Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Complete listing of Sci-Fi/Futuristic games

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Drohem do you know if that website is still current/run? The last modified date I could find on any given page is Feb 2007. A lot has come out this year.
    This site has been active since like 1994. I found Sept/2007 on the bottom of this page.

http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/site/about.html

Mr. Kim's site has been reliable for years. His project is overwhelming large, and frankly, I don't know how he finds the time if he has a regular life.

I am kind of jealous of him. I always dreamed of doing something like this, and then when I stumbled onto his site, my balloon busted. Why bother now? His site is so complete and full of information.

Although, I have contributed some information to him and he has incorporated into his site, so I know that he takes all the help he can get.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm shocked that BattleTech didn't make his "Bigass list of Games". Wonderful site though. It would be even more complete if there were product lists available for download

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm shocked that BattleTech didn't make his "Bigass list of Games". Wonderful site though. It would be even more complete if there were product lists available for download
    BattleTech isn't a RPG; it's a board game. However, Mechwarrior is the RPG derived from BattleTech and it is listed on the site.

Post Script- Before anyone gets their panties in a twist...yes, it can be argued that BattleTech is a boarderline RPG. However, under most accepted definitions of a RPG, BattleTech doesn't make the cut.
    Last edited by Drohem; 12-30-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed. I was hoping to see it since Mechwarrior could be used with it to really flesh our a setting but for most intents and purposes, not to mention most common setting, it is a Wargame. Glad MechWarrior made the list. Thanks for the link Drohem

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a cool link. Very cool indeed. And completely unknown to me. Reading his list I learned about several RPGs I'd never heard of. Its a shame he completely avoid supplements although I can easily see how that would make his appointed task far too overwhelming.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    BattleTech isn't a RPG; it's a board game. However, Mechwarrior is the RPG derived from BattleTech and it is listed on the site.

Post Script- Before anyone gets their panties in a twist...yes, it can be argued that BattleTech is a boarderline RPG. However, under most accepted definitions of a RPG, BattleTech doesn't make the cut.
    Well, perhaps not panties... but my pilot suit is definitely bunched up.
    BattleTech is not a boardgame, laddy. It's a miniature(s) wargame. Technically.
    Enough people know that 'technically' MechWarrior is the RPG expansion to BattleTech, RoboTech, AeroTech, Etc.Tech, so that we seldom have to make such a distinction for the plebians. It's an understood implication. When Battletech is listed under "RPG," most of us know what was meant - those who don't, have little trouble finding out.
    Let's move on, now, Shall we?

p.s. It 'is' a nice list, by the by.

~Sevryn
    Last edited by Sevryn Blakk; 12-30-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two things...

Quote Originally Posted by gdmcbride View Post
    I see one of my personal darlings missing:
    All Tomorrow's Zombies (a supplement for All Flesh Must Be Eaten)

Battlestar Galactica
    Gary
    1. All Tomorrow's Zombies - are you referring to the plot/world/campaign setting Eden put in one of their AFMBE books... or has this been expanded into its own supplement/accessory book? I am hoping for the latter. BIG All Flesh fan. D. Stoelting is a friend of mine here in South Bend. He turned me on to Eden's works about 5 or 6 years ago.

2. Battlestar Galactica? I could not find this one. Who produced it? When? Is it old skool or based off the new series?

~Sevryn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Apparently, your pilot suit was riding up and did bunch your panties.

Battlestar Galactica RPG is based off the new series.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/games/sfw16936.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevryn Blakk View Post
    Well, perhaps not panties... but my pilot suit is definitely bunched up.
    BattleTech is not a boardgame, laddy. It's a miniature(s) wargame. Technically.
    Enough people know that 'technically' MechWarrior is the RPG expansion to BattleTech, RoboTech, AeroTech, Etc.Tech, so that we seldom have to make such a distinction for the plebians. It's an understood implication. When Battletech is listed under "RPG," most of us know what was meant - those who don't, have little trouble finding out.
    BLASPHEMY!!! HERETIC!!! How can you go out of your way to clarify BattleTech when you don't even know the universe?! BattleTech was created by FASA in 1984. In 1986, Palladium Books published Robotech RPG based on the Robotech series. The BattleTech series includes: BattleTech, CityTech, MechWarrior, AeroTech, BattleSpace, and BattleForce. Extended game systems include: Succession Wars, BattleTroops, ClanTroops, and Solvaris VII. For shame sir, for shame

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevryn Blakk View Post
    Two things...

1. All Tomorrow's Zombies - are you referring to the plot/world/campaign setting Eden put in one of their AFMBE books... or has this been expanded into its own supplement/accessory book? I am hoping for the latter. BIG All Flesh fan. D. Stoelting is a friend of mine here in South Bend. He turned me on to Eden's works about 5 or 6 years ago.

2. Battlestar Galactica? I could not find this one. Who produced it? When? Is it old skool or based off the new series?

~Sevryn
    1. All Tomorrow's Zombies is a sourcebook for AFMBE. It was released in August of 2007 and is easy to find. Amazon has it for $16.50.

2. Battlestar Galactica the RPG was released by Margaret Weis Productions, was released in September and is focused on the new series.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just want to add a new SciFi game came out in august ( yes it is released by my company in the interests of full disclosure)

StrikeForce: 2136 -- Dark Future hard Scifi. uses a percentile system and included the toolset for creating new tech as the play wish.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds interesting. The time line though isn't quite what I would consider "future" however. Here is a review for anybody who wanted to look this one up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to see someone list Rifts and its relayed setting Phase World.
    Skimming through the posts I noted this . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    Steampunk is an idea I've always loved. However, it is so difficult to simulate or convey it. . . .
    If I'm correct I've seen a d20 system supplement that was made for steam punk - tended to HG Wells / Jules Verne etc. . .
    (Though I forget the name . . .)

Downloads
    Uploads
    How are HG Wells and Jules Verne settings considered steampunk?

Downloads
    Uploads
    How are HG Wells and Jules Verne settings considered steampunk?
    I guess you might consider them that as they show Time Travel, travel to the moon and undersea journeys in a sci fi light while using Victorian / pre-Victorian technology.
    I believe this is some of the basis of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - with all of the period scifi technology.

Steampunk http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_punk
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction which came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely usedóusually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era Englandóbut with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or a presumption of functionality. Steampunk is often associated with cyberpunk and shares a similar fanbase and theme of rebellion, but developed as a separate movement (though both have considerable influence on each other). Apart from time period and level of technological development, the main difference between cyberpunk and steampunk is that steampunk settings usually tend to be less obviously dystopian than cyberpunk, or lack dystopian elements entirely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast