Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Which oWoD Vampire the Masquerade Clan is your Favorite? - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Which oWoD Vampire the Masquerade Clan is your Favorite?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Lasombra

Downloads
    Uploads
    Malkavian.. each and every time. I like a little fruit with my loops see.......
    ThE R3v0LutioN Wi1L NoT bE T3leViSed..............

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gangrel
    Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's tough to pick a favorite clan, because it comes down more to the character concept for me than favoring one clan over another. But if I had to choose, I'd probably say Malkavian for a very "non-standard" reason.

There was a Malkavian character concept that I've always wanted to play (admittedly it would be much funnier in a LARP, if I still played them, than table top, but either way). In this case, the Malkavian's derrangement is that he believes himself to be the main character in a Noir film and "self-narrates" his actions aloud and doesn't realize that everyone else can hear him (yes, this idea was conceived years before the episode of Family Guy that did this).

HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah Malkavian all the way, both because I liked their clan disciplines, and because we had a comedy tone in our vision of WoD. Once we didn't dig the "creature of the night angst" theme anymore and our group turned to sth that felt like Dance of the Vampires, obviously playing with the stereotypes was the name of the game... I was inspired by One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too...
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say Ventrue for Masquerade and then Salubri warrior for DA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Giovanni, ventrue and assimite but ventrue are the best (power and all).
    Luke: I don't... I don't believe it.
    Yoda: And that is why you fail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved playing Toreador. Seconded by Ventrue.

For Villains I loved the Tzimisce and Lasombra.
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1. Malkavian
    2. Brujah
    3. Ventrue

I played a campaign with two other friends as a Brujah. Mitch Baker (I know, plain jane name...but he was AWESOME) wasn't your typical Brujah hothead, but once he got riled up he was literally a FORCE to be reckoned with.

Unfortunately he met his end in a mine under a Ventrue compound. He had temporarily allied with a Ventrue neonate and attempted to betray him and his matron by way of M4 carbine with attached grenade launcher.

It was a shame that the mine collapsed before he made it out...but man did we have fun with that.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is assured." -Mark Twain

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain_Spider_08 View Post
    I know there are at least a few here on pen and paper that are familiar with the older WoD (but still great) game Vampire the Masquerade, and I can't help but be curious as to who prefers which clan...

Personally I'm a Nosferatu, Malkavian and Gangrel fan
    I am aware that there are different editions to WOD. This is something, from everything i've heard, that i would love to play. This being said, which edition, through your (all of you on this thread) experience, would you recommended, and why?

My intention is not to thread-jack, but to gain some insight from WOD's fanbase.

Thanks for sharing your opinions in advance,

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    To the edition question, there were 4 versions of vampire. Never played 1st, but I believe 1-3 were very similar, just tweaks along the way. 4th is a dramatic change to things that I also haven't played yet. Looks neat, but still love the first setting (1-3). As to why I pick that setting, simply it's what I'm used to. It's a great setting that's wonderfly setup to play a huge variety of character types in a wide variety of game styles. I think 4th would be similar, just haven't had the chance to see it in action yet.

Favorite clan depends on the character concept. Easier to say which I like less: Tzimisce - Viscisitude = real evil in the games I played, never liked that one much (old clan is a different story though, much fun)
    Brujah - Rebel bruisers never apealed to me, though a philospher version would be fun
    Malkavian - I suck at playing derangements, but they can be great characters in the right hands.
    So yeah, even the ones I don't like come with qualifiers.

Some I've liked more recently:
    Setite - Corrupting, conniving, manipulating everyone to do what you want while convincing them you're doing them a favor. What's not to love
    Caitiff (15th gen) - When simply surviving learning what the hecks going on is an accomplishment, doing something about it becomes a huge amount of fun.
    Old Clan Tzimisce - Even elders have problems when everyone and their brother would like to see you and all your kind fade to dust...preferably with a good shove into the sunlight.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For 1-3 (oWOD) vs 4 (nWOD)
    http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Diff...en_VtM_and_VtR

I think 2 was the best in the 1-3 lot because the rules were less complex that 3 and it had less metaplot than 3 IMHO

Overall the new one is better but for the old timers its very annoying to get used to and some of the changes never sit well with old players. Requiem for Rome made me finally appreciate the new metaplot and bloodlines somewhat. nWOD rules are far better than oWOD though (with exceptions of sword fights and brawls).
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Venture
    Gangral
    Lasombra

Played 3e, never upgraded. Despite it's mechinism flaws, Vampire is the only game I've ever played where we would just sometimes not get out the dice and not only did it not offend me (rules lawyer) but it was better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice link, though I think many of the problems they saw with the evolution of the game would be more dependent on the storyteller, but that's the case with any game really. Whatever the system, it becomes what the GM & players make of it.

Though that said I think the main reason I like vampire so much is it lends very well to more interactive games of description rather than turns and turns of dice rolling. With the right group it's a huge amount of fun.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by praksis View Post
    Nice link, though I think many of the problems they saw with the evolution of the game would be more dependent on the storyteller, but that's the case with any game really. Whatever the system, it becomes what the GM & players make of it.

Though that said I think the main reason I like vampire so much is it lends very well to more interactive games of description rather than turns and turns of dice rolling. With the right group it's a huge amount of fun.
    I couldn't agree more about the storyteller & players, however requiem ventrue are not masquerade ventrue and requiem nosferatu are not masquerade nosferatu so for old timers its hard to dump that Cainite baggage (because the cain myth is gone to) On its own the new game is mostly better but I think there were several poor design decisions in the begining that every other book has had work with. (preditors taint, 5x5, to name two there are several more some of which I understand why they did it I just don't agree with the decision)
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast