Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What d20 Modern or OGL settings and rules do you use?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homebrew Modern (incl. Horror)

22 30.14%
  • Homebrew Future

5 6.85%
  • Homebrew Past (incl. Fantasy)

12 16.44%
  • Dark Matter

3 4.11%
  • Star*Drive

1 1.37%
  • Media tie-in: Star Wars, Babylon 5, Stargate, Star Trek, etc.

5 6.85%
  • Gamma World

2 2.74%
  • Mongoose OGL books

1 1.37%
  • Spycraft

7 9.59%
  • Other (please explain)

15 20.55%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite d20 Settings

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    I'm not too keen on the rampant and expected multi-classing, but that could be the old DM in me sticking its head up.
    *cough* choose other *cough* Jeez I really need to get something for this damn cold

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    How about no favorite. I've barely dabbled in this system. I will say that it has some interesting ideas I do like, the wealth system being my favorite. It will likely get "borrowed" for every non-fantasy game I run.

I'm not too keen on the rampant and expected multi-classing, but that could be the old DM in me sticking its head up.
    I assume you are speaking about d20 Modern.

Yes, it's the old DM in you. Give it a second look, and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Maybe not, but that's cool as well.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    I assume you are speaking about d20 Modern.

Yes, it's the old DM in you. Give it a second look, and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Maybe not, but that's cool as well.
    I don't play much "modern" RPG. Fantasy is my favorite flavor. When I do Modern it is usually Bureau-13 with a sort of off the cuff on the fly on-line thing. I have a game going now with Jay Hailey.

I frankly don't like classes for Modern play, too restricting. Give me a skill system. That said d20 Modern has some interesting ideas and concepts that bear examining.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted Spycraft in the poll. For me it's quickly becoming the only game system I want to play and I've played many, many different games over my 30 years of gaming. I know other folks have their favorites and I'm not going to try and convince others to my choice. One of the big factors for Spycraft for me was the robust skill system the system has under their system your skill based characters shine just as much as the combat oriented characters IMO. Another was the Dramatic Conflicts system for chases, hacking, seduction etc.. I liked that the character classes were 'heroic' meaning that they are more powerful than their counterparts in other game systems. I play these games primarily to play heroic characters. Every now and again I play the ordinary man and when I did it was Call of Cthulhu for me, but since the Crafty guys have released Back to Basics I can now play those characters under their system. So Coc is played with the Spycraft game engine now, and with Fragile Minds I can play the type of CoC that my group wants to play.

Someone asked about Star Fleet Battles. I've played and while it's the best starship combat game I've ever played it's very complex at times. ADB a few years ago went back to the drawing board after listening to player feedback at cons, and on their boards and redesigned the game to attract new players, it's called Federation Commander it's everything SFB was, but a bit more streamlined and easier to play. I enjoy it a lot more and it's easier to get new players to try it out, and it's not hard to upgrade to the more advanced SFB if you and your players find you like it, but we've never bothered to go back to SFB, Federation Commander works well for us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Federation Commander eh? This is something I will be tracking down. The only reason I haven't looked into SFB is that everybody has so far stated it is a bit on the complex side and can be quite time consuming. I'm all for good strategy sessions but the general feel of the feedback was that it was more cumbersome and not so much fun. Federation Commander sounds like it might be something worth picking up. Thanks for the referal ahzad

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Federation Commander eh? This is something I will be tracking down. The only reason I haven't looked into SFB is that everybody has so far stated it is a bit on the complex side and can be quite time consuming. I'm all for good strategy sessions but the general feel of the feedback was that it was more cumbersome and not so much fun. Federation Commander sounds like it might be something worth picking up. Thanks for the referal ahzad
    you can get a free demo of Federation Commander from ADB's website to see if you might like it before you buy it. http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Outstanding! You rock ahzad

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Outstanding! You rock ahzad
    no problem, just doing my best to spread the word about a great tactical starship combat game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i'll go ahead and check it out too. sounds interesting. =D might be the new star frontiers rules for my games. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    The 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook is the core book for d20 fantasy and has no setting tied to it directly. Forgotten Realms and Eberron are the officially supported campaign settings for D&D by Wizards of the Coast and each has a separate campaign book detailing the settings, and setting specific rules.
    That is not entirely accurate. The 3.5 PHB is specific to the Greyhawk campaign setting. They also support the Living Greyhawk campaign setting.

I voted for homebrew modern because I only just got into D20 Modern a few days ago. I have been DMing D&D games for many years though.

My all time favorite science fiction series is the robots and foundation series by Isaac Asimov, does anyone know if they ever made an RPG out of that? If not I will probably do it on my own one of these days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by someonelse View Post
    That is not entirely accurate. The 3.5 PHB is specific to the Greyhawk campaign setting.
    I couldn't find any direct references to the Greyhawk campaign milieu. Other than the name of gods and some spell names, I found nothing specifically in the 3.5 PHB relating it directly to the Greyhawk campaign.

Can you provide some examples or page references please?

Downloads
    Uploads
    uh.... ya, the names of the gods and the names of spells.

Downloads
    Uploads
    upon actually looking for a reference the only thing I can find is the image of a Greyhawk coin on page 168.
    The book is specific to the greyhawk setting, but it is neutral enough that it can easily be used in any setting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I disagree about it being suitable for *any* setting--I can think of many that it isn't suitable for. (There are too many nonhumans for Conan, for example.) But even if it uses the gods and species of Greyhawk, it's reasonably adaptable.
    GM of a Gaslight JL Mutants & Masterminds game, by PbP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by someonelse View Post
    upon actually looking for a reference the only thing I can find is the image of a Greyhawk coin on page 168.
    The book is specific to the greyhawk setting, but it is neutral enough that it can easily be used in any setting.
    Yeah, they just use those gods as examples so the paladin, cleric, and druid classes can be seen in context. The PHB is not specific to the Greyhawk milieu because there is no campaign information specifically dedicated to Greyhawk; i.e. no description of the city of Greyhawk and its environs, no maps, and no discussion of cultures.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast