Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Attracting Attention?`
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Attracting Attention?`

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Attracting Attention?`

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm not sure how many threads there have been so far about this particular topic in however many months. But here's another one. We can talk about what we think will help, what we'll be willing to do to get there, and cover as much ground as we'd like to. Except this time Matt, our new admin, will see what you say.

And so to kick things off, in my opinion, the answer is events. Art events, game events, "talk with developer" events. Then advertise those as many places as possible. Get more people to do more things here.

I suggested this way back and ended up flanking because life didn't agree with me, but a writing panel. As far as I know WotC doesn't do Steal this Hook anymore, which was one of the only reasons I ever went there.

Maybe we can get in touch with some more artists and have some showcases for them, events for them as well even. "Map of the week" or map contests and judges.

This kind of stuff doesn't even need tangible rewards. Recognition works. Post the winners names in the Home page and give them a unique title like mine or signature banner or something.

If everyone tells their friends and posts in their game stores about the events or runs the hook of the week and tells people where they got it, I think we could populate this place.

I'm no expert, but I believe this can work and it couldn't hurt to try.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it's weird, but I guess a certain level of features/services doesn't make a difference.

For example:
    ENworld has its random-generator feature, which is very cool - but as far as I can tell, no one uses it.
    P&PG has its awesome chat-game-room. I don't understand why it's not packed with raucous games every night.

So, short of loading up a PHP/flash MMORPG onto this site, I'd like to recommend a cool feature to add. But they don't seem to work.

Maybe -cough-cough- D&D 5 will garner some chatroom users, since I heard it's not map-grid dependent?
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.30
    http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing is map-grid dependent if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd tend to disagree. D&D 4e was heavily tactical map dependent. While you could get away with not using it for simple stuff, positioning was a critical component in the combat rules -- and it only became more so as you progressed in tiers.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I'd tend to disagree. D&D 4e was heavily tactical map dependent. While you could get away with not using it for simple stuff, positioning was a critical component in the combat rules -- and it only became more so as you progressed in tiers.
    I was partly joking partly speaking in reference to 3.5. Which does apparently work better with grids, but I never used them. Didn't play much 4e.

Anyway, if there was a way to put a virtual tabletop here, even a minimalist one, it'd be an immense boost to the potential of the chat. But like DMMike alluded to, the problem isn't a lack of features.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a good thread. What I would like everyone to think about is tasks that are common and mundane at a gaming table. Even if people are not using PnPG to actually facilitate their games, what can we add here that would cause them to keep the site up while playing?

Things like:
    * RNGs (random number generators; i.e. dice rollers).
    * Random encounter generators
    * Encounter/Monster images

Etc...

Integrating technology into our community here has many avenues. Remember, don't look at the widget itself, rather all angles of it.

More to follow as times permits...
    Matt James
    Lead Developer, Vorpal Games
    Follow me on Twitter

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name Generators for Characters, Kingdoms, Lands.
    A Roll Dice button rather than a chat prompt.
    A Hit Point / Statistic meter that GMs or Players could see next to someones name or something and add / subtract from as the game goes on.
    Maybe a roll to hit calculator. Something like {/roll 1d20+2 v 18} if the roll lands above 18 the chat says "Hit" or "Miss" if it doesn't.
    Make the card drawing function a little fancier, so people could have hands and other players could see the amount of cards in their hand next to their name.

Some suggestions off the top of my head.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have a site with a lot of generators i've made aand might have some useful input in that direction. a simple user-only notepad on chat page would he helpfil in minimalist tracking hp's for chat games. events seems a good idea though i'm new to how to approach such things
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatterson View Post
    i have a site with a lot of generators i've made aand might have some useful input in that direction. a simple user-only notepad on chat page would he helpfil in minimalist tracking hp's for chat games. events seems a good idea though i'm new to how to approach such things
    Thank you. The current site "most active persons at one time" record was set because of the event we held to break the record. And people were more than happy to show up despite only a raffle and a tag in their names (the 300+7).

So it's worked once before to drag people in here. We can expand upon that idea easily I think.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    what can we add here that would cause them to keep the site up while playing?
    What about before and after playing, as well?

Before: player scheme chat, DM info dissemination, Obsidian Portal style campaign wikis
    After: character journals, character development plans or level-up optimization...

During: searchable database, with each entry being rateable by users. You'll need a few templates for this, and keywords. The templates might have these broad categories: dungeon rooms, wilderness rooms, chest contents, peasants, nobles, travellers, and monsters. Then each broad category can be sorted/selected by special category, e.g.

Dungeon Room
    Choose: Trap room, treasure room, haunted room, thoroughfare

Just thinking with the keyboard...