Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Horror RPG?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Call of Cthulhu

33 34.74%
  • Beyond the Supernatural

2 2.11%
  • Buffy/Angel

1 1.05%
  • WitchCraft/Armageddon or All Flesh Must Be Eaten

12 12.63%
  • Kult

2 2.11%
  • Chill

4 4.21%
  • World of Darkness

32 33.68%
  • Nightspawn

2 2.11%
  • Unknown Armies

3 3.16%
  • Don't Rest Your Head

4 4.21%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What's your favorite horror RPG?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    All Flesh is a fantastic game for all the reasons CEBedford described and more. I'm crossing my fingers that I may get a chance to play in an AFMBE game run by my brother this year for Halloween. He's already admitted that he likes the idea of running another game.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fellowship of the white star, investigative horror set in 1905-1914, has at least three different types of zombies: slow walking undead whose power is determined by how powerful they were in life, electrical zombies summoned using the power of electricity and used by Rasputin initially, and infectious zombies with a rabies like method of transmission.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SasseyFrass View Post
    Fellowship of the white star, investigative horror set in 1905-1914, has at least three different types of zombies: slow walking undead whose power is determined by how powerful they were in life, electrical zombies summoned using the power of electricity and used by Rasputin initially, and infectious zombies with a rabies like method of transmission.
    That sounds pretty cool. I have flirted with the idea of a zombie campaign that took place in historical times, but have yet to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Somehow I missed this poll. Well, I voted. Witchcraft, by far. Easily the best all-around horror/conspiracy system evar.

That's it. I'm surprised there were other game systems in the poll. Doesn't make any sense...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Changeling The Lost is my current favorite in the horror genre. Of any game setting I've ever played, it provides the perfect story elements with which to explore the nature of psychosis. Frankly, as a system, I find nWoD to be mostly mediocre, and this discourages me from exploring other WW supplements. I hear similarly good things about the setting for nWOD's Mage, and I'm willing to give it a shot as a player. But as a GM, the horror setting of Changeling is so compelling to me that I find it more than compensates for any lukewarm feelings I may have about the system as a whole. Too bad I can't find many willing to play it.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    That kind of shocks me, Tam. Changeling was the most popular nWoD game at the time I was really into it (though that may be different now, I don't know)
    Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
    Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
    Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
    Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by korhal23 View Post
    That kind of shocks me, Tam. Changeling was the most popular nWoD game at the time I was really into it (though that may be different now, I don't know)
    Yup, I dunno. It's funny what people are and aren't willing to play and when they're willing to play it. I know that it was, and still is, a popular game; for almost a year I had a great Changeling group going strong. But just after we finished our last CtL campaign, 4e came out, and that's all I've run for this particular group since. (Well, that's not true entirely, as they will play Spirit of the Century or home-brew SW or other weird indie one-offs when we are in-between sessions of "the real game", as they call it.) No complaints on that score. Really, it just means that I'm going to have to try harder to start a completely different group to get my non-D&D GM fix, especially if I want to initiate any long-term interesting horror-based campaigns. Which is exactly what I want to do.

Off the subject of horror, as a player I've recently had a chance to give the venerable WEG's d6 Star Wars a try for the first time. Extremely fun game! Korhal, as you are a person who seems to play quite a bit of sci-fi, I'm sure you've an opinion on the various Star Wars rpgs that have come down the pike. Do you still play the d6 version?

Back to the subject of this post, one of the reasons I am intrigued by the Alpha Omega sci-fi rpg is that it seems to incorporate a substantial element of futuristic horror. And does so in a way that breaks away from the influence of some of the Cthulhu-based or CoC-inspired sci-fi games.
    Last edited by Tamburlain; 07-30-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do I still play d6 Star Wars? No. Did I used to? Yeah, for a bit. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. For one, classes seem to make sense to me in Star Wars, but levels DON'T, per se... If you want the true feel of Star Wars, you NEED to start saga at at least 8th level, minimum, but in D6 it feels acceptable right off the bat. That said, I personally prefer single die rolls to multi-die systems like d6 or Shadowrun or WoD (though I used to prefer multi-die... Spycraft is to blame for my conversion).

I feel that D6 is too harsh about the nature of the Dark Side compared to how we see it portrayed in the newer material especially.

D6 lacks the real crunch that I like. I give the nod to Saga Edition over D6... but I don't like low level play of Saga. Neither one is bad though, just different.
    Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
    Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
    Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
    Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite horror RPG is still Call of Cthulhu, but we probably play nWoD far more frequently (for a variety of reasons).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea I play with a group that loves WoD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to agree with MortonStromgal. It's a really tough choice between Call of Cthulu and Vampire: Dark Ages. I think Cthulu was a little scarier but I also had more fun in Dark Ages...

great discussion, though..

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have (perhaps unreasonably) high hopes for the soon-to-be-unveiled Realms of Cthulhu. Two of my very favorite games... united as ONE.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the Savage Worlds system a lot. It is a far, far more robust of a system than Call of Cthulhu (BRP). But there is something kinda nostaligic about rolling those percentile dice so when we Cthulhu, we'll probably keep using the classic system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted WoD (I prefer new) because of the sheer volume and breadth of the material. You can pretty much do any horror genre style with it. I don't own any of the books anymore, and I could probably use GURPS for the same deal, but still it packs a punch.

I LOVE the Kult setting. The system is horrible. I would have voted it my fav if it wasn't for the system being craptastic.
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone tried "Twilight"?

I just watched the Vampire Hunter D movies again and was really impressed with the richness and potential as a setting - horror, steam punk, sci-fi, fantasy, modern - a few more are in there too... Never played the Twilight game based on it. Anyone willing to share some thoughts on it?

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast