Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Part: 2, Act: 1, Scene 1 - Page 7
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Part: 2, Act: 1, Scene 1

Downloads
    Uploads

Wrenwil

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    "No offense taken dear Ordechai, you may always speak your mind with me. Religion is merely another way to weave governance, power or corruption over the people. It is true, yet, at least with governance in Chival, comes duty and respect. Survival, like you say is something I also respect, it has been a long journey for me, and much needed to be learned along the way. The simple things, food, fire, the elements, navigation, can take a life as easily as bloodied sword."

"If you have trust in this owner at Sands which never Rest, then I would be most grateful if you could put in a word for me. My assumption would be that this is not a cheap enterprise?"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Bax, Garrisan, Ordechai, Wrenwil

Ordechai: "As a rule, smugglers aren't cheap but their price depends on their reputation and experience. Also, don't get me wrong, I do not trust the owner of the Restless Sands... he is devious and crooked and would sell us all out to bandits if he thinks there's profit in it. But as you can tell, I do not put on airs of being wealthy, and neither do you, or him..." He gestures jerking his thumb back at the Barossan Drunk. "...so it is more likely he'll sell his services to us rather than betray us."

"I have heard ideals of duty and chivalry are a way of life in Chival. I also know the church of Pentos originated there. Some of the Gallian immigrants, who now consider themselves Barossan, follow the Gallian Church of Pentos. Forgive me I am not well versed in history, but I understand a holy war was fought between your original church and the Gallian 'pretenders' that lasted for over two centuries?" He asks with obvious curiosity.

"Oh!" He adds suddenly "I just remembered something. Some time ago I acquired a very old tome that appears to be written in ancient Chivalan. I've been carrying it with me for month's but since nobody in these lands can read it nobody wants to buy it. I'll sell it to you cheap if you think its something you would be interested in?" He asks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wrenwil

~Mmm, betrayal. Not something I am used to. I shall word my message most carefully should this deal be made.~

"I am most grateful for your advice Ordechai, let us see what the current mood is in these Restless Sands, and perhaps if the timing is right, I shall prepare a short message."

"Oh the war indeed, it forms much of the history and reading our aspiring priests are forced to digest. There was much blood spilled. It is a sad tale, and to be honest one that I struggle with, violence not always being the best option perhaps... then again, sometimes you have to do, what you have to do right? It was almost a blessing that the Angul's forced our followers to begrudgingly reunite. I believe faith should achieve good things and avoid such horrid loss of life. You can call me devout yet cynical, perhaps from the old age."

He wanted to talk a little more on this, as he was surprised by the polite and intellectual conversation that this fellow was offering. ~Don't judge a tome by it's bindings hehe. ~

Upon mention of the tome, Wrenwil's ears perked up.

"Ordechai, you are a most observant man. Books you see, are my weakness," he winked at half dwarf.

"What have you got there? I'm intrigued! If the contents are of interest to you, I am more than happy to translate or narrate the main points for you. Let me see what it is, and I'll tell you what mysteries you are carrying. Of course, I will pay you most fairly."
    Last edited by Ivan; 06-27-2015 at 02:31 AM. Reason: New historical knowledge

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Ersun

He crosses his arms and grunts in response to Ania. It seems like she already developed a peculiar image of him, but he lets its slide this time and obliges. He will keep quiet and will just be a silent observer.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ordechai: Steps back to the hogs and murmurs soothing words to them as he quickly rummages through a few of his packs. "Aha!" He says removing a heavy leather-wrapped object. "An old blind beggar with a bloody bandage wrapped over his eyes traded this to me for a berelle of my finest Tejj..." He says placing the wrapped tome in your hands which is heavier than you anticipated. "...He said he didn't need it anymore and it deserved a new owner. It was kind of odd actually the way he said it, almost as if the tome itself had a soul or some such?..." Ordechai muses.

As you unwrap the tome you see it is literally bound in steel plate with hinges along the binding. The metal is badly tarnished with knicks, dents and scratches marring its finish. The cover was likely once beautifully engraved and painted, yet centuries of age has eroded the details down to a rough relief of a sword behind a shield. There is no legible writing on the cover, but the shape of the sword and shield definitely appear Chivalan in style.

The tome had a masterwork lock at some point, which has also also eroded with time so that it only serves now as a clasp easily unlocked with the point of a dagger. As you open the tome, the hinges squeak and bind as if protesting your eager hands. Now you see the pages within are not parchment at all, but rather paper-thin sheets of tin.

With some delight you do confirm Ordechai was correct, the writing within appears to be old Chivalan, very old in fact, formed in a highly stylized script you've only glimpsed in the oldest scrolls of the moldiest church libraries. Suddenly you recall hearing how there was once a period in Chivalan history where clerics took to writing on tin pages because journals of real parchment were too flammable for men who sometimes had to literally walk through flames.

Those were the earliest days of 'The Great Cleansing' as it was known... a period of terrible conflict between the ancient Khimeran dynasty of half demon kings and the followers of the five saints of Pentos. Those were dire times indeed for the people of Chival, where so much burned of the old world that it was almost impossible to imagine a future.

Yet after many years of strife, and many many lives lost, the church successfully banished the demons back to the hells and hunted Herods followers into obscurity. Tin journals of known martyrs are treasured antiques back in Chival. Depending on the author, it might easily fetch its weight in gold back home, yet the sentimental value for those of real faith easily eclipses that.

With trembling fingers you flip over the first page and read the following inscription...

Kryslogius of Anasteria was a knight,
    He would sing and he would fight,
    He fell for a lady with a voice of gold,
    He failed to court her and was told,
    Sing to me a tale of your deeds,
    100 of these I would need,
    He quested ages until one day,
    He found he could not hold his blade,
    He begged for youth that he had lost,
    For this he paid the ultimate cost,
    Bound to a tome forever to serve,
    Til the songs of 100 Legends are herd

...which puzzles you because at first glance this tome does not appear to be a journal at all, but rather, a very early record of a legend you heard as a boy... of Kryslogius the Melody Knight, conned by a succubus into trading his soul for her eternal love.

The legend was a lesson Chivalan youth were taught as a reminder to be vigilant, for even after the followers of Herod the demon lord were defeated, they were never completely annihilated. To this day many in Chival believe there are still evil cultists in their midst seeking the return of their lord Herod to power tempting the faithful into sin and corruption.

Clerics especially were taught by his example to deny themselves all desires beyond duty and righteousness. Kryslogius was said to be a hero who's heart was unguarded, cursed to betray himself so long as he put love before duty. Later in life you heard rumors among very learned members of the clergy that Kryslogius was himself a cleric who lost his way and was only later referred to as a knight because the church didn't want anyone looking too deeply into his true story.

Your eyes flick to the next page and read the following...

Kryslogious the brave
    Kryslogious the damned
    Kryslogious can be saved
    by the blood of thyne own hand
    Read ahead if you dare, unless you can resist
    The urge to accomplish some great wish

[Wrenwil:
    Make a Will Save, DC 20]
    Last edited by Narayan; 06-28-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wrenwil

"Ohhhh my," Wrenwil muttered before he'd even opened it.

~What are the odds? Too low, way way too low, yet, I must have it. Yes.~

The story, the history, the age of this Tome, he knew there and then that this was the book he MUST have. Pentos had delivered it into his hands, and no doubt he would be praying like he'd never prayed before this eve. Flipping the page, the words called out to him Read ahead if you dare, unless you can resist...

[Will save 16 (+8) = 24]

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Ania, Ersun, Vakus

As you pass through after Ania you find yourself in a dank, dimly lit tunnel with another identical gate about twenty feet away. The air within stinks of half-rotten meat and old bloodstains. Both walls of the tunnel have been crudely excavated to make a holding cell (complete with iron bars) opposite a living space on the other. The eyes of the elderly goblin almost seem to glow in the deep shadows as he climbs atop a waist-high platform before the living space and seats himself behind a low desk at eye level with you.

Beside the platform, seated on a bench, is one of the
    most hideous looking humanoids you've ever laid eyes on. He has putrid grayish skin with less body hair than a typical underfolk. His exceedingly broad shoulders are hunched forward and sagging exaggerating the already unnatural long reach of his arms. His hands are oddly large, clawed and very strong looking.

Currently with one hand he grasps what looks like another humanoids forearm from which he rips strips of flesh off with the aid of fangs jutting out from beneath a grotesquely hooked nose. You'd guess if he stood to its full height this beastly being would stand about eight feet tall and carry nearly three hundred pounds of muscle.

His clothing is little better than rags with a patchwork of chain hauberks strapped around his torso as armor. A heavy bladed axe is tucked into a belt around his waist along with a wickedly curved dagger. He stares at the pair of you as though literally sizing you up as pieces of meat he might chew on.

Vakus meanwhile begins to shuffle papers around on his desk by the light of a single candle. (For a moment, you even wonder if this Goblin can actually read?!)

Vakus: -Speaking Goblin- "So you wish to pass through yesss?" He asks imperiously.

Ania: Corrects him. -Speaking Goblin- "It is not a wish, it is an order. As I said we are on an important errand for Crusher himself."

Vakus: Frowns. "So you say... but I take my job very seriously, as you know Ania. I will not be dissuaded from my duty!"

Ania: Nods. "I know the drill Vakus. Lets not waste any time..."

Vakus: Smiles for a split second before he stands and looks to the... thing... beside him. --Speaking Undercommon- "Hold her!" He orders.

With a grunt the thing rises from its bench and tucks the arm it was chewing inside its waist band for later, still dribbling with blood, and moves to reach for Ania. She does not appear to be alarmed however.

[Ersun: What do you do?](Make a Knowledge: Dungeoneering, DC 16. Check to know what type of humanoid that is who is taking orders from Vakus)
    Last edited by Narayan; 06-29-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The inscription in the tome provokes a powerful compulsion to imagine a dark fantasy. Something ambitious, yet evil, like a throne of skulls made from your enemies. For an instant you want to believe the tome can make such a wish come true. Thankfully you realize you did not beckon those dark thoughts and have the will to resist them. Moments later, the feeling ebbs away like a dull headache.

Ordechai: Notices the worrisome look on your face and stops in his tracks. "Nik, are you alright?" He asks with concern.

You feel your own heart racing while sweat forms upon your brow. Whatever this tome is, it clearly possesses something extraordinary. Probably magical, but something else as well, not exactly awareness, but an echo of a former consciousness. A lingering presence that makes you feel like the tome is reading you while you are reading it.

You have heard rumors before about old relics having odd influences on their keepers. Other tin-journals, recovered from the pile of smoking bones of their owners who fought demons and failed, have been known to cause terrible nightmares for those who read them regardless of what was written within.

[Wrenwil: What do you do?]

Downloads
    Uploads

Wrenwil

Wrenwil was torn like a page in an old book, a paper page, not this tin that he had in his hands. ~I want to read this. No I don't. I want to read this. No I don't. No I don't. Arrgh stop!~

As he came to terms with the clawing in his brain, he heard Ordechai's words. He looked up from the tome, wiped his brow and said, "Forgive me, I think excitement and the heat are catching up with me! Tell me, what price do you ask for this interesting work?" He tapped a finger on the cover of the Tome gently. He knew the price was irrelevant really, he was going to own this one way or another.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ordechai: Shrugs "In all honesty I probably exaggerated when I said I gave the blind beggar a berelle of my finest Tejj... it was above average at best." He chuckles. "I'll sell the tome to you for for five gold pieces. At least than I won't be taking a loss. Is that agreeable?" He asks

Downloads
    Uploads

Wrenwil

~Five gold! For surely this man is raving mad! I expected he would ask for my very soul... I can not cheat him so. I wonder, perhaps he knows more than he lets on...~

[Sense Motive - 16 (+3) = 19]

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    ~Five gold! For surely this man is raving mad! I expected he would ask for my very soul... I can not cheat him so. I wonder, perhaps he knows more than he lets on...~

[Sense Motive - 16 (+3) = 19]
    Results of Skill Check_______________________________________

You sense no trickery afoot here. Ordechai apparently has no idea how much the tome might actually be worth. But of course value is always relative to the beholder. Besides, according to him he's been carrying it for months and reports no strange thoughts? Whatever influence the tome has over its possessor must only be unlocked by someone who can actually read it.
    __________________________________________________ _______

[Wrenwil: What do you do?]

Downloads
    Uploads

Wrenwil

With a surprised look on his face, Wrenwil stood there a moment, holding this rare and battered tome in his left hand. With his right, he slid fingers beneath his tattered linen overgarments, to his belt and pouch. Checking that nobody else was paying him too much attention, he slipped out five platinum pieces, and placed them in Ordechai's hand.

"Dear friend, five pieces it is then, however for gold I would not be satisfied. I travel light in coin and attachment, however for gold it would be truly unfair. I collect books you see, and this one though old, is very new to me, and will serve well on this long journey. Here, take my payment in platinum, as thanks for all you have done this day."

[Spot Check to make sure nobody is looking before extracting coin = 5 (+3) = 8]
    [50GP worth of coin subtracted from character sheet]

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Bax, Garrisan, Kryslogious, Ordechai, Wrenwil

The gleam of platinum coins in your palm startles Ordechai. He stares at them with apparent disbelief for half a moment before he quickly grabs them and tucks them away.

Ordechai: "Nooo my friend! Do not flash that sort of coin in the open again!" He says with an urgent hushed tone. "I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised to see a Chivalan carrying platinum, but here in the poorer corners of the world we rarely see it. We only know it as the currency of the rich civilizations, which attracts the wrong sort of attention in lesser hands!" He says in warning. "...Nevertheless I thank you kindly, the tome is yours..."

Bax:
    (Spot Check: = 19) The Goblin appears to have glimpsed the coin as well and moves closer towards you. "Show Bax more shiiiiny coins!" He says with wide eyes.

Ordechai: "Shut up damn you!" He curses immediately lifting a heavy boot to roughly kick the goblin away. Bax goes sprawling into the dirt and sand in a cloud of dust.

Several paces ahead of you, the pair of hill dwarves on ponies suddenly wheel around and trot back towards you. One levels a spear while the other aims a loaded crossbow. The one with the crossbow appears to be slightly older and likely the decision maker between them.

Hill Dwarf with crossbow:
    (Spot check: = 9) -Speaking Dwarven- "What is this trouble!" He growls at Ordechai.

Hill Dwarf with Spear: Glares at you Wrenwil.
    (Spot check: = 18) -Speaking Common- "Don't think for a second we didn't spot those platinum coins old man! How many more do you carry?!"

Meanwhile, Garrisan starts to step forward reaching for his broadsword... and then suddenly, a glowing circle appears in the sands beside Wrenwil flashing with arcane runes. A being of pure light appears standing within it, dimming in brightness as its form solidifies into a Chivalan knight in full plate!

[Wrenwil: Roll intitiative!]
    [Kryslogious: You may act immediately after Wrenwil's turn in initiative in this first round]

Downloads
    Uploads

Wrenwil

~Oh no! I was sure nobody was looking, and for a small handful of platinum I am still deceiving this man, is this my reward for honesty Pentos?~

Wrenwil's face grew stern as the hill dwarves approached, his grip on the staff tightening in anticipation. Then the Chivalan Knight appeared, and Wrenwil's jaw dropped...

[Initiative = 15]
    Last edited by Ivan; 07-05-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast