Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Favorite Generic/Universal System

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • d20 Modern

16 11.11%
  • GURPS

40 27.78%
  • Basic Role Playing or Mongoose RQ

12 8.33%
  • Savage Worlds

17 11.81%
  • Fudge/FATE

10 6.94%
  • Omni System

0 0%
  • Unisystem

8 5.56%
  • Prose Descriptive Qualities

1 0.69%
  • HERO

18 12.50%
  • Something else (please explain)

22 15.28%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Generic/Universal Systems

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have to modify my results.

1) FATE 3.0
    2) PDQ/PDQ#
    3) GURPS 4e

In that order.
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
    I have to modify my results.

1) FATE 3.0
    2) PDQ/PDQ#
    3) GURPS 4e

In that order.
    Mine are in need of updating from my original post as well:

1) Savage Worlds
    2) Unisystem
    3) Wushu

...In that order.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So I just got done reading Cortex and at leased on paper I think it may be my favorite generic RPG. Not house rule free but closest thing I've seen to it since nWOD. For those who have not read it, its very similar to savage worlds only it changes the things I don't like about savage worlds.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MortonStromgal View Post
    So I just got done reading Cortex and at leased on paper I think it may be my favorite generic RPG. Not house rule free but closest thing I've seen to it since nWOD. For those who have not read it, its very similar to savage worlds only it changes the things I don't like about savage worlds.
    Yeah I'm definitely a fan of Cortex System. I want to get my hands on the Supernatural book, and I love the Serenity book for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, Cortex is pretty good. It's like Savage Worlds and Unisystem hooked up and had a baby. My only real gripe is the wonky and numerous probability curves which make it kind of hard to determine chance of your success before trying something. Some might consider that a plus, of course.

It doesn't have much of a magic system yet. I put together some quick and dirty rules for porting GURPS magic to it though, so it's all good. MWP put out a Free RPG Day "quick start" for the Castlemourn setting for Cortex, but it never got fleshed out. In my book a system it isn't truly generic until you at least have a decent magic system in place.

I'm not sure I like "complex actions". Seems a little slow and cumbersome and ultimately it's hard to tweak difficulty without dragging it out.

Cortex is nice, but overall I think I slightly prefer Unisystem. They're really close though.
    Last edited by Harwel; 07-01-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harwel View Post
    It doesn't have much of a magic system yet. I put together some quick and dirty rules for porting GURPS magic to it though, so it's all good. MWP put out a Free RPG Day "quick start" for the Castlemourn setting for Cortex, but it never got fleshed out. In my book a system it isn't truly generic until you at least have a decent magic system in place.
    Supernatural has some magic in it that would probably be easier to pull into the main game :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by korhal23 View Post
    Supernatural has some magic in it that would probably be easier to pull into the main game :P
    I've been holding off on Supernatural until I heard more about the magic in it. I don't really have any interest in it outside of the magic system, since I already own the generic rules. I don't want to spend money on it unless it really fleshes magic out. I'm unfamiliar with the show, so I don't know what kind of role magic has or how big that role is, so I have no idea what to expect from that game book. Reviews to date haven't helped the decision.

GURPS is actually not bad to convert to Cortex though. http://cortexsystemrpg.org/index.php?topic=3013

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, there isn't much in it. But that's because you're not supposed to be a true mage in that world, hunters are supposed to be normal people. Yeah, you're probably better off just making stuff up for Cortex, as none of their games have a magic emphasis.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by korhal23 View Post
    Well, there isn't much in it. But that's because you're not supposed to be a true mage in that world, hunters are supposed to be normal people. Yeah, you're probably better off just making stuff up for Cortex, as none of their games have a magic emphasis.
    Yeah, I got that impression from a thread on rpg.net. MWP's own Cam Banks said in that there wasn't much new in there rules-wise, it was mostly some new traits and stuff that were specific to the setting. Another poster said something like "there's some mysticism stuff in the appendix". I saw nothing in there compelling me to buy it.

I hold out hope that they'll actually do Castlemourn or another fantasy setting. After all, what kind of generic system doesn't handle fantasy, probably the single most popular genre for RPGs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    Following a trend in other sections, I'm going to ask: what's your favorite generic/universal game system? And why?
    My homebrew FASERIP system is my favourite generic system. I have been using it every week since 1984 involving 64 players and it works great. Perfect balance between ease of play and realism.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love Hero System so much that I can't seem to justify playing other systems. Hero System is a toolkit now and has been one since Champions 4E/Hero System 4E published in 1989. Under 5E and later, the superheroes aspect has been shunted to a genre book called Champions with the main rulebook not focused on a single genre.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have to second that last one, HERO system is the best (IMO) generic rule book.

So I would say my top 3 faves are:

1) HERO System 6th edition
    2) Hero system 5th Edition Revised
    3) Hero system...... 5th Edition
    Last edited by Elderbree TM; 07-09-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    If you Like (or wish to learn about) HERO system I created a group for us, so we can all know each other and help/teach one another
    http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?groupid=322

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to throw in my two cents worth. My favourite generic rpg is Canis Publishing's One Brain Cell. Very rules light, very flexible and quite a bit of fun....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by malchya View Post
    I have to throw in my two cents worth. My favourite generic rpg is Canis Publishing's One Brain Cell. Very rules light, very flexible and quite a bit of fun....
    The web site appears to be down. Can you give a brief summary? Is it anything like Risus?

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

BTW, I can't remember what I voted for originally (BRP?), but here are my current choices:

1) FATE 3.0
    2) PDQ/PDQ#
    3) Basic Roleplaying
    4) GURPS 4e

... more or less in that order, with honorable mentions for Mongoose's Traveller, Mongoose's RuneQuest II, Barbarians of Lemuria, and HeroQuest for specific genres and scales of play.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    None of the generics captured the kind of game I wanted all the way, so I have been refining my own for...years now.

Of the ones listed, though, I do LIKE Savage Worlds, but agree that its primarily a pulp-hero game. Can not to realistic/gritty very well. Cortex sounds very interesting! GURPS just never clicked with me mostly due to needing to roll low. Goes against my grain! That and the way negative traits are handled leads very easily to power gaming without a VERY aware GM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast