Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Pen & Paper Project

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Pen & Paper Project

ok, so this is something I started talking about in the wish list thread.

I'm sure we all have ideas that we either never got a chance to flesh out, never even tried to get down on paper, or just plain put to the side for whatever reason...

With that in mind, let me show you something I have here...

Lifedrain (Epic)
    Abjuration, Necromancy (death)
    Spellcraft DC: 250
    Components: V, S, Ritual
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: 3,000 ft.
    Area: Four 2,000ft. Cubes (see text)
    Duration: 1 week (see text)
    Save: Fortitude
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    To Develop: 2,250,000gp, 45 days, 90,000xpSeeds: Slay (DC 25), Dispel (DC 19); Factors: change to area (+10 DC), change area to four 10ft cubes (+2 DC), increase area 2,000% (+80 DC), increase range 1,000% (+20 DC), change duration to 1 week (+40 DC), increase saving throw by DC +1 (+2 DC), increase caster level to overcome spell resistance +1 (+2 DC), empowered dispel check +30 (+30 DC)

The Lifedrain spell employed by the Phaerimm to bring down the ancient Netherese was widely used in the area now known as Anauroch. Cast many times over by the war gathers of Phaerimm elders, the frequency of the castings is what made this spell particularly deadly. In uncharacteristic unison, several Phaerimm elders would cast the ritual Lifedrain spell. Their cumulative power would allow for relatively easy casting of this spell. (Usually an epic spell slot was contributed by each Phaerimm elder granting a –19 DC for each participant beyond the initial caster)
    The area of the spell was highly shapeable (four 2,000ft cubes), but the most common area was a 2,000ft wide and 8,000ft high rectangular column. The Lifedrain spells often reached passing Netherese Enclaves, striking at the very heart of the empire- the mythallars.
    The Lifedrain spell was of a truly insidious design. The spell itself would fade in time after draining the life force of all living things within its area, animal and plant life alike. Unfortunately for the Netherese, the Phaerimm were fully aware of the existence and powers of the mythallars. The Lifedrain spell fed off the latent magical energies provided by the mythallar, causing the spell to persist as long as it was withing the range of the mythallar’s power. If after 7 days of the continuous leeching of a Lifedrain spell, a mythallar would fail. (Without the power of a mythallar to feed on, a lifedrain spell faded away after dealing its initial dispelling and energy draining effects.)
    The Lifedrain would drain away the life force of living things as well as magical energies. All living things within the area of effect were subjected to an energy draining effect, which dealt 2d4 negative levels (Fort save for ), and dispelled all magical energies (d20+ 40 dispel check) including personal enchantments (including life extending magic which was wide spread in ancient Netheril), permanent magic items, area spells, and most dreadful of all it severed the connection of the mythallar. Without the power of the mythallar, all quasi-magic items were useless, and the enclave itself would fall if the draining persisted. The Lifedrain would be felt each day within the area, requiring a new saving throw with cumulative effects.
    *Note: If the Lifedrain was within the reach of a mythallar’s energies, the spell persisted for up to 1 week, at which time the Mythallar would fail, shattered and forever destroyed. If more than 1 mythallar was within the spells area, the Lifedrain consumed energy from both, taking longer to siphon the power. (14 days, rather than 7 to negate the mythallar) If the initial mythallar affected left the area of effect of the Lifedrain, but another entered the area within 1 turn, the spell would persist. (perhaps indefinitely given the number of enclaves which roamed the skies of ancient Netheril)
    Any thoughts on this? This is a Epic spell I drafted for my high level Forgotten Realms campagin. Its my own take on the Lifedraining magic used by the Phaerimm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is just a start... any ideas for an edit of this spell? Spot something wrong? I can take the critics, so feel free!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My only question for this is the same question I have for many epic spells introduced in the FR books: How did anyone ever cast this with the DC so high?

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    I would ban epic spells from my game. They serve no purpose but to destroy the balance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my game, Epic Spellcasting is one of the only feats you must have someone teach you. This way I can control it's uses. Few PCs ever want to take it anyway because of the ridiculous amounts of time and money involved in epic spell research. If you use it, the trick is to keep on top of it. If some PC starts researching a tremendous epic spell that could mess up your game have someone interrupt him. Keeping research of that magnitude quiet is never easy. After the second or third powerful wizard tries to kill him and steal his research he should get the hint. And if you play in FR having Mystra, Azuth, or one of their representatives (like the Magister) step in and have a word with the PC could also be helpful, especially when they come bearing bribes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't mind epic spells, if the user and DM both understand how the system works.

That said, this DC is *way* too high. Even with a level 30 wizard with 35 Intelligence (reasonable with magic items, tomes, and such), full ranks (33), synergies (let's say 4), skill focus (3), the + would be 12+33+4+3=52. This character could do DCs of 52-62 with no problem, and have a chance at DCs up to 72.

250? No way. Find ways to lower it. Backlash, multiple casters required, etc. I wouldn't try making any epic spell over DC 80 if I can help it. It's just too ridiculous then. :P

Unless you're playing games that go up to level 99 or some junk. By level 40, I expect the character to be entering deity-hood, so those games aren't really my style. Heck, I don't even usually play epic, my favorite campaigns are 1-20.

Edit: Looking at the spell more, if it was something used by a group, you should *definitely* add in the stipulation that it requires multiple casters, each contributing a 9th (or epic) spell level slot. That should reduce the DC drastically, and ensure that something of this power is only used if enough 17th+ level wizards can get together, something that may be rare or not depending on your setting.
    Last edited by Karui_Kage; 07-25-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me explain this spell a bit... I just drafted this spell up as a sort of "historical reference" to the ancient magic used by the Phaerimm "war gathers" to help bring down the empire of Netheril.
    Having a group of elder Phaerimm each contributing a high or epic spell slot to the ritual will bring this DC down to a playable level- not that I ever had any intention of using this spell

Remember folks, I listed it as a RITUAL spell.... anyone else have something?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My point wasn't to make it playable, but to make it believable. If this was something that happened in history, then it would have had to have been conceived by a crazy level of spellcaster to meet that 250 DC.

If it's ritual, then it should have multiple casters as a requirement in the spell, which would bring the DC down. Right now, you need to be a veritable OverGod to cast it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you're missing what I'm saying. Naturally there would be numerous casters... didn't I say that already?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RealmsDM View Post
    I think you're missing what I'm saying. Naturally there would be numerous casters... didn't I say that already?
    You did, and it is implied in the spell description as well. Also, as I understand it, this is one of those spells that characters might find and go, "Oh. Oh my. Spellcasters certainly were powerful lo those many years ago, weren't they?" But they would never think about trying to cast that spell themselves. Of course, that doesn't stop an evil/insane cabal of current spellcasters from trying to lay their hands on the spell, and finding the group of adventurers in their way.

Hilarity ensues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RealmsDM View Post
    You did...but you're missing what I'm saying. If there are indeed numerous casters as you said their are, then it would effect the Spellcraft DC of the spell. In the guide for creating Epic spells in the book, there's a spot where you can lower the DC by so much for each caster contributing a certain spell level. My point was just, if you're already saying there needs to be multiple spell casters, then you should reflect it appropriately by modifying (and thus lowering) the DC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Karui_Kage View Post
    You did...but you're missing what I'm saying. If there are indeed numerous casters as you said their are, then it would effect the Spellcraft DC of the spell. In the guide for creating Epic spells in the book, there's a spot where you can lower the DC by so much for each caster contributing a certain spell level. My point was just, if you're already saying there needs to be multiple spell casters, then you should reflect it appropriately by modifying (and thus lowering) the DC.
    I didn't tally that into the DC of the spell because it should vary. IMO by writing it in, its set in stone that there must be say 50 casters throwing in 9th level slots... it should be assumed it is a case by case basis

ANYWAY.... other than that dead issue.... any thoughts (so help me if anyone mentions anything related to DC!) or does anyone have something of their own

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just as a last thought on using the spell in your game...what if we take an idea from Eberron, and make the spell semi-sentient? Maybe the spell wants to be cast, I mean, deep down that would be the desire of every spell, right? So maybe the spell is manipulating events and arranging things so that it can fulfill its purpose.

Just a thought. Mostly motivated by the look on the party's collective face when they realize that their arch-nemesis has been...an ancient piece of magical parchment.