Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
To my chagrin.... - Page 4
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: To my chagrin....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    the conflict resolution mechanic?

well, it is a tertiary mechanic in order to provide a method of resolving deadlocks and ties to the primary method, noetic combat. i have been recently contemplating making it a quaternary mechanic so as to provide a greater focus on the purposed intent of the game - supporting storytelling.

noetic means "of the mind or intellect", it also has a connotation of exploring the mind or how the mind affects one's surroundings via non-traditional methods, which ties into the alpha version of the proposed campaign world/setting.

in any case, noetic combat is conflict resolution by storytelling. as previously mentioned, characters consist of traits. traits are one-word descriptions of what a character is. the definition of a given trait provides the guidance for how a trait may be used. in a conflict each participant picks a trait they will use to resolve it with. the player then describes the thoughts and intended actions of the character referencing the trait as often as possible without duplication of words or repetitious description. working in one or more references to other traits the character possesses is also acceptable. working in references to other stories (previous events in the game, movies, literature, real life, etc.,) or using said references to obliquely reference the trait is encouraged. each instance of a reference is worth a 'weight'. some references might be well layered, and be worth multiple weights. whomever's story has the most weight, "wins".

the secondary mechanic, trait showdown, only occurs if noetic combat ties or is unresolved. the tertiary tiebreaker only occurs if the previous two fail to resolve.

my hinted at forth mechanic would occur between the noetic combat and trait showdown, and would be a sub-set of noetic combat where the other characters in the game can add noetic weight to the side of their choice to tip the balance... and possibly gain some of the win benefit.

Tesral's concern, the 'best always wins' (assuming a numerical superiority idea) would not happen unless trait showdown occurred, where one chooses at what value the trait will be applied. (though, if you had some that were better at stringing words together than others, that could potentially cause imbalance in the game...)
    Last edited by nijineko; 01-29-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any other thoughts or feedback?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. Give us an example of the rules in use.

Situation 1: Jpat sits in front of the World's Hardest Crossword Puzzle. How do you know if he completes it?
    Situation 2: AK74 and the Moderator are about to go to fisticuffs. What do they (not) roll?
    Situation 3: Fmitch crawls up to the emperor, begging forgiveness for walking his regiment into an ambush and losing the whole thing. How does he succeed/fail?
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.30
    http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DMMike View Post
    Yes. Give us an example of the rules in use.

Situation 1: Jpat sits in front of the World's Hardest Crossword Puzzle. How do you know if he completes it?
    Situation 2: AK74 and the Moderator are about to go to fisticuffs. What do they (not) roll?
    Situation 3: Fmitch crawls up to the emperor, begging forgiveness for walking his regiment into an ambush and losing the whole thing. How does he succeed/fail?
    1) The GM (or player who created said puzzle) will select a trait that embodies the difficulty of the puzzle and layer in references to said trait and supporting references into the puzzle's description for noetic weight. Jpat reviews his character's traits and picks the one he feels will most apply. He then describes how he will use his trait (layering in references to other character traits and references to other game events, popular media, clever puns, and whatever else fits the theme of his attempted action as appropriate for increased noetic weight) to solve the puzzle. Whomever's story carries more noetic weight has triumphed in the conflict.

2) Each individual selects the trait they will use in the first engagement (exchange of stories). They then each describe in turn how they will start off the combat. Whichever description carries more noetic weight determines who goes next in describing how they will press their advantage. For each engagement, the players select which trait they feel is most appropriate. For example, if the Moderator's story during the initial exchange carries more weight, Moderator will likely select a trait suitable for aggressive physical combat, perhaps strength. AK74 may in turn select a trait such as agility for use in a defensive fashion, and maybe work in counter-attacks into the description during AK74's turn. Combat continues until resolution has been accomplished. In the event of the quaternary mechanic I am contemplating, other players would also have a contribution during each exchange to describe their thoughts and reactions to the combat which would have the effect of lending noetic weight to one side or there other, as each player prefers. This would prevent a long series of engagements from isolating other players with nothing to do.

3) (Assuming the GM is playing the part of the Emperor) The GM would describe the thoughts, feelings, and any statements of the Emperor to establish noetic weight. Fmitch selects the most appropriate trait and describes the character's thoughts and actions layering in references for noetic weight. Whomever has the greater noetic weight will swing the story towards their desires (as described in their portion of the exchange). Other players may add in noetic weight to whichever side they choose if the quaternary mechanic is in effect. This includes any NPCs (advisors, councilors, whomever has the ear of the Emperor and may be trying to influence the decision for or against Fmitch).

Generally speaking, the greater the difference in noetic weight, the more impactful the change should be in favor of whichever side weighed in more.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh. Well, that is really cool! It sounds like a lot of fun, too. My concern is that it sounds highly subjective, so players might find that their efforts don't matter very much since it seems to just boil down to GM opinion. I hope that's not the case.