Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What's your favorite settings in GURPS

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Banestorm (a.k.a Yrth)

5 8.06%
  • Infinite Worlds, Time Travel, or Alternate History

17 27.42%
  • Transhuman Space

10 16.13%
  • Traveller

5 8.06%
  • Other Science Fiction

15 24.19%
  • Other Fantasy

17 27.42%
  • Modern, Historical, or Pulp

14 22.58%
  • Horror or Conspiracy

7 11.29%
  • Supers or Psi

15 24.19%
  • Other (please explain below)

11 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite GURPS Settings

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I love the Reign of Steel setting. Very satisfying for me on many different levels... post apocalyptic, which is great, a robot apocalypse, which satisfies the future tidbits they teased us with in Terminator, and the majority of it is about resistance efforts, which are some of my favorite tropes in storytelling.
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Horror was always my fave...Illuminated Conspiracy running a close second.

Peace & Light
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Downloads
    Uploads
    GURPS Conan because I'm a big Robert E. Howard fan.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Twenty years ago I created a character for the mage who started the Banestorm. He's appeared in some of my fanfics. My major inspiration for him was Avatar, the irascible, older and still bolder mage of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. If you can find him, he can help you--for a price.

What's the D.A. stand for? Don't ask! Although he knows hundreds of spells by now, his specialty (big surprise) is the Gate college, so he can be found on virtually any Earth if the Game Master feels like it. There might be more than one of him (Clones? Duplications? Versions from alternate worlds?), or different vintages of him--he does admit to some occasional time travel.

Unlike Avatar, D.A. Alvarson is not a technophobe, and is perfectly happy to use gadgets (and trade in them), though he is not a Gadgeteer. Despite his Dark Elf background, he'll work with any race. On many Earths, he holds Swiss citizenship--appropriate for his neutral, shades-of-grey worldview. His prices are generally high or very high, but he will always deliver unless the customer shows genuine bad faith. His various enterprises (guilds, magic circles, megacorporations, mercenary armies, etc) are known as the "Grey Company." He usually dresses in greys (with touches of color.)

Female characters should take note of his Lechery (9).
    Last edited by oldgringo2001; 12-27-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Additional data

Downloads
    Uploads
    IOU nuff said.
    FNORD

Downloads
    Uploads
    I admit to being a real fan of old Errol Flynn, Robert Taylor and Stewart Granger movies. As such, Swashbucklers has a warm place in my heart. I love the little book, I admit. And this DESPITE the fact that I've never roped anyone into actually playing it save for one brief Pirate excursion as a birthday party! I also love Japan and Cliffhangers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking It does it all and so do we...

My group has used GURPS since , well, since it was Chainmail and Carwars/Autoduel. We've successfully and joyously used the Fantasy/Yrth setting (pre-Banestorm, we haven't played that world as of yet). So when people say GURPS doesn't do fantasy well, don't you believe them.

Supers was an obsession when it came out and we played that for several years to the exclusion of all else. We had played Champions, V and V and Heroes Unlimited before that.

I've ran Horror/Post-Catastrophe/Atomic Horror hybrid games several times that we enjoyed as much as Aftermath, Morrow Project or Gamma World.

We did a Bureau 13: Stalking the Night Fantastic setting in GURPS that went over very well even before Black Ops, Warehouse 23 and Illuminatti came out. Once those books came out, well, our campaign against the things that go bump in the night took on whole new levels of cool.

We even loved playing GURPS/Autoduel/Supers, lots of fun!

I love all the GURPS settings for the most part and freely mix and match. My players never know what to expect and it keeps them on thier toes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never actually gotten to play GURPS, though I own a lot of books. One of the settings I always wanted to play was horror or alternate history/time travel.

Something like Primeval, only not just limited to dinosaurs. Going back to different eras, and exploring them without the whole, "ZOMG butterfly effect!"
    Last edited by MisterBook; 01-04-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Humm... YES! Looking over the GURPS I've got I have more Traveler than anything else, but there is more Traveler than anything else.

Since i don't actually play GURPS I tend to go for splat books to mine ideas out of and I mine omnivorously.

I've certainly gotten a lot out of GURPS. And I'll go back to that well again and again.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've done GURPS medieval, Space, and Scarlet Pimpernel but I think I enjoyed Witch World the most. My poor copy is now dead, a victim of terminal glue failure.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you still have the pieces?

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think so, there may be a few pages from the center that got lost.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cut the spine all the way off as close to the glue as you can. Take it to the nearest office store (Office Despot, Staples, etc.) They can re-bind it with a plastic comb.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the TL 3 Fantasy setting. As a GM it is fun to add a bit of technology to the world and see what happens. I have even completely destroyed the tech while keeping the magic.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by inflatus View Post
    I like the TL 3 Fantasy setting.
    Do you mean Yrth (Caithness, Megalos, Tredroy, etc.)? Or just TL 3 Fantasy in general? (Dungeon Fantasy?)

Oddly enough, the thing I like most about Yrth is the conceit of medieval refugees reconstructing their society in an alternate Earth. The Church exists without a Pope, lords and a manorial system emerged from a random population of mostly serfs, and the non-human minorities (apart from elves, dwarves, and orcs) find niches within human society.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast