Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Hello from NJ!
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Hello from NJ!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello from NJ!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi there!

I'm a D&D player from Sussex County, NJ. For some of high school and college I played weekly, but I haven't had the chance for the past couple of years. In September I'm moving to Japan, but I suddenly remembered how much I enjoyed D&D days and wanted to play again. I have no idea if my past group is still around, though, or if they'll let me duck back in when I'll be leaving soon again.

That aside, I'm looking forward to wandering around the forum.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    HI there Lady Stardust, welcome to the site and forum!

I don't know if it's like this for most game sites/forums, but we get a lot of people that used to play and recently have been rediscovering their want to try their hand at gaming again. I guess that and people that somehow lost their local group and then people new to gaming are just about all the ways people find PPG, but I'm glad to report all kinds are welcome and usually find things they like here, or are useful.

The forums are great for all kinds of activities, from conversations about gaming and actual play-by-post adventures run by people here. So definitely feel free to tour around and comment and even start your own threads if you want, and be sure to check out the "Player Locator" feature for finding local groups or GMs or online ones, since you say you're moving soon. The blogs, groups and news posts and downloads features of the site are awesome resources for a lot of various interests, from free legal games to adventures to some interesting player theories about gaming aspects and information on new industry happenings.

Some of us also hang out in the chatroom here, and get to enjoy realtime conversation with other gamers and even run and play realtime games via text (or voice) in private subrooms (I run Solomon Kane for Savage Worlds every Sunday at 7:30 pm CST here, but it's quickly winding down). PPG's first "convention" is scheduled for Aug 16 here, with special guests and many people running different kinds of games all day, so I urge you to check out chat and find out more, or any of the various forum posts with links to see what games are around, and maybe sign up if you want to try some online gaming (which you can continue even after you move, we'll still be here!). Links: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...965#post191965 and http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...nd-Roleplayers .

So yah, either in the forums or chat or both, why not share a little more about your gaming experiences and get to know people. How long have you been gaming, and do you GM or play more? What style or genre or game, and what systems did/do you like? Are there specific games you'd like to try out that you haven't gotten to? Again, welcome!
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
    Hi there!

I'm a D&D player from Sussex County, NJ. For some of high school and college I played weekly, but I haven't had the chance for the past couple of years. In September I'm moving to Japan, but I suddenly remembered how much I enjoyed D&D days and wanted to play again. I have no idea if my past group is still around, though, or if they'll let me duck back in when I'll be leaving soon again.

That aside, I'm looking forward to wandering around the forum.
    You might want to look into Virtual Tabletop games.. that way when you move you can still play as long as you have an internet connection. I play in several regular games per week myself from the comfort of my own bedroom (or wherever I happen to be with my laptop). You miss out on a bit of the fun of 'being there' with friends.. but the gaming fun is still there and it is very social if you can get involved with a good group.

I use the Fantasy Grounds VT but there are several of them out there. Check out www.fantasygrounds.com if you are interested... they have a great community... lots of gaming opportunities. We play a lot of Pathfinder (D&D 3.5+), using the Pathfinder Society Organized Play rules.. these tend to be pickup one shot games.. which works out well for meeting up with new folks and finding people you like to play with on a regular basis.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for your replies. I've been thinking about trying out playing online, and I have heard good things about Fantasy Grounds. I'll definitely check out the links you've both given me!

To answer your questions, jpatterson, I guess I've been playing for about three or four years, always in D&D 3.5 (Forgotten Realms and some Eberron). I've always played so far, never GMed. Honestly, at some point I'd like to give Call of Cthulu a try, as well as spending more time with D&D.