Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Well perform obscene favours for WFRP3.
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Well perform obscene favours for WFRP3.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well perform obscene favours for WFRP3.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi guys,

I'm based in Ireland, which has very little WFRP 3 being played. In fact the system is generally pretty poorly received. I think it's great crack, everyone else... Not so much.

Anyway, I'm really hoping I can find a few online people to play with, I've been playing with others this way for a few years, but I really want to get my fix again as a player. Anyway, hoping to get in touch with some people.

Cheers,
    Aido.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran feng Shui and Call of Cthulhu for a short time in a different forum, it went ok. I tried here but it didn't last four weeks and my players are drifted way. I did run Solomon Kane for Savage Worlds in here once a week in chat here for almost three years - chatroom is broken though now for the past few months. Me and my friends used to play WFRP1 and then onto WFRP2 and got some of the books and some of the PDFs but 3 came out, its a new system, it has a lot of parts, weird dice things, cards for stuff - it put most everybody right off. With the original metal tin and it being like $80 or whatever, it was like the tabletop Warhammer stuff with minis and painting - none of us have nearly the kind of money to get into that sort of thing - Warhammer the mini game is an extremely expensive hobby for people that have this mythical thing known as "extra money" I guess, and this third edition sort of gave off that same vibe, so none of us really looked into it.

I wouldn't mind trying it at the table but I don't play anything nowdays except for an occasional game at my friend's - can't keep my brain focused to do regular online gaming ATM. I know WFRP3 got a ton of bad press on its initial release, and a lot of crying sorta like I did, but it looks like it got a following. How is it? What do you like, and not, about it? Have you played the previous versions? Can you compre them just from your opinion?
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played 2nd ed. WFRP from it's initial release. Got pretty into it. Had about 90% of the published material. Then FFG bought the licence and switched to 3rd ed and I howled like a spoiled child. I saw card pieces and bits and immediately assumed they were trying to sell me a board game shaped lemon. Four months after my tantrum, I decided to give it ONE CHANCE. My wife had bought the box for me and I decided I'd better use it.

There is an awful lot to like about wfrp3. Certainly the stress, wounds and mutation mechanics all make it as brutal and horrible a place to live as it has always been. Having everything on cards actually makes it easier to just draw and say "here, you are this type of crazy/sick/mutated." Not having everything in books I can leaf through is probably the biggest pain. The cost associated with this is also a bit daunting. As for tokens and bits, I find you can use as much and as little as you want. I've seen people simply retrofit Edge of Empire stuff into the game and it all works fairly well from there.

The dice system is great fun. The notion that even on a crushing unbeleivable critical success that you can still suffer unbelievable setbacks is a really nice thing to be able to play with as a GM. Especially since most PC's are always willing to risk just that little bit more for the sake of a success.

Anyway, I've been enjoying the system for several years now and was pretty miffed when it ended. I also get kinda pissed at people who always slate the system without having given it a go.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the idea of stunt dice and stuff and WFRP3's dice pool idea seems a little like that, though I've not gotten to PLAY a game using the stunt dice stuff (Dragon Age, etc), but W's idea looks slightly more complex, as you say, you can have critical success and still have enormous setbacks, which could be frustrating I'm sure but also dynamic since it's not an either/or situation.

I'm not sure about the stress and mutation stuff. I play and run Call of Cthulhu occasionally so I'm not against any of that for that reason, but I just hate bookkeeping and anything that keeps shoveling more counters and meters and points to track is on shakier and shakier ground with me, personally. I also think the idea of the cards can be really useful and especially for players, would really make things easy, and that's one of the main things that really had me giving it credit when I looked through it, though I agree, not having a single reference for the GM is a big frownie face - I'd probably wind up photocopying or making a giant document or spreadsheet 'cheat sheet' type of thing, since I did that with my already-on-the-age skills and talents character sheet for WFRP, so you didn't have to write "Follow Trail", you just checked the box, or the 10% one, etc.

So was it your local group evaporated? Have you looked other places or posted in or used the actual player-finder forum here? Also there is a one-shot Facebook group but most of the time people are wanting to play D&D5, though there have been an occasional post about Rifts or odd things here or there - not sure if I can readily recall a WFRP post or not, maybe you could make one? I don't play with anyone other than friends or family so I've never had cause to use the player-finder thing here, to look at what games are open, but I know from before the chat went down that a good half dozen people had found online and some offline games with it, which is, or at least was, an encouraging sign.
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, so I've been using this forum all wrong then.

I've made the big investment for all the wfrp stuff where I'm from and not many people are that interested in playing outside of that group. Also, I want to be the player for once, and that would mean handing my quite precious collection of stuff to a group of people that, honestly, I don't trust with.

Anyway, I'll post something up in the player finder.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it isn't really an either-or situation, more an "and-also", as people do the player/game-finder stuff and post their game in the forums, it's not spamming (unless of course it's spam) since that's what this site, PPG was originally known for, was connecting players, so a forum post and the player finder and complementary functions of the site.

I can understand about wanting to be a player. I thought I wanted to be a GM, which is ok (I do better than as a player), but I prefer working on rules and stuff even more. I also am very leery about, well, anything of mine leaving my power and other people getting their grubby little toes all over it, whether it be book to GM something or whatever else. If you do have friends that you do know and trust or can judge their responsibility, usually that's no problem for me, but if you can honestly post "I don't really trust", then I agree with you 100% that loaning your stuff out, even for a day or two, is ... iffy at best, and potentially disastrous at worst - which you hate to say or think, but truth is truth.
    Abstruse Decapod