Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Savage Worlds questions

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Savage Worlds questions

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I understand the purchasing of traits with the 5 points, the skills with 15 points, the limits of hindrances of 1 major and 2 minor (including what can be gotten with them) but what I'm struggling with is power points (super power companion).

How do you use them? Are they for purchasing powers like it was done with the traits and skills or do you just chose those powers and use the power points to activate the powers?

If it is clearly stated in the book, can someone point me to it. I looked at the arcane backgrounds in the deluxe book, looked through the super power companion book, and a few other books but I'm confused on this matter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depending on which version of Savage Worlds you have, the explanation of either starts on P.80 of Explorer's or P. 102 of Deluxe. The short answer is, when you choose the Arcane Background: Super Powers, you immediately gain one Power of your choice and you get 20 Power Points to use that skill. You can take the edge New Power to gain additional powers, which you can take with every advance and Power Points to gain 5 more power points, but you can only buy those once per Level (ie Novice, Seasoned, Veteran, Legendary, and every other advance after that).

Super Powers work differently than the other Arcane Backgrounds in that for each Power you take, it essentially becomes its own skill that you raise with XP just like any other skill. Fortunately, these Power skills are not linked to an Attribute like say Fighting is to Agility, so you can increase two powers per advance as if the skill were below the attribute. The upshot is, if the hero wants to use a Power, they attempt a Skill Roll with the typical Target Number of 4 (don't forget multi-action penalties) either the power works or it doesn't.

I hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Then how could a person build spiderman? Even at the beginning, he has mutliple powers so if you have to purchase his strength, agility, smarts, vigor at superhuman levels then buy his danger sense, webbing, leaping, wall crawling, you would not have enough points.

How could a person do that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Short answer is, with a Novice level PC and the standard rules, you can't. Even if you really loaded up on the Hinderances, you couldn't start with more than three Powers. I'm not a Supers guy, so I don't have any of the Supers settings books, I would imagine there are additional rules in those books to account for higher level type PCs.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, while there may be some entirely new frameworks or additions in some of the Supers supplements available, if you're more or less running modified vanilla core Savage Worlds Deluxe rules for supers, you'd have to create experienced characters, probably beyond Seasoned and maybe even Veteran, probably Heroic or Legendary, for some of the power potent real comic characters like Spider-Man.
    Abstruse Decapod

"It's apparently a lesbian romance about the world ending due to bears. I've been meaning to run it by Utgardloki." -Anon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah if you want to run a true "Supers" setting, it would be highly beneficial to grab the Super Powers Companion 2e. It really is a game changer and more adaptive to those settings than the AB in SWD. Magic isn't even the same and is covered under the power "Super Sorcery".

If you need help in understanding how AB: Super Powers works in the companion, let me know, I can help.
    Last edited by Dao; 08-26-2014 at 02:12 AM. Reason: additional info