bit more about it. He tells me the supers game is called "necessary evil" and the story is that all of earth's supers died fighting an alien race and only the villans are left. sounds pretty cool if a bit strange... I'm wondering...

1) do any of you have expirence with this?
    2) how does it compare to champions/hero?
    3) how defined is combat and martial arts etc? (are there hit locations, and hth manuvers?)
    4) I hear there are templates which act as classes... I've hated superhero games with classes in the past (too limiting) and am wondering how that works... how do you pick or choose your powers?
    5) how do super powers work? say you've got a firestar type character... what determines the use of your fire powers? making flames bigger, more dammaging, etc? is it just a skill roll or is it better defined?

THX

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    ...My current DM is considering running a Savage Lands super hero game and I want to know a bit more about it. He tells me the supers game is called "necessary evil" and the story is that all of earth's supers died fighting an alien race and only the villans are left. sounds pretty cool if a bit strange...
    Indeed. The next setting that I want to pick up for Savage Worlds is Necessary Evil. From what little I know about it, it is as you describe: all the Earth's heroes died battling invading aliens, leaving only the super villains left. The problem is, now the aliens are continuing their plot to dominate/destroy the Earth and the super villains are the only ones powerful enough to stop them.

All my comments below pertain only to the "core" Savage Worlds rules. Necessary Evil is supposed to include expanded rules for Super Powers and other things to bring out the potential of a supers campaign. Having not read the book, I can't comment on what it brings to the table in that regard.

1) do any of you have expirence with this?
    I have not read Necessary Evil, but I have read Savage Worlds. I am really anxious to begin running games using the system because it is very simple to use, yet flexible enough to create PC who have their own unique abilities.

2) how does it compare to champions/hero?
    Nowhere near as complex and consequently nowhere near as detailed and customizable in terms of game system. IMHO, I tend to favor a swing toward simplicity for the most part, so I'm okay with sacrificing the granularity of HERO system for the speed and ease of Savage Worlds, but that's my style. Whereas a full HERO system character can take an hour or two to fully flesh out, a Savage Worlds character will take more like 10 or 15 minutes.

3) how defined is combat and martial arts etc? (are there hit locations, and hth manuvers?)
    While there are "combat options" which include the ability to make called shots to specific hit locations or "fight defensively/aggressively" etc, there are not detailed "attacks" or "attack maneuvers" such as spin kick or uppercut or anything like that. Likewise, combat skills are kept very simple with all melee combat using the "Fighting" skill and all ranged combat using the "Shooting" skill (except thrown weapons which use "Throwing"). If it's detailed GURPS: Martial Arts style action you're looking for, Savage Worlds isn't built for it (but could easily be house-ruled).

4) I hear there are templates which act as classes... I've hated superhero games with classes in the past (too limiting) and am wondering how that works... how do you pick or choose your powers?
    There are no "classes" or set "templates" that you have to choose from. Character creation is free-form based on a sort of point-buy system. The points you spend on "Super Powers" either give you more powers, more power points to use them (using powers drains your pool of "power points" which slowly regenerates) or makes you better at using them.

5) how do super powers work? say you've got a firestar type character... what determines the use of your fire powers? making flames bigger, more dammaging, etc? is it just a skill roll or is it better defined?
    Powers work on an "effects-based" system and are divided by effect. So, you have powers like "Bolt" which is a power that launches a damaging ranged attack. The "descriptors" or "trappings" of the power are left up to the player. Thus, the "Bolt" power could be a blast of fire, or it could be a robotic rocket-fist or even a swarm of stinging insects. Mechanically, they all do the same thing. There is the "Elemental Manipulation" power that allows a character to manipulate/create from their element of choice. A Firestar heroine would probably take such a power.

Powers work from a skill roll against a specific target number or against an opponent's defensive roll for powers that target another.

Hope that helps.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    went over to the savage worlds site last night... they are completely sold out of NE but are printing a new 2e to go with their "explorers" 2e core book (all of 10 bucks... how awesome is that!) <grumble grumble, never paying more than 20 bucks for a damn gaming book again ever grumble grumble> some one also mentioned that they are comming out with another supers campaign/world book I expect it will be more traditional comic orientated. planning on getting both when available...

also I am friggin amazed by their forums... they have all these posts asking how to create xyz powers etc or general rules questions and most of the time its answered first by one of the designers... some of those have like 10,000 posts on their records, I've never seen a gaming company offer so much access to their designers and staff, amazing.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My limited experience with their staff is also of the highest quality. I had picked up a copy of the Explorer's Edition book from my FLGS only to discover that I had gotten one of the copies with binding problems 3 days later, so I e-mailed them about what to do about replacement. They responded the next morning letting me know that they would ship me a replacement right away. It looks like it is scheduled to be delivered today.

That very prompt and curteous response over a $10 book was very encouraging and I think they've earned my repeat business in the future. Besides, there's a bunch of Savage Worlds settings that I want to get my hands on.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking over some books from savage worlds now... one issue I am having is that many of the campaign books include special rules and edges that seem to me like they should have been in the core rules... for example their deadlands campaign has rules for "superior kung fu" which includes various martial styles and bonuses for those styles... the supers game NE does not have those edges (diffrent licensee) so no martial arts (holy climbing claws bat man how can you have a super hero game without ninjitsu?) and their vietnam game "tour of darkness" has many rules for firearms (supressive fire, sniping, shell shock, etc) and edges for firearms that I would think should have been in the core rules, at least as options...

now they do say GM's can import any of those rules and edges etc into other campaigns however, if I have to go and buy almost every supplement to get those few pages of rules, even if the books are only 8-20 bucks each, I'm looking at hundreds of dollars of dammage to my wallet and 98% of that information I probably wont use. I guess there are issues with licenseing and IP ownership but, sigh, there should be a way around it to get me what I should already have without bankrupting me.

but if thats the only complaint I have (and one I... ahem... hope I can find a simple way around) I'll still be very pleased with the system.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, the core system goes for a very broad sort of appeal to keep things simple and condensed to a single (6x9) volume of 160 pages. It doesn't give you everything that you might want or might think of during a game session, but it gives you the foundation upon which to fill in any blanks that you need filled.

In general, I'm in favor of the "start broad and let the GM create more detail if he wants it" style rather than the "give them everything and then have the GM discard what he doesn't want" mostly because the latter leads to larger, more cumbersome to browse, more muddled and more expensive books.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast