Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What d20 Modern or OGL settings and rules do you use?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homebrew Modern (incl. Horror)

22 30.14%
  • Homebrew Future

5 6.85%
  • Homebrew Past (incl. Fantasy)

12 16.44%
  • Dark Matter

3 4.11%
  • Star*Drive

1 1.37%
  • Media tie-in: Star Wars, Babylon 5, Stargate, Star Trek, etc.

5 6.85%
  • Gamma World

2 2.74%
  • Mongoose OGL books

1 1.37%
  • Spycraft

7 9.59%
  • Other (please explain)

15 20.55%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Favorite d20 Settings

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Id like to try and do a zombie apoc game with d20 modern, they should dedicate a whole module or core rulebook to it

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For a board game on the subject "Last Night on Earth" looks like a good one.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like the game has potential, tesral.

I enjoy and prefer D20 past.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My basic problem with d20 is the scaling and granularity. For a modern game it is clunky. I'm used to this for fantasy. As written they do not allow for nearly enough skills. The D&D bones showing through. Too many things are treated as feats that should simply be givens. Firearms are not that complex in use to require two feats to use a sub-machine gun. I have hit the target with every gun I ever picked up. Including those I was totally unfamiliar with. I have never had firearms training. Ergo, empirical data suggests they are over complicating firearms. Why? Because they had done so with weapons in D&D 3.

Ironically a archaic weapons proficiency feat lets you use all the weapons that non fighters need two feats to use in D&D. Archery and sword fighting are skills far more separated than long and short gun-dou. It is trying to get the same balance to the preferred weapons that D&D has, and to my mind failing all over themselves.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mutants & Masterminds 2ed

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    I have hit the target with every gun I ever picked up. Including those I was totally unfamiliar with. I have never had firearms training.
    Maybe you've just got a natural talent. Myself, I have never fired anything more than a pistol or a rifle. I couldn't say for sure I could hit a target with a three round burst from say an AK47.

Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Ergo, empirical data suggests they are over complicating firearms.
    Personal observation is not empirical data. If this were true, then we'd still be thinking the planet is flat and that flies were created by meat left to rot.

Empirical Data: Data derived from reliable measurement or observation
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/empirical_data

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Id like to try and do a zombie apoc game with d20 modern, they should dedicate a whole module or core rulebook to it

Check out Year of the Zombie by UKG Publishing. They did, I think, the best version of Zombie Survival Horror for d20 ever. I'm a huge zombie survival fan and that's one I would fall over myself to play. I have two copies of the hard copy book!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The reliable observation that I have successful used every firearm I have ever picked up and fired. Sorry but I never saved all the targets. An AK-47 is just a different kind of rifle. It's not a whole new category of weapon as far as function. You might miss with the secord two rounds the first time, but will quickly learn to keep the muzzle lower and let the gun walk up into your target. It is not rocket science here. Using guns is not as hard as swordsmanship by far. Certainly not as hard as Archery (And I do Archery). IRL guns were picked up as infantry weapons becase you can make a gunner in a week, it takes two years to make a decent archer. As far as range and accuracy the early guns were far inferior to bows in every aspect except training time. It wasn't until the mid 19th century that guns finally caught up with and passed the Welsh Bow in range and killing power. A man with a Henry rifle could fire faster and as accurately over range with a fraction the training.

Put Brown Bess against the Welsh bow, professionals on both sides. The Musket troops will be dead before they get in killing range. Volume of fire is on the archery side. 3 a minute for the gun. 20 a minute for the archer (conservatively). Gun effective range 50 yards. Bow effective range 200 yards. Training time, now we are talking. Two weeks drill for the Redcoat, two years for the Archer.

If you have to raise an army from scratch, which do you reach for?

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads

Just saying while you might be good when you first pick up a firearm, not everyone is. Especially when learning to fire bursts, that's why military train their soldiers as opposed to handing them a rifle, patting them on the butt and sending them off to war.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ouch! LoL
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's not a gun, that's a cannon in a gun suit.

The guy needs a pistol whipping for not warning her about the recoil and how to hold the thing.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chose Other, though i enjoy my pathfinder and D&D worlds, and have a longing to play some decent Heroes Unlimited campaigns... i am currently working on a few steampunk story arcs that will utilize pathfinder rules and such. Even found a site where i could incorporate "ironhides" (ie. Daleks) into the campaign. most of my group are Dr Who fans so i thought i'd throw them in there just for fun!

Mid-West Gamers Connect (MWGC) - Shad0fx!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456