Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
[BRP] Runequest and Basic Roleplaying, anyone?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: [BRP] Runequest and Basic Roleplaying, anyone?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

[BRP] Runequest and Basic Roleplaying, anyone?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So, no love for Basic Role-playing or Mongoose RuneQuest?

Basic Roleplaying and its ancestor/descendants are among my "second tier" of favorite generic systems. Unfortunately, the only extant versions are Call of Cthulhu and Mongoose's RuneQuest.

CoC has its own little niche, to the point where I suspect most people see the system as only for CoC. In fact, Chaosium released quite a number of BRP-based games in the 80's ... but only CoC survived.

Mongoose RQ ... well, it's Mongoose, although it sounds like some of the people responsible for their shoddy editing have been sacked. (Not all, as a demo page for Runequest Companion demonstrates; read the bullet list on the second page. The duplication made it into the SRD, too.) Mongoose have even patched some of the more controversial rules in RQ, notably the "skills over 100%" rule. Plus, they still have the problem of selling overpriced slivers of books (although an announced RuneQuest Deluxe might fix that). But, ultimately, MRQ is tied to fantasy gaming, much as I'd like to see extensions into modern and science fiction.

Chaosium insists that its Basic Roleplaying omnibus is coming out this November, so we may see the line revive a bit. Or not.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 07-22-2008 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Remove Savage Worlds references
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love Basic Role-playing and RuneQuest. I played RQ3 for years and we created our own House Rules for it since we called it MainQuest as the rules were written.

We played a successful Superworld campaign with multiple GMs.

I ran a great Elfquest game for a long time which had an equal number of women and men.

We played a great Pendragon campaign as well.

We created our own western version of BRP/RQ and called it GunQuest. It was great. The group was either lawmen or outlaws. Those that died made up either a lawman or outlaw, and then the two groups would shot it out in a blaze of glory.

I own but never actually played Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer.

We played Hawkmoon briefly.

I got the love and am hoping up-and-down waiting for the new version of BRP to be released!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the new RuneQuest system, course, as always, it doesn't do exactly everything I like, so I'm going to have to modify things about it, you know, add home rules, but there are quite a few others who have done similar 'expansions' to it, so I can use them as templates for what I want to do.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a semi-official preview of the new Basic Roleplaying book at http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/ba...ew-images.html
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chaosium is offering a limited edition of the new d100 Basic Role-playing game. They are calling this edition zero. It is not the finalized version of the new d100 BRP; that will be released early new year.

However, if you can't wait for the final version, then you can purchase this unproofed version. It is full price and $39.99. However, Chaosium is offering free shipping on all purchases through 12/16/07.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_...oducts_id=1165

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    However, if you can't wait for the final version, then you can purchase this unproofed version. It is full price and $39.99. However, Chaosium is offering free shipping on all purchases through 12/16/07.
    Cool. Thanks for the link.

It's funny though. If WotC did something like this, people would completely loose their minds. You'd probably think you were walking the streets of Sudan, as mobs of people rioted and called for the beheading of all of the senior Wizard's staff.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your welcome. Yes, I suppose that WotC fans would go crazy and riot; and I'd be right there in front of the tanks myself.

WotC has dipped into the cash cow once too often for my tastes, and that's all I say on that subject.

Chaosium is in the position where they can do something like this, and it's mostly due to the request of BRP forum users. So, the people that requested it are the ones who are going to buy it, and, therefore, can't really complain.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Edition Zero

Does anyone on the boards have Edition Zero of Basic Roleplaying? If so, do you want to post a mini-review? Are you using it in a game?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    Does anyone on the boards have Edition Zero of Basic Roleplaying? If so, do you want to post a mini-review? Are you using it in a game?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    I have copy 32/420. I am currently reading through it. I would be glad to give a mini-overview of it. I am not running a game with it yet, as I still distlling the rules in my mind.

This is the pre-production release, so there are some minor issues. Over on the BRP forums, we have started compiling some of the issues.

I would be glad to answer or look up and specific questions you have about it in the meantime.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm aware of the forums on http://www.basicroleplaying.com, where the truly interested can find out more than they ever wanted to know.

However, I was more interested in initial impressions and opinions. If you're still reading the book, that's fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My initial reaction is that it's great!

It's really a GM's tool box which contains various rules from all the Chaosium games over the years. It presents various options on how to handle things from the various games such as category modifiers or strike ranks from RuneQuest.

It will take some work for a GM to decide which items to pick and choose. It's sort of like a Chaosium rules cafeteria. You can move down the counter and pick and chose the rules you like from the various chaosium games over the years to build your own campaign. Consequently, you may find different rules from BRP game to game, or GM to GM.

There is an Optional Rules checklist sheet provided so that you can check off the various optional rules you are going to use for your own campaign.

It presents rules for how to create characters based upon the campaign power level.

The default is to assign so many percentiles for Profession skills and some percentiles for Hobby skills. However, it presents the EDU characteristic as an optional rules and gives rules on how to determine starting skill percentiles based off the EDU characteristic.

So no matter which Chaosium game(s) you have played over the years, you'll find something familiar to you.

The nice thing is the compiled weapons and equipment lists, which include examples from different eras or genres. There are ancient weapons, modern weapons, and sci-fi weapons; as well as equipment.

There is a small bestiary to give you some basic creatures.

There are about 45 Professions outlined in the book. Each Profession has ten skills each; either all pre-determined or you are allowed to chose one or two skills that are pertinent to that Profession.

Personally, I like the Wyrven cover, but apparently that is not going to be the final cover.

It is done in the classic Chaosium/CoC font. Personally, I like it. Probably because it's so familiar. Some people have stated that they think the font is outdated or too old. I guess it's a personal choice. There is some nice new art inside as well some classic pictures from the various Chaosium games.

Since this edition is really just a GM tool kit which allows you tailor your own BRP game with optional rules from the various games over the years, it really is going to have to be supported by campaign books. Otherwise, it might flounder for new GMs or those who don't have the time or inclination to devote some work to developing their own game worlds and/or campaigns.

Overall, I am extremely pleased. This BRP book was long overdue. BRP is the first and orignal universal system, and the last to put a complied 'universal' book out on the market of the in-house rules systems.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I caved and bought my own copy (#129). I plan to skim through once, then drill down into specific parts (and maybe add to the errata?).

So far I've skimmed only up to the Super Powers section of Chapter 4, but I'm liking it so far. I have my own ideas for magic/psi systems, but the sample systems are definitely food for thought.

Most importantly, I like having all the rules in one place, excluding world-specific parts, but including all the variations and options that have accumulated over the years.

BRP is a little retro, and less elegant that FATE, but it's a decent compromise between crunch and simplicity, without the Paradox of Choice that sometimes afflicts GURPS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    So far I've skimmed only up to the Super Powers section of Chapter 4, but I'm liking it so far. I have my own ideas for magic/psi systems, but the sample systems are definitely food for thought.
    Guess I need to check out the system and see if I like it.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it ever coming out? I think I've been waiting since August IIRC. I'm hoping for some sick twisted BRP/Unknown Armies combo of rules. Hang on someone is at the door again... It was some funky guy in yellow and he said I should just shut up now before the world implodes.