Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your Star Wars campaign

Downloads
    Uploads

Tell me about your Star Wars campaign

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Whether you are in a campaign or running a campaign.

I can't divulge too much info because a couple of my players lurk around here but:

Its set 3 years after Episode III and events did not transpire as you saw them in the movie. The players are just now figuring this out, getting bits of info here and there.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The SWd20 I ran was set 4000 years before the Battle of Yavin. The party consisted of a tech (who had a YT class transport that they used for smuggling/trading), a warrior type, and two jedi. Everyone started at level 7. The game was just after the Mandalorian Wars and the party went around seeking Holocrons and doing stuff for the Jedi Council, while doing their trading and learning about the rise of the Sith who were planning an invasion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mentioned in another post somewhere that I've been running a campaign off and on for about 14 years, spanning a timeframe from 2 years prior to Episode 4, to about 2.5 - 3 years after episode 6. I've had a few other people GM for me at times, but its been mostly me GMing.

The campaign originally started as a campaign for bounty hunters and all about bounty hunting. I made a character that was supposed to be Jodo Kast's older brother (this was before there was much information about him), who used Ubese style body armor and was into heavily customizing it. (I wanted to have armor with a lot of gadgets on it like Boba Fett, but I didn't want to be a total copy cat, so I made my own customizations and used Ubese armor instead of Mandalorian). My friend made a bounty hunter character too, and we played some small time bounty hunting adventures, making some money here and there, customizing our armor and eventually buying our own small starships and making custom modifications to those as well.

Eventually since getting his own ship, my friend started to get more into the idea of being a smuggler type than a bounty hunter, so as we accumulated more money we started building a hideout in an asteroid in the middle of an asteroid field. (We figured nobody would be able to find it). At some point I noticed that we didn't have Jedi or force users in the story at all so I introduced a new NPC. On a visit to the Hutt who had been giving my friend smuggling jobs, my friend noticed a friendly kid who was one of the hutt's slaves (the hutt nicknamed him "Grubworm"). The smuggler friend bought him from the hutt, and brought him back to the hideout, I guess as an adopted child or something, but since I didn't bring him up after that he forgot about the kid. The kid of course was the force sensitive, but he had no training so nobody had any idea that he was force sensitive. He'd just do interesting things every once in a while, and played a minor roll as an interesting but not very significant personality that came up every once in a while.

At some point, a really big bounty came up. A wealthy noble from an innocent world that had been basically irradiated by the Empire hired a team of 10 elite bounty hunters to find and kill the Imperial Admiral who destroyed his world. The reward was 1 million credits to be divided among the bounty hunters who lived through the mission, and the Admiral would soon be leaving for a long campaign at the edges of the outer rim, so there was little time to get the job done. My friend and I joined the team, and eventually we were able to kill the Admiral and escape, but 7 out of the 10 in the team had also been killed. So the reward was divided 3 ways between us.

After that, the Empire posted a large reward on us to take revenge on the assassins. There was another bounty hunter character known only as "X" who had been building up his skill at the same time, and he only took imperial bounties. Eventually this character's player was able to track us down to our hideout and my character was killed. My friend wasn't there at the time and so escaped. Eventually he met up with Jodo Kast, and when Jodo learned that his older brother was dead, and there was a huge bounty on the partner, he killed the partner and took his ship. That was pretty much the end of the bounty hunting stories.

After that my friend made a new character, this time a custom template wookiee warrior. He set his strength at 6D (the wookiee racial maximum), so he was so strong he could usually ko enemies in a single punch, and shrug off most attacks. Wookiee rage made him even more deadly if he ever happened to berserk on anyone.

The wookiee's adventures started when he was rescued from an Imperial prison and he happened to meet an unusual kid who was rescued at the same time. The kid of course was Grubworm who had been handed over to the imperials when the bouny hunter's hideout was attacked by X. The wookiee and grubworm became friends and had a lot of adventures which were more oriented toward aiding the rebellion and freeing other wookiee slaves.

At some point my friend wanted to try playing as a Jedi, since we hadn't had any Jedi yet, so he put the wookiee on hold for a while and made a new Jedi character (GB). GB was from alderaan (it still hadn't been destroyed yet) , and he had learned recently that his father had been a jedi, but had only learned the most elementry aspects of the force. We explained his starting lightsaber as being an item he found in a secret workshop of his father's house, and he was able to learn his starting 1D in control and sense from a few documents his father had in the workshop talking about force concepts.

GB spent his time looking for any signs of where his father might have gone to, but didn't have much luck in finding anyone who could teach him about the force. Eventually he was able to raise his skills a bit and found a few small time force users who could teach him a few things, but his force skills were still pretty low, 3-4D range. He gets involved in a few other adventures and eventually meets up with Grubworm at some point. After a few adventures with him, GB's player (who had never been told that Grubworm was force sensitive) suddenly had a hunch and decided to try to sense Grubworm for force sensitivity. After realizing the kid could learn the force, he took him as an apprentice and taught him what he could. It wasn't much since he was still pretty low in skill though. At about this point I decided that with 2 aspiring Jedi characters now in game, I would need to introduce a good arch-villain.

The arch-villain (AV) was from a race of long-lived natural force users (their control and sense difficulties were 1 level lower). His race was very rare though, and almost completely extinct. AV was basically one of the Emperor's inquisitors, and had a whole hidden sector under his authority with a high capacity shipyard, so he had a strong fleet helping him in addition to being a full fledged dark jedi knight, and having a several smaller time dark side apprentices.

Other players sometimes made Jedi characters to join the club, but somehow they didn't last long, either by acting too big too fast and getting killed or turning to the dark side and joining the AV. GB and Grubworm were occassionally able to find a jedi who had survived the purge to learn from and gradually improved their abilities, but there was a tendancy for the teacher to be discovered by the AV shortly after that and killed. My friend wanted to go back to his wookiee, so he put GB away and resumed play as the wookiee.

By this time we were in later junior high, and we had made a new friend that was kind of geeky like us and he joined the game. He wanted to make a character that was from yoda's race, and he could do the voice and yoda-speak pretty well, so I allowed it, we'll call him TO. I wanted to have some good lightsaber fights between the players and the dark jedi bad guys, but the few player jedi were all still at the very beginning level. So I gave TO a break and through some adventuring introduced him to another low level force apprentice who would lead him to an ancient stardragon that was a true jedi master. Now with an actual teacher, TO's skills steadily increased as he adventured and returned to the temple for more training. As a test of TO's devotion to the lightside, the master even taught him some dark side powers, to see if he could resist the temptation. TO was hard-core though, and stayed lightside. TO had reached the level where he could survive fights with the lower level dark side servants and beat some of them. He also introduced Grubworm to the ancient master and brought him into the adventures to increase his abilities as well.

Eventually as we got into highschool people's schedules changed, and the wookiee and TO weren't able to play as often as before, they still played sometimes, but the main gamers shifted to my little brother and another friend who had done an odd experimental university program instead of high school. My brother made a jedi who we'll call DI. Being my brother it was really easy to schedule time to game, so he was able to play frequently and get close to catching up to TO in skill. My other friend made a character who was from family that had a long line female force users, we'll call her EA. Since it was during the height of the Empire, EA hadn't learned anything about the force because her mother had been killed when she was still young. When she joined the game, DI took her as an apprentice. It was kind of funny because she was really enthusiastic about learning the force and would ask "what do I do now?" DI would usually answer, "Start today's lesson by sweeping out the temple... well? what are you waiting for? Hop to it stinky!"

Eventually DI found a sith artifact that taught him more about the force and allowed him to advance his power, but it eventually lured him into the dark side.

EA was left without a teacher and still very new at using the force. She was sturbborn and devoted to the lightside and learning the ways of the jedi however, and continued looking for ways to learn the force. EA was the kind of person who couldn't keep a low profile to save life however, and often attracted the attention of all sorts of bad guys from pirates to bounty hunters to the arch-villains dark side apprentices. She gradually improved her abilities learning from her defeats and she was basically always on the run from the dark jedi.

At some point I was starting to feel like there were too many jedi, both lightside and dark side in the game between all the players and NPCs, so I created an adventure to be a kind of jedi armageddon.

The players and the villains both learned of a planet that had an ancient "jedi prison" hidden on it. The story was that in ancient times, the Jedi had a period of time of being very soft-hearted, and couldn't bring themselves to actually kill dark jedi. Instead, they would capture the dark jedi and put them in suspended animation. This way the dark jedi wouldn't be able to do evil, but the jedi wouldn't have to kill them either. The dark jedi would just sit in suspended animation forever.

The arch-villain of course wanted to find the jedi prison so that he could release all the dark jedi and have an army of them helping him against the jedi players' characters. The jedi of course wanted to stop him from doing this, so there was a race to get to the planet first and then to get into the facility and find the chamber where the dark jedi were frozen.

It was tough to run this adventure though, because I had a lot of players I was trying to work with and we were geographically seperated by this time and playing over chat.

In the end the players were successful and with a lot of close calls, teamwork and long time allies dead, they managed to defeat all the dark jedi and prevent the ones in suspended animation from being woken up. (There was an orbital bombardment of the facility by another star destroyer trying to kill the players, so the whole place was destroyed, but the players managed to escape with the help of the arch-villain who they had managed to bring back to the light side.)

This was probably a lot more detail than you were looking for about campaigns, but let me know what you think. Did you find it interesting or helpful for designing your own adventures? If you have any questions about part of the campaign or want to know about how I ran certain parts of the game just ask.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have just started on working on the Concept and I haven't gotten it as far as I would like yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Star Wars d20 game

I don't know if this even qualifies as as 'campaign' or not. I have played RPGs since Gygax was king, but I haven't GM'd in a couple decades. So now I have a Star Wars d20 game that I am running on my own website (www.whidbeygamers.net) which came about because we just can't find enough people for face to face games here in my locale. I have another GM for two ongoing ADnD games, but I'm the GM for Star Wars. Even there though, we're having trouble finding enough players. I have about 5, of which one deployed to Iraq, one is semi-missing regularly because of military duties, and only three that are consistent. Anyway, the game has started on the backworld of Tatooine. It is set at soem point in time between Episode III and Episode IV. Vader is hunting Jedi, but hasn't found them all yet. There is no interaction (nor do I plan any) between the game characters and the movie characters. I don't have too much 'plan' for the future, but am currently nearing the end of their first Adventure. NPCs played a small roll (due to the missing players) but I'd like to minimize that in the future. A challenge for me, as GM, is to figure out how to get the party 'mobile' without just giving them a huge windfall (free ship). I suppose an NPC could 'hire them' and supply the ship, but isn't that really the same thing? Dunno if any of them are up to stealing a ship, even from a bad guy, but that remains to be seen if its a credible avenue or not. I seem to think there is a lack of good MID-level adventures out there in this selected time period. I see lots for levels 4-7 or 6-10 but very few in the levels 2-5 range. I accept any and all suggestions. Can't say I'll implement them but its sure nice to have options! With all the talk about Saga Edition, I'm kinda worried that SWd20 will fade before its time. MTFBW, or whatever!
    John
    aka Anodyzed
    also gaming at www.whidbeygamers.net

Downloads
    Uploads
    For player mobility I have a few options that you may find useful without just giving away free ships.

Part of the question is, why do they need to get off planet? It is important to continuing the campaign and moving on to the next adventure? Are they players or the GM tired of adventures on that planet? Is there a job they want to take that requires them to go to a particular world? Depending on the situation, you may be able to come up with a logical method of getting them to the destination without giving away something as valuable as a ship. Without knowing what exactly your campaign goals are, here's some generic ideas:

1. The players can find and hire someone to fly them to the destination. This may be costly for them, but if they spend some time scouting around the freelance freighter pilots, they may be able to find someone willing to reduce their price to just within the player's budget, or close enough that the players only need to do labor work for a few days to pay off the rest Another variant to this, maybe they found someone who was already intending to go where the players are trying to get to, so there's a discount rate... or you can combine the those ideas.

2. Perhaps they happen to make a friend who has a ship that can take them there. Maybe they start out with a situation described in number 1, and they befriend the pilot, which leads them to this option in the future. This NPC friend may be able to provide the players with a cheap rate flight on occasion in the future. (You may decide their friend hasn't yet paid off the ship yet, so the players may feel obligated to pay their due and help him out instead of asking for free rides all the time.)

3. They could find a ship going where they're trying to get to and "stow away"... this might not always be plausable, or the players might not be able to pull it off...

4. Maybe the players get captured by their enemies or bounty hunters (if the players have bounties on them), and coincidentally get taken to where you want them to end up.

5. The players might find a good deal on a ship, only 23k for a ship normally valued at 25k or something.... and happen to find a lone shark willing to give them a loan so they can get the ship. Interest on the loan and docking fees can keep the players from getting too rich from it.

6. Sort of a modified 5, maybe the players find a REALLY good deal on a ship, but the ship is either a totally unreliable peice of junk that ends up costing more to repair over and over than they would have spent on a brand new ship... or maybe the ship was stolen, or was previously owned by someone with a big bounty on them, which might add trouble for the players...

You said you want to cut back on NPCs, but remember, they don't have to always show up. I've found that players really love high quality NPCs, and they can be a great tool to help guide the players toward the right direction if they start getting off track or don't know how to proceed next... If it was me, I'd probably use the option 1 and transition it to 2. It gives you what you need, but you don't have to always have it available when you don't want it to be there for them.

Somehow I like to keep the players poor. If they're too rich then things start to feel too easy for them and there's less of a feeling of accomplishment when they're able to get ahead a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Don't have their next adventure selected yet, but as you describe in #1 or #2 will likely be their avenue offworld. I too want to keep them poor, and in relative anonymity. That part they agree with, or at least the Jedi does. Thanks for the suggestions.
    John
    aka Anodyzed
    also gaming at www.whidbeygamers.net

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome, glad it was helpful

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Holocron,

Your story was a nice read. Sounds like a really good game you've got going.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahh, glad you liked it Moritz. Its been pretty fun so far, but we haven't had any good chances to game for a long time. The only people who ever still play are my little brother, every once in a blue moon, and the friend who made the character EA, and he works basically non-stop now, so we can never game now. Its been like 3 months since the last time we played, and before that stretch of sessions it had been like 6-8 months...

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyzed View Post
    I don't know if this even qualifies as as 'campaign' or not. I have played RPGs since Gygax was king, but I haven't GM'd in a couple decades. So now I have a Star Wars d20 game that I am running on my own website (www.whidbeygamers.net) which came about because we just can't find enough people for face to face games here in my locale. I have another GM for two ongoing ADnD games, but I'm the GM for Star Wars. Even there though, we're having trouble finding enough players. I have about 5, of which one deployed to Iraq, one is semi-missing regularly because of military duties, and only three that are consistent. Anyway, the game has started on the backworld of Tatooine. It is set at soem point in time between Episode III and Episode IV. Vader is hunting Jedi, but hasn't found them all yet. There is no interaction (nor do I plan any) between the game characters and the movie characters. I don't have too much 'plan' for the future, but am currently nearing the end of their first Adventure. NPCs played a small roll (due to the missing players) but I'd like to minimize that in the future. A challenge for me, as GM, is to figure out how to get the party 'mobile' without just giving them a huge windfall (free ship). I suppose an NPC could 'hire them' and supply the ship, but isn't that really the same thing? Dunno if any of them are up to stealing a ship, even from a bad guy, but that remains to be seen if its a credible avenue or not. I seem to think there is a lack of good MID-level adventures out there in this selected time period. I see lots for levels 4-7 or 6-10 but very few in the levels 2-5 range. I accept any and all suggestions. Can't say I'll implement them but its sure nice to have options! With all the talk about Saga Edition, I'm kinda worried that SWd20 will fade before its time. MTFBW, or whatever!

I'm 2 missions into my first Saga Campaign (first time dming actually, haven't played much either). It's really fun, i like the new rules more that the old rules where jedi couldn't kill anything with the force. I love the jedi in Saga. My girlfriend plays one and she really knows how to clear a room; the 'epic hero' feel is much more in saga.

Anyhow, I had the same problem with trying to get my players a ship. I found a good mission on a sheme where some Hutts fix a card game the players are in to win some junk ship. When the players enter the ship, the doors shut and assasin driods attack in the darkness... So them getting the ship is actually a gift of death. The gambling was fun to run, as well as all the non combat stuff. Got a good 6 hour session just off filling in all the locations with checks and the uber assasin droid battle at the end.

They live naturally, and capture the contact that set this up and force him to help sneak them to the hutts ultra exclusive casino and the story goes on...

So I thought that was a good way to get the players a ship. They're lvl 3 now, so I made the ship start out with only a few Hit points left and down on the condition track so they'll have to spend time and money fixing it, not to mention they'll need to add weapons/armor/shields before it's combat worthy..

Which makes for more material for missions.

Writing ideas is fun. Thanks for people that post interesting snippets!
    Last edited by GBVenkman; 11-29-2007 at 01:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan to run Dawn of Defiance. It will help me to understand the rules better. After DoD, I plan on running things set either during clone wars/ buildup to clone wars or during the galactic civil war. Once the books for KOTOR games the ones allowing you to play during those time come out, I will add that time period in. I might run a few post ROTJ games, but they would stop after the New Republic-Imperial peace treaty. I won't ever run anything having to do with the Vong. I absolutely refuse!
    I think it would be real fun to run Saga, but I don't know where I could fit another game in; I am already running Heart of the Dragon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    I won't ever run anything having to do with the Vong. I absolutely refuse!

I totally agree. I think the Vong are the lamest of the lame when it comes to lame things. Who ever came up with them should be sent to a dark closet, never to be seen again.

Ohh, and they look lame too. And the ship ideas.. Lame. I hear they're immune to the force.. Lame.

I think the latest I'd run a SW campaign is before the battle of Yavin. If it were going to be any later, I'd make Luke and his crew less of a huge part of the story, since there's only room for so many heros in the universe

I don't know if people usually include characters from the movies in their campaigns. I might have side characters, and I'm thinking of using Obi-Wan as a mentor for my PC's during the rise of the empire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well while we are blasting the Vong, I will gladly join in.

The Vong are interesting and not very Star Wars-ish. That is what I like least about them. Their weapons can parry lightsabers, they are outside the Force, etc. Just dumb all around. And they kill/destroy so much of the star wars universe. Ithor, Chewie, etc. I have been reading some of the NJO books and I am interested how it ends but overall it all pretty much sucks.

The worst part is what I just read in Outbound flight.

Spoiler alert

Palpatine knew the Vong were coming and was trying to build up the Galaxies defense with the Empire. WTF!?! That means he did not take over just because he is evil and a Sith? An the Might Jedi never sensed something that Palpy could? Again WTF?!?

That ruined Outbound Flight (Which was a good book otherwise) for me.

Sigh,
    Duncan
    Proud to be a Gungan!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, interesting back story about outbound flight, that seems like something that would have made more sense for Thrawn to have discovered and been making preparations for independent of Palpatine.

I sort of agree too, the Vong are kind of lame and jacked up the whole genre. Like, how could they have taken over Coruscant? Weapons and armor being lightsaber resistant I can handle, because there's stuff like frik alloy that Greivous' guard droids' staffs are made of, and other similar things out there already. The fact that they exist outside the force is kind of lame too but I think they sort of explain it eventually...

I just think their bio technology is way too overwhelming. Their bio-scientists can basically conjure up a new organism to do whatever they want in a few weeks time of "research" and then mass produce it. They were able to build bio-fleets faster than an entire industrialized galaxy with millions of colonized worlds could keep up with...

I read "The Final Prophesy", which eventually turned out ok, and some of the explanations about how the vong work aren't too bad. But they're still the most un-starwars thing ever to be released in star wars, and pretty much ruin the galaxy as we knew it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast