Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
The Future of Pen & Paper Games - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: The Future of Pen & Paper Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    i think we should focus on gamer database, personally.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The LFG / LFP thing we have? Or do you mean just bringing more people here in general?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not much point in bringing more people here unless we have something unique/special worth staying for (see previous discussion). i mean we might manage to bring about a third renaissance to pnpg, but our second died out due to the problems we've been discussing before. the first most used feature is the game/player finder, the second was chat. if we are going to be "the goto" support site for pnpg, then we need to adapt and accommodate.

we have a pretty extensive gamer database, i think we should peddle that functionality as a "feature" to other sites. figure out how to integrate our database and functionality as a module in other forum types, enabling us to pool databases of users. it should either be a low cost or free/pay-for-premium structure so that it generates revenue needed to keep our site open. expand out into other countries and languages. brazil and europe have some serious gaming communities, as does japan. i was listening to a broadcast of a CoC game in japanese the other day. quite interesting to hear the spin they put on it.

it was pulled off with obsidian, we should really look into that again. our forums would need to be tweaked a bit to accommodate if it worked out.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've actually personally never used it. I've been of the mind that the "in person" games were dying out in favor of play-by-chat. Technology making it relatively easier for people to make games happen with NPC and map generators and not having to work out transportation for folks or feeding a horde of people in your living room every week. But that's just my experience / observation of things. I mean I know people who can find games just by posting a sign-in sheet at local game stores.

I doubt P&PG would make money off the game locator. I think people would just as well find another place to post meet-ups than pay for one that automates the process slightly.

We could be the "go-to" site for anything at this point since right now we're the "go-to" site for people who remember a few years ago when this site had traffic. I think Wizards ceased their "hook a week" thing where they posted adventure hooks sometimes with unique characters and monsters. We could do that. We used to have an "ask a DM" panel right? We know people involved in Aether Con, (I think) there are some game publishers / designers e-mails around here, contests can be hosted, we could host community made games or settings, really there's a lot of options that can be explored alongside the game locator.

I mean to say, I think there's some resources that can be tapped to try again (again.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just sent farcaster an email about the chat. Maybe he will fix it.
    If you've had a bit of a tumble:
    0118 999 881 999 119 725.....3

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone mention anything to Matt yet?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes he posted in this thread, and I posted about it in the mod forums as well. He said he'd contact Farcaster. *shrug*
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatterson View Post
    Yes he posted in this thread, and I posted about it in the mod forums as well. He said he'd contact Farcaster. *shrug*
    Happy late birthday by the way.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha thanks. It was... up to it, it was good. That day - not so good. It happens. A few of us are at a different chat for specifically the chat portion which isn't working here, though the rest of the site seems intact and people still registering and posting and looking and finding groups and players.
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it a chatzy room or skype or something?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I came in the hopes of finding someone to Face to Face play. I stayed in the hopes of seeing content. That's what this site lacks...Content.

Things that would keep me around?
    1. Home-brewed settings and system hacks.
    2. System/setting specific boards. Example a Starwars board within the Sci-fi board.

As of write now, there is not much that's gong to keep me around once I find a group. Once I get a group I'm going to want to get cracking and writing my next game. That will mean me going off to other boards to get ideas (reddit, 4chan, Somethingawful) or go to system specific boards to help me hammer out my setting.
    "Stupid should hurt"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those are some good ideas and observations, tireironmike.

1. When you say "hacks", do you mean people uploading their own houserules to a game so others can download them?

2. I think people always use many resources, and you can't be truly "loyal" to just one site when it's something requiring wide-ranging variety and creativity. Yes, even if there were good organization and nesting of forums (SW within Sci-Fi), the content is the other thing that's needed - all the great potetion setups are nothing if there's nothing in them. I don't have the ability to reorganize the forums, unfortunately, to even get that part taken care of.
    Abstruse Decapod

Downloads
    Uploads
    1. When you say "hacks", do you mean people uploading their own houserules to a game so others can download them?
    Similar, more like...More like this. Take a system you like, say NWOD. Add some stat splats, custom Merits and powers. Wrap it around a setting people are familiar and bam...NWOD:Marvel the Marveliing

2. I think people always use many resources, and you can't be truly "loyal" to just one site when it's something requiring wide-ranging variety and creativity. Yes, even if there were good organization and nesting of forums (SW within Sci-Fi), the content is the other thing that's needed - all the great potetion setups are nothing if there's nothing in them. I don't have the ability to reorganize the forums, unfortunately, to even get that part taken care of.
    I agree. right now this board needs user generated content to retain it's user base. Which means we need to increase our user base to generate content. It's a catch 22 situation.
    "Stupid should hurt"

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, you need a way to jumpstart user recruitment.

I haven't been on these forums in a couple of years, by the way. I came back to see if there were any 40K-specific boards. I seem to remember a lot of game-specific boards in the past.

Anyway, I've left these boards and returned on a few occasions already because the people here have been very helpful and friendly in the past. Any time I have had the desire to get involved with tabletop gaming, this has been my go-to forum. I only tend to go elsewhere if I can't find what I'm looking for here. User-generated content is definitely one of the things that I enjoy looking at. I think the gamer database could work, too (some would likely even pay for it, if they find it helpful enough), but you would definitely need more than the database alone to keep people coming back. Otherwise, other sites would just want the database to be an app that they could mod into their own forums, effectively cutting this one out entirely.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So what is the admin doing to promote pnpg these days?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast