Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Favorite Generic/Universal Systems - Page 11
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Favorite Generic/Universal System

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • d20 Modern

16 10.19%
  • GURPS

45 28.66%
  • Basic Role Playing or Mongoose RQ

13 8.28%
  • Savage Worlds

20 12.74%
  • Fudge/FATE

10 6.37%
  • Omni System

0 0%
  • Unisystem

8 5.10%
  • Prose Descriptive Qualities

1 0.64%
  • HERO

21 13.38%
  • Something else (please explain)

23 14.65%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Generic/Universal Systems

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I've yet to find a generic system that works for me better than CORPS by BTRC. It's consistent, reality-checks well, and Greg Porter tells you how the provided tables are calculated so that you can easily extrapolate further results.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BRP is my favorite. The rules are simple and easy to learn (I seriously have everything memorized except for some optional rules) and it's really easy to implement new/homebrewed mechanics without breaking the game. I also like that size is an actual stat instead of some abstract size class (how much bigger than me is that Dragon?). If you want some semblance of realism, BRP is the system to use.

I also like how combat in the system has to be dealt with tactically: Player Hit points are low, big things have more hit points and do more melee damage. I know gritty, tactical combat isn't for everybody, but I personally love it.

BRPs biggest flaw is that it can be a bit math heavy. You have to calculate Hit Point, Derived Stats, Damage Bonuses, Stat Bonuses (if you're using that optional rule), and dynamic Critical/Special/Fumble ranges (if you're using that optional rule, but why wouldn't you?).

d20 Modern was really restrictive and, like most d20 based systems, really unstable.
    GURPS is WAY too complicated and counter intuitive. I've never seen a GURPS game that did not have every player constantly with their nose in the book trying to figure out how to do some mundane action. Plus the vehicle rules are wonky.
    Last edited by Ohtar; 10-10-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no d6 love =(
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohtar View Post
    GURPS is WAY too complicated and counter intuitive. I've never seen a GURPS game that did not have every player constantly with their nose in the book trying to figure out how to do some mundane action. Plus the vehicle rules are wonky.
    That is a fairly common reaction from anyone who hasn't played/witnessed GURPS lite. GURPS is ridiculously simple. it's all the options that make it potentially complex, if someone were to actually try to use them all (which you aren't actually supposed to do, if you read the rules).

GURPS lite is a free download, and is all you actually need to play GURPS. The books are only for those who want to measure in their preferred amount of crunch into their fluff.
    Last edited by nijineko; 10-18-2015 at 10:24 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohtar View Post
    BRP is my favorite. The rules are simple and easy to learn (I seriously have everything memorized except for some optional rules) and it's really easy to implement new/homebrewed mechanics without breaking the game. I also like that size is an actual stat instead of some abstract size class (how much bigger than me is that Dragon?). If you want some semblance of realism, BRP is the system to use.

I also like how combat in the system has to be dealt with tactically: Player Hit points are low, big things have more hit points and do more melee damage. I know gritty, tactical combat isn't for everybody, but I personally love it.

BRPs biggest flaw is that it can be a bit math heavy. You have to calculate Hit Point, Derived Stats, Damage Bonuses, Stat Bonuses (if you're using that optional rule), and dynamic Critical/Special/Fumble ranges (if you're using that optional rule, but why wouldn't you?).

d20 Modern was really restrictive and, like most d20 based systems, really unstable.
    I really like BRP and that's become my go to system for most of my games, but there are some things that BRP doesn't do to my liking. Not really happy with how it handles super powers and the magic spells aren't to my liking. I prefer a more high powered game for supers and magic, but I do like that BRP is a skill based game over a level based game!

As far as GURPS is concerned, I really liked how GURPS handled magic, but once again, I didn't care for how it handled super powers. I also didn't really have sessions with my players having their noses in their GURPS books. Maybe when we were making characters or advancing characters, but not usually when we were playing a session.

Course everyone has their own likes and dislikes for a particular game system.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    The thing about how BRP handles powers is that the way they are presented in the books are just examples of how they can theoretically be implemented. That's why I like that system; as a GM I can handle powers, feats, and advantages/disadvantages how I feel they work best for the setting. For magic you can go with automatic cast using magic points or spell slots. Or you can have a skill roll [either for a general Lore(Magic)/Knowlege (Magic)/Perform (Ritual) roll or a specific roll for each spell or spell type (wards/curses/enchantment)] and either spell slots or magic points. You can even use combinations for handling different magical traditions. I agree that "Super Hero" campaigns are wonky in BRP, but that has more to do with the low stats and hit points than the way powers are implemented, since there is no official way to handle powers.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    As far as GURPS is concerned, I really liked how GURPS handled magic, but once again, I didn't care for how it handled super powers.
    oh? i've always rather liked point buy systems like GURPS and Champions for Supers Campaigns. What did you not like about it?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    GURPS is a little more gritty than Champions. I prefer the 4 color level of game than what you generally get with GURPS. The power levels in GURPS tend to be lower. To me, GURPS is good for a Wild Cards level game, while Champions is good for an Avengers level game!
    Last edited by Skunkape; 10-26-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Changed and Champions to than Champions!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    oh? i've always rather liked point buy systems like GURPS and Champions for Supers Campaigns. What did you not like about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    GURPS is a little more gritty and Champions. I prefer the 4 color level of game than what you generally get with GURPS. The power levels in GURPS tend to be lower. To me, GURPS is good for a Wild Cards level game, while Champions is good for an Avengers level game!
    The point balance in Hero favors super heroic play, from it's start as Champions specifically a super hero game. And Yes GURPS is mainly intended for Heroic stuff, ergo a bit clunky for supers. However it build normal characters with greater ease.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    huh, i never had problems building 4color level supers in GURPS. i really sincerely don't get the perceived difference.

it's really easy to build characters that can take on the Avengers in GURPS Supers, or so my experience has been.

it's easier if you have some system mastery of GURPS, but still, Supers makes it pretty easy to replicate 4color - maybe i'm missing something?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Monte Cook's Cypher System

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011