Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evil Characters/Game

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I've never ran or took part in an evil campaign but I've certainly (and preferably) run and played in morally ambiguous ones. Games where there is no black or white, just varying shades of gray. The perceived good and the actual good might be polar opposites. Doing something supposedly evil might serve a greater good (greater good...). The great religious leader who sends your group out on a quest to find a holy artifact has intentions of destroying it. That assassin you helped apprehend is actually a member of a secret society charged with protecting the land from a corrupt leader.
    "I'm putting off procrastinating until next week."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definetely had my share of "morally ambiguous ones" games.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a game once (non D&D) where the GM told me that I had been tainted by some evil influence. It was a solo campaign and those few months of playing were like.... indescribable. Suffice it to say it rocked. But, got old eventually.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never really enjoyed evil campaigns, so never played/ran one. But I seem to be the exception and not the rule.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In a world where all the 13 year old punk kids who's mommy and daddy use WoW as a babysitter, we find many of them favoring the Horde side of the game because they can be 'evil'. When it's just a free pass for them to act out and be little turds.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    In a world where all the 13 year old punk kids who's mommy and daddy use WoW as a babysitter, we find many of them favoring the Horde side of the game because they can be 'evil'. When it's just a free pass for them to act out and be little turds.
    Solution... do not game with 13 year old punk kids.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never run an evil campaigne, but I played in one. My character was a doppleganger. It was fun going around like an assasin and changing shape from day to day. It kept the other players confused for a while, thinking they had lots of strange friends, one at a time.

The game came to a rough end when the GM decided to have us try and destroy the local vampire lord.

What's with his abbility to summon demons? And us with few majic swords or other items? REDO!!! REDO!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    In one of my last campaigns, I allowed certain players to play evil characters. The campaign had three separate parties, where each player played a character in each party. Although the party that stuck together the best (as well as was the most successful) was the party without any evil PCs, the evil PCs were easily some of the most memorable. Sure, they can throw a monkeywrench in party dynamics, but, if played right, can really pay off in the end. As usual, anything remotely like this requires a lot of communication between the player and DM to be correctly pulled off.

As far as my playing experience goes, I don't think I've ever actually played one, but I've played enough "morally ambiguous" characters that the other players thought were evil. These have always been some of my most favorite characters because I insist on playing them as a member of the party, rather than as just some dude who's there just to "get his" and anything else be damned.

It seems like there is a lot of latitude for players who want to play evil characters play them and still contribute to the party in a positive way. Batman, ruthless and merciless as he can be, is still part of the Justice League, you know?
    Your pal,

Adam Bomb

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Evil characters need not be monsters, just greedy with an ends justify the means attitude.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zachary View Post
    Solution... do not game with 13 year old punk kids.
    Oh, well there's that.

Funny thing about it. When we're in LFG or LFM (looking for more) mode, we often ask what the player's age is before inviting him/her/it.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    Oh, well there's that.

Funny thing about it. When we're in LFG or LFM (looking for more) mode, we often ask what the player's age is before inviting him/her/it.
    True for an on-line game. But in real life we have the luxury of screening people out on sight.

I've only played once at a game shop in a game that had an open invitation to anyone. It was horrible, never again. Out of eight players, two were the 13 year old punks you described, and another was a guy in his 20s with an IQ of 50 who was affectionately referred to as "Speed Bump".

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only played once at a game shop in a game that had an open invitation to anyone. It was horrible, never again. Out of eight players, two were the 13 year old punks you described, and another was a guy in his 20s with an IQ of 50 who was affectionately referred to as "Speed Bump".
    Dude, I'm so opposed to that medium that it sort of makes me throw up a little. I haven't, nor will I ever run a game for an 'open invitation' setting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    True for an on-line game. But in real life we have the luxury of screening people out on sight.

I ran an open game in a shop for a couple of years. Some days were much better than others. It usually was more hack and slash than I normally play, and almost needs to be with a revolving door. If a player showed promise or seemed like a decent person, I would invite them to one of my regular games. I did get many Magic/ card players, video game types, and fresh kids. I often had to tell myself I was giving back to the game I loved. I don't know if it did help the game spread or prosper, but I did come away with 4 friends/players to inject new life in my old groups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12