Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you know about 4th Edition

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you know about 4th Edition

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    What did they change?

How did they make it better, faster, and dynamic from level 1 to 30?

What are these character roles they're talking about?

Is it true that spellcasters don't have to stop casting spells?

What do you know?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't say much about the game itself, but if it's as boring as their video presentation of it and as insulting as the teaser, gamers'll walk away before they even roll a die.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sqvNhlDgEs

It's even better than this???

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
    as insulting as the teaser, gamers'll walk away before they even roll a die.
    In what way was it insulting?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When I saw the trailer, and the rendition of 3.5 (2003), of how the gamers were having to look up grappling, then I felt as if D&D/WotC was saying, "yep, we screwed you with a difficult product (both versions 3.0 and 3.5), made a ton of money off you, and now we've created our new line of toys that are so much better, you're gonna be suckers and buy this and in 10 years, we're gonna run commercials showing just how bad our prior product (4.0 and 4.5) was and how much of a sucker the buyer is." - and that's when I closed the web page.
    Last edited by Moritz; 08-17-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's pretty much it, right there.

WOTC just came out and said, "we know we produced crap, and we know you know it. And you bought it anyway! We love you guys because you're dumb, and you'll run en masse to buy the next load of crap we produce!"

I know others' opinions of D&D differ, and I'm sure others' opinions of the teaser and presentation will differ. That's justwhat I got out of it; however, I thought it was kind of funny in that I haven't played D&D in a long time.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really? I didn't get that out of it, but I suppose it's true. It just seemed like they were making fun of themselves, the rest were issues that came up after the fact. I identified with each of those groups.

Maybe you're right. I usually ignore insults, even the ones I see on this board. So, it may be just from habit that I don't go gnashing my teeth.

What I see is that they have changed D&D enough to call it 4.0. Insult or no, those guys fixed things they missed the last go around. Things that I would love to see fixed from prior versions.

The biggest for me is the spellcaster's battery.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Spellcaster's battery?

Is that like the Mana bar in any video game that involves spellcasters, or the mana stuff in the unearthed arcana?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    Spellcaster's battery?

Is that like the Mana bar in any video game that involves spellcasters, or the mana stuff in the unearthed arcana?
    Yes! The 4.5 edition, which is due out October of 2011, will be strictly a computer game with as much imagination as Evercrack or WorldOfWarcrack.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone noticed the close connection of 4 and $ on your keyboard? Coincidence, I think not!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright, let's settle down here a little, guys. I understand that we're all upset about 3.5 being "invalidated" (which, by the way, it won't be; you can still play it, and there's seven years of material out for it. Also, some of the supplements they release will be edition-proof, with no edition-specific mechanics, so you can use them with 3.5. And really, how many more feats and prestige classes do we need?), but let's not forget that any good RPG is a work in progress. Seriously, try and create a game and get it right on the first try. I've tried, several times, and I always have to go back to the drawing board. I always come up with a better way to do something that didn't quite work. It's the same with D&D.

I don't think that WotC is saying "thanks for being dumb and buying a shoddy product". I think they're saying, "we made the best product we could at the time, and there were problems with it. We're admitting that. Now we're making something better, and fixing those problems."

I realize that I probably sound like a corporate shill at this point. I promise I'm not. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of what WotC has put out hasn't been, from my perspective, worth buying. Third-party publishers, like Malhavoc Press, have been a lot more daring with the d20 System, with more spectacular results (I think that <i>Iron Heroes</i> is a far superior product to core D&D, personally). However, <i>Star Wars Saga Edition</i> has been my favorite d20 product to date, largely because it was so daring with the system. It changes a lot, with great results. WotC has said that that game was, in some ways, a method for them to test mechanics for 4E, and if that's the case, I think it'll be great. So that's where I'm coming from.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    Has anyone noticed the close connection of 4 and $ on your keyboard? Coincidence, I think not!
    OMFG it's a conspiracy !!!!!!!!!!

ROFL

By the way, the acronyms you see above will be featured in the 4.5 and 5th editions of D&D to better simulate the video game environment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelgadas View Post
    I realize that I probably sound like a corporate shill at this point. I promise I'm not.
    SHILL! SHILL! He's a plant, ban him, he'll be spewing WotC propaganda and converting the weak to a false god and making them give their money away freely.

wow, suddenly I'm reminded of some other organization.

Zelgadas,
    It may sound like we're totally pissed off and having knee jerk reactions (no, not me, ever). But really, we're just making fun of the whole thing because one day we all know that we're gonna cave and drop a grand on these new books. And then wake up 4 months later and there'll be a whole new series of books that we've gotta have. It just never stops!
    But really, it's all in good fun and making light of the whole situation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First let me just say that, yeah, I will cave & get the new books. But only out of a love for the game & the genre. I'll pick up the first 3 core books (PHB, DMG, MM) and flip thru.

That said, I think I'm going to become one of those "old edition" players- with my edition being 3.5. I've invested money, sure, we all have- but the time is what gets me. My current "main" group has played since 1994. We've run only 4 campaigns in that time. Transfering our 2e world to 3e was a labor of love. I just dont have it in me to do it again.

I have a nice collection of 3e books that suit my style & tastes- and now I can round out my hard copy collection when these 3e books go up for sale on Ebay in a year or so.

Eh, I might drop by a local gaming store or hang out (there are a bunch here in NYC) and try to snag a 4e game- but I'm gonna keep it the way it is for the time being.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Wow, 4th edition is here... let's all go out and buy the new books now!

By the way, if anyone want to sell off their collection of used and obsolete 3.5 books, just send me a PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast