Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Saga Vehicle/Trade/Maintenance Costs
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Saga Vehicle/Trade/Maintenance Costs

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Saga Vehicle/Trade/Maintenance Costs

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    In the regular d20 Star Wars game, maintenance and purchasing costs for starships was amazingly low. The players were able to establish a corporation, purchase other ships, and setup a trade route for little to nothing in costs. I always felt I was reading the books wrong.

Was this fixed in the Saga edition? Or was it more simplified?

Downloads
    Uploads
    How?

Can you explain?

So, I am going to say no that it hasn't changed in Saga since the intention was to simplify things.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    It would be my guess that only nobles had access to those kinds of resources. With the new talent that grants nobles 5,000 credits x noble level every time they level I could see it happening.

Otherwise, where are the PCs getting that kind of money from? I used transport cost anywhere between 20,000 and 50 - 75,000 credits. If you are giving them more money than this then there is really only the GM to blame.

I'm going to try to think this one through. A noble with the Wealth talent at level 4 gains 20,000 credits. Lets say they want to become the head of a shipping conglomerate so they buy a used transport. Unless the noble is a skilled pilot they are going to need to hire a crew to man the ship and load/unload cargo. Lets say, with the noble piloting, they need at least a crew of 3 at about 1,000 credits a month per crew member. Thats 36,000 credits (3,000 x assuming 12 months). Then there is the matter of docking fees. If she has a company established (there is a whole other set of fees, lets say another 3,000 credits to get the company licensed) she can probably get a good deal on docking fees. I would think 100 credits a day. There is obviously going to be some time spent in hyperspace, days even so assuming 365 days in a standard year, we'll say they are going to spend 75% of that time docked (assuming business is steady). So about 273 days docked x 100 credits = 27,300 credits. Then there is the matter of keeping the crew fed and supplied and possibly armed to repel pirates as well as keeping the ship stocked with consumables, thats about another 6,000 credits. Right now we are at 20,000 (ship)+ 36,000 (crew)+ 3,000 (business fees) + 27,300 (docking fees) + 6,000 (supplies) = 92,300 credits.

A noble with the wealth talent would gain 90,000 credits at 18th level, 95,000 credits at 19th level.

The above was just for a 4th level noble. That would be an entire campaign centered on taking on cargoes just to break even. It would get even worse if they try to establish their own shipping lanes. Then they will have to deal with the aggressive Trade Federation, who doesn't like competition at all. Pirates along unknown routes, which is what the route they are forging would be. Then maintaining/policing that route. It would be easier if they had assistance from the Republic for the Republic could help police and maintain the route but then they have to deal with the bureaucracy of the Republic. There's NO WAY they could do this during the time of the Empire. The Empire is waaaay too restricting, especially on shipping. They would have to deal with Imperial customs agents ALL the time.

Unless this is the focus of the campaign AND the PCs had the backing of an extremely wealthy noble, I don't see any PCs being able to do this on their own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tremayne has an excellent synopsis of the types of costs that can come into play for a shipping campaign. The other factors I can think of that might impact how much money your players are making is; did they take a loan to pay for the ship? Maybe the loan for the ship (if needed) was given out by a trustworthy source, but maybe there was a hostile take-over by a hutt, and they've jacked up the interest rate...

The other thing I was thinking of is how much are they making/being paid for each shipping run? Logically the company won't be willing to spend too much extra for shipping because at some point there's a threshold where the company might decide that its cheaper in the long run to buy their own stock light freighter and do the trans themselves. There's also the competition factor, there's a lot of freelance light freighters out there looking for work right? If the players are making too much per run, the company could probably easily find someone willing to do the job for less. This same concept would apply if the players are smuggling very high value or illegal items. There'll be someone else willing to do the job for less, and if the cargo is illegal or valuable, there's always the customs patrol or space pirates etc to deal with to at least add a level of complexity to the equation.

The only way I can think of at the moment for the players to be able to charge a lot per run relative to their operating cost is if the particular destination requires them to fly a particularly dangerous area, into the heart of the empire, or through a route ravaged by pirates etc, that other ship captains are unwilling to fly. If this is the case, each run could be a whole adventure by itself, and things should never go off completely smoothly. If they manage to escape from customs, the pirates or whoever is in their way, the players will probably start to earn a reputation, which will cause whoever their trying to evade to pay even more attention to trying to find them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is something that I am curious about myself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelbin View Post
    This is something that I am curious about myself.
    Any specific questions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing specific at the moment.

I plan on having my players find an abandoned ship that needs some work.

And this is giving me ideas on just how hard to make the whole issue of getting it fully function instead of just spaceworthy.