Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Horror RPG?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Call of Cthulhu

33 34.38%
  • Beyond the Supernatural

2 2.08%
  • Buffy/Angel

1 1.04%
  • WitchCraft/Armageddon or All Flesh Must Be Eaten

12 12.50%
  • Kult

2 2.08%
  • Chill

4 4.17%
  • World of Darkness

33 34.38%
  • Nightspawn

2 2.08%
  • Unknown Armies

3 3.13%
  • Don't Rest Your Head

4 4.17%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What's your favorite horror RPG?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    If I remember correctly, Nightspawn was connected to Rifts. Or am I thinking of something else? I tried to get my friends Scott and Bill to play it in the late 90's, but it never got past the planning stages. I would still like to try it.
    Nightbane (or Nightspawn) is only tangentially connected to Rifts. Most of the crossover is one way (Nightbane to Rifts). I tend to ignore the Rifts: Dark Conversions book. The Nightbane conversions there tend to be rather silly.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay I'm probably going to get some boos for this because it is just a setting, but shouldn't Ravenloft be on that list?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hamblet View Post
    shouldn't Ravenloft be on that list?
    I would say no because then you would would have to included things like GURPS horror and the list would just get huge.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say no because then you would would have to included things like GURPS horror and the list would just get huge.[/quote]

Ah...good point. Okay I'll just shut up for now.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I play horror RPG's more for fun, but leave horror in plot to other systems.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to say Call of Cthulhu because it was my first, but I have to say Unknown Armies because the system is absolutely fantastic, and the type of horror I can create is way more visceral to a wider variety of player types.

A blend of the two is perfect IMO.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Downloads
    Uploads
    All Flesh Must Be Eaten.
    Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
    Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
    Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
    Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AFMBE very fun game.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AFMBE & WoD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't Rest Your Head is pretty amazing, so I voted for that. And I have to admit to a fondness for CoC and WoD (Wraith, especially). But you don't have my actual favorite Horror/Dark Future RPG listed - Unhallowed Metropolis by Hallow's Eve Designs.

I was privileged to participate in the premiere of their "Up the River" module at TempleCon 2009 and have been running some introductory modules since, as well as a play-test session for a new convention module coming out, and I have to say that this is the most excited I've been about an RPG in a while. Its Neo-Victorian post-apocalyptic zombie-battling goodness with a touch of Tesla-punk, and lends itself well to both hack-and-slash and pure role-playing styles, and everything in between. (Insert shameless plug here I'm hoping to start up a regular UnMet campaign in the fall of this year, so if anyone in the Rhode Island/Southern Massachusetts/Eastern Connecticut area is interested, please let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MortonStromgal View Post
    I would say no because then you would would have to included things like GURPS horror and the list would just get huge.

Hmm..I dunno. I think Ravenloft had enough of its own core mechanics to stand on its own. Games like Gurps Horror and Horror Hero just painted their exsisting core system and setting another color-with Gurps doing a much better job than Hero. But Ravenloft offered not only a different style and mood for you campaign, but an entire new world to play in.
    The whole plane of Dread setting, and Dreadlord mechanics basically made it it's own game.

OK..rambling done....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotta go with All Flesh, even though I'm not generally big on horror gaming - or horror movies, or horror literature, or horror in general really. I just can't seem to take it seriously. So my votes are basically for the systems. Unisystem is pretty nice I think, and All Flesh could more or less qualify as "generic Unisystem" with all the setting books it has. Also, I don't think All Flesh is meant to be serious.

Call of Cthulhu probably a close second, because I'm an old RuneQuest fan and they're both BRP-based. Plus CoC is just old school cool.

Never got into WoD at all. Picked up a V:tM book in a store once, years ago, and put it back down pretty quickly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All Flesh is meant to be whatever type of zombie story you want to tell and at that it excells magnificently. I like how the books manage to clearly give nods to all sorts of zombie stories and still remain neutral. It shows clearly that the writers like zombies in any format and don't have any desire to push you in any one direction.

Some games give you variety but you can tell from the writing that the creators are biased to one particular gameplay style, and they often take too heavy a hand implying why their way is best.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten avoids that presumption and in doing so is a perfect catch all zombie RPG.
    Last edited by CEBedford; 07-21-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I'm sure when I say that "it's not meant to be serious", I'm viewing it through my own lens of "I can't take horror seriously". I'm sure it can handle a serious zombie game just fine, since classic Unisystem is pretty gritty.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harwel View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure when I say that "it's not meant to be serious", I'm viewing it through my own lens of "I can't take horror seriously". I'm sure it can handle a serious zombie game just fine, since classic Unisystem is pretty gritty.
    I never took zombies at all seriously and originally loved them for how absurd they were. Then I started getting into parallels drawn between the walking dead and people who live a dead existence, and parallels to consumerism. Zombies have the power to be a pretty strong commentary if used right.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast