Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 220

Thread: Noblesse Oblige [REIGN/FREEFORM]

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Flabbergasted by the unwillingness of the kingdom to set up a grand army, but understanding of the needs of a fellow border lord, Melkor son of Manwe drafts a bill to bolster the armed forces of the kingdoms protectors with volunteers from the heartland.
    Tired of the tedium of writing and lists he then dons his armour and spars for the rest of the evening content that he has done his part to improve the kingdom on this day.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Graf na'Gaoithe looks at the influx of ledgers and assets with a sense of satisfaction. His kingdom is growing, and the relationships between grafs are gaining strength. Surely there will be enough time to shore up our borders before Pictia returns to reclaim their kingdom, he whispers out loud. The memories of tax collectors and quotas draining Airgead of everything except what was needed to subsist; a memory of scraping resources and pushing his people to their limits lingered behind his eyes. "Never again... if it is my body blocking the gates alone, they will never return to these walls while I draw breath."
    With a sigh, he taps his ornate quill and signs off the transfer of moneys to the standing army.

    *Airgead contributes 1 wealth to the standing army*

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    22
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    "-once the procession is finished, we shall move to the inner yard for the demonstration of martial prowess," continued Cynric Beorhtricsson, Graf und Hochmeister of the Knights-Vigilant, as he outlined the itinerary for the king's visit.

    The three other figures sitting in the inner council chamber glanced at each other uncomfortably. Bureaucracy had always been Cynric's forte, that's why he had won the last election. But his term was almost up, and once new elections were called in three months, all three of them would once again run for office. There could not help but be at least an undercurrent of tension.

    "Adelaide, Lainn, review your Banners, send two of your best fighters," the Hochmeister said to two of the three, before turning to the third and by-far largest figure. "Four against one," Cynric smirked. "That might even be enough to give you trouble, Magnar."

    The two other men in the room chuckled, but Adelaide of Lauenburg did not. "I'll send two if I must, but I won't send my best."

    "YOU INSULT MAGNAR, SON OF RAGNAR!" thundered the largest of the Knight-Captains, his normally-jovial voice spoilt by a hint of creeping menace. "MAGNAR SON OF RAGNAR IS STRONG ENOUGH FOR ANY FIGHT, ADELAIDE, DAUGHTER OF HEINRICH! WHY YOU NOT SEND YOUR BEST?"

    "Because you have a habit of maiming them," Adelaide replied acidly, "and we have few enough trained sword brethren as it is. I will not lose two of my most skilled sword sisters to impress some crowned Szatkowski brat."

    Lainn of Airgead had sat quiet for most of the meeting, but now he leaned forward, brow furrowed. "He's also our overlord. Impressing him means more influence at court, and more of a chance that when the Tyrant-Dragons come charging over the border, he and his fancy new levy will march down here to help us."

    "MAGNAR, SON OF RAGNAR WILL IMPRESS VALTIN-KING! BRING HIM ON GREAT HUNT, SLAY TYRANT-DRAGONS AND SHARKS-OF-THE-LAND! VALTIN-KING WILL KNOW THE MIGHT OF THE ORDER WHEN HE STANDS WITH MAGNAR, SON OF RAGNAR ATOP MOUNTAIN OF FRESH-SLAIN BEAST-CARCASSES!"

    "Magnar, we've been over this," Lainn replied exasperatedly. "If you take the King on a hunt and he ends up getting eaten by a Landshark, then we've just become regicides-by-proxy. Besides, it won't just be the King. We're inviting the heads of the Order Colonies too. Putting on a good show is a great way to build confidence in our abilities." He turned to the Hochmeister. "I'll send Witold of Czezym and Hildegarde von Caralia. Try to keep them in one piece, Magnar. They both owe me money."

    "Fine," spat Adelaide of Lauenburg. "Two of my best, but if they come back with broken limbs, I'll make sure they stay on duty long enough to vote against you next election."

    The Hochmeister sat back, trying to look more at ease than he actually was, If-

    A light draft blew through the council chamber as the door creaked open.

    "Brethren," a sword brother began as he poked his head through the doorway. "Message from the north: the King has left his seat."

    Cynric's expression hardened as the messenger withdrew. "Very well then, no more squabbling, we are on a fixed timetable now. After the display..."

    [Rolling to impress both the King and the assembled visitors (the King's entourage and invited guests from the Order's Colonies) with a great military review and display of martial prowess (might + territory + extra die)]
    * Cataphrak rolls some dice *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    12-10-2017 08:37 AM
    Cataphrak rolls some dice: 8d10 (10,1,8,7,7,5,4,2 = 44)

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    22
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    [I would like to use my fixed die as well. If I can determine it's value, make it a 7.]

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    93
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    ((sorry, that's what master dice are for. you must declare before you make the roll you are going to use a fixed die. I'll let you do that, to get 2x10, but that's it.))

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    The council chamber always carried the faint smell of smoke. Whether it was from the small pine logs crackling in the hearth or the stones mined from Black Peak for the hearth itself, Ethos could not be sure. Dust of days gone by. Rich soil and farming mingled with the soot along with the new budding flowers of spring that followed the heavy rains. A grand cherry tree bloomed in the square. Together it was a wholesome smell, and a storied one.

    Ethos had arrived early that morning to think about the new troubles that were trickling in. Discontented nobles.... Pah. The impertinance of it was laughable, but deep down, Ethos knew it was a festering kind of problem. Powerful people tended to turn to alternative routes for power when they felt deprived. The drug smugglers had enough recruits to begin adding intelligence to their ranks.... He unconsciously scratched at the grain of the table where the others would soon arrive. Would the others be willing to tackle these upstarts as aggressively as him? It was unlikely that any but Valdin would be open to accomodating them, and even he.... Well, his generosity had surprised Ethos in the past.... Was there a way to avoid arrests and violence? Ethos did not need to turn around to recognize the approaching graf. The rustling of papers and old dust preceded him.
    "Hello, old friend. I have need of your council and your meticulous records. What do you know about these refugees' religion?"

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Building the Army

    The Graf von Uriz arrives at the capital at the head of a large contingent of troops, his contribution to the new national army. Throughout the morning he reviews the arrangements with his captains and colonels, finally arriving at the council chambers sometime after lunch. His head is bent down as he puzzles over several sheaves of paper in his hand, mouthing words and calculations as he reads.

    *Aurinsberg contributes 1 Might to the standing army*

    There is not enough; the levy has depleted his realm's standing forces. Thankfully, he already has a plan, and within an hour he writes the first of this month's notes: an order for recruitment.

    *Aurinsberg raises levies by rolling Territory and Sovereignty, raising 1 Might. Roll in next post*
    Last edited by NavyMongoose; 12-10-2017 at 04:36 PM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    The King's Road

    As the levy settles into its quarters, Graf von Uriz peers at the map of the King's Road. "A fine work, but certainly wanting in utility. That can be fixed, of course..." He produces an expense form (which he designed himself) and begins devising a contribution...

    *Aurinsberg contributes 1 Wealth to the construction of the King's Road*
    Last edited by NavyMongoose; 12-10-2017 at 05:05 PM.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    12-10-2017 04:33 PM
    5d10: raise levies (territory (0)/ sovereignty, raises might) (0) = 0

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    (( Try again ))

    * Raise levies *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    12-10-2017 04:39 PM
    Raise levies: 5d10 (7,2,1,4,9 = 23)

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    (( Re-rolling because of stat increases that had not been accounted for the previous time ))

    * Raise levies *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    12-10-2017 05:00 PM
    Raise levies: 6d10 (1,9,3,6,2,8 = 29)

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    22
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    [Alright. 2x10, if height makes any difference to the result]

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    93
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    [[for all state visits, the king has jurisdiction over interpreting dice, I'll say.]]

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    The king is coming for a visit. Airgead is ill equipped for entertaining royalty. The contant ring of hammers carry on until nightfall and start up again at dawn. Perhaps a beloved local spetacle. 'The Fall of Lord Balid' tells the tale of our mythic hero and founder of Cridhe, our people's first home. The ruins of the prosperous grafdom can still be seen on the Kal'don. 'The wedding of Aura' would help wash down the bitter tragedy with lighthearted humour.
    Wealth and Territory

    * Ethos na'Gaoithe rolls some dice *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    12-10-2017 10:48 PM
    Ethos na'Gaoithe rolls some dice: 6d10 (6,4,2,1,9,7 = 29)

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Graf na'Gaoithe looks for ways to stop mulling and worrying over the coming show....
    Last edited by Ethos na'Gaoithe; 12-11-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Double Post

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    12-10-2017 10:50 PM
    Wealth+territory: 6d10 (6,1,9,3,2,8 = 29)

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Airgead sends out invitations to the known members of the refugee clergy for a formal dinner and discussion about the settlement process. As the feast commences, Ethos openly invites the clergy to share their feedback and guidance is requested on improving the transition to their new homes as well as to gain an understanding of the nature of their religion. As the meal wanes on, internal intelligence agents gently probe the guests for their attitudes towards charity, hard work and ownership of property - specifically whether these are moral issues in their faith.
    Last edited by Ethos na'Gaoithe; 12-12-2017 at 01:04 AM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •