Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 130

Thread: Part 1: Act 3: Scene 2

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Main Group

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiko
    {Emiko sets her writing materials aside and walks over to Sher'Reek. She pulls off the cloth that made up her makeshift coverings, and holds it out in front of her to hand to Sher'Reek.}
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiko
    "This cloth would serve better for your size rather than my large cloak... Not only that, but I would like my cloak returned to me now, it is important to me... Also, I think we should put Cael's body with Ivar's for now. It makes sense to keep the dead in one place don't you think?" She says motioning for Sher'Reek to produce her bag of holding and give Emiko back her cloak.

    "Where is Ivar's body, Wrusk-San? Don't you think it wise to keep Cael with him as well?" She turns speaking to Wrusk behind her while she waits for Sher'Reek to comply.


    Sher' Reek:
    {Does as she is bid, removing your cloak and quickly covering herself in the Geisha wrappings you've been wearing, though they are also large and poorly fitting for her. Then she produces her bag of holding.}

    Wrusk: {Frowns} "So Cael has fallen? What a shame." {Helps remove his body from Sher' Reek's bag of holding.} "I put Ivar's body in the shed of animal carcasses we use for furs. I know its not the most respectful way to store a body, but it's the best place to hide it from the Vulkyrie because it disguises the smell."

    Arminas: {Steps over} "Wouldn't that magical dust you used earlier hide the smell?"

    Wrusk: "I doubt it. The Vulkyrie have the strongest noses I've ever seen. The powder is only strong enough to mask a lingering scent, not an actual person or thing."

    Arminas: "Burying the bodies isn't an option?"

    Wrusk: {Snorts} "Perhaps, but my tannery isn't a graveyard! Besides, I'm sure these Half Dwarves have family who want their bodies returned to them..."


    Arminas: {Nods} "Of course. Shall I help you carry Cael upstairs then?"

    [Cred, Emiko: What do you do?]
    Last edited by Narayan; 07-08-2014 at 01:44 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Budapest
    Age
    25
    Posts
    40
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Ersun

    “Until next time then” He says as he watches Izel leave. Twelve hours, that is plenty of time, and now that he thinks about it, there should be plenty to do as well.

    He continues to finish his remaining drinks while playing with a coin on the table. First he should think of what story to give for his leave, but that should not be that hard, something simple should suffice. Maybe he met someone who offered to take him out on a longer ranging, and why not. That should be hard to disprove, and he can’t think of a better option so far. Telling his family and old Lysen should suffice.

    Then he should dig up what the rest of the people know and think, about this affair with the newcomers, without letting out what he just learned of course. Although he doesn’t expect much, but maybe there will be some leak, he could be called a warmage too with a stretch, after all, even if he tries to avoid its duties. He could question Lysen too while he is telling he will be off, maybe she caught onto something.

    What information to look for... Learning more about Izel and about his recent activities, and another two senior warmage to make it less obvious who and why he exactly wants to know about. One of those extras could be Enoch, the Speaker of the Council, maybe something other kind of interesting will turn up there too.

    He also wants to learn more details about the scouts who have been captured. He already heard rumours about them, if he asks at the right people, then they are bound to know something more.

    Mind flayers... just the thought of them sends shivers down his spine. He could ask some senior warmages and warriors how they are doing with That threat these days. He has all the reason to be wary of them due to his experience, and if he asks calmly and logically enough then maybe they’ll let onto more than just trying to soothe his fears.

    He might as well ask one or two things about ranging to strengthen his alibi, that won’t take much time.

    So, supposedly there are people watching him sometimes, maybe he can find out something about those little spies now that he knows about them, or at least watch out for them.
    ~Just don’t get too paranoid, Ersun.~

    Then he should have a large meal and pack his belongings. He shouldn’t need anything more than what he usually takes with himself to his travels.

    Rest of the time can be spent with leisure, entertain his little sisters and hang out with his brother. If he is good he might even get a few hours of sleep before he comes back to meet with that so called Shul. It is time to make good use of twelve hours, set schedules can be exciting when they are not impossible. He says farewell to the barman as he leaves to do so, humming a merry tune about snakes and foxes nonchalantly.

    (Gather Information check: 23)

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Exclamation Jiao Zhang

    <Start of Round 5>


    • Bleeding Damage ( * )
    • Fire Damage ( # )
    • Cold Damage ( @ )
    • Spell Damage ( ^ )
    • Poison Damage ( ! )


    The order of initiative is:

    (18) Yorick (Holding Action)
    (16) Jiao (-16)(-15)
    (15) Purusartha
    (15) Vulkyrie Guard (-6)(-23)(-29)(-12)(Unconscious)
    (4) Sauel

    Jiao attempts to grapple the Vulkrie again.

    Jiao:
    • (Initiate Grapple Check: = 15, Hit)
    • (Opposed Strength Check: = 18, Win)(Location: Chest)


    Vulkyrie Guard: (Opposed Strength Check: = 7, Fail)

    Jiao manages to step closer to the Vulkyrie and wrap his arms around it lifting it off its feat in a show of mighty strength before he slams the Vulkyrie down to the ground with all his weight atop it
    in a body-slam!

    Jiao:
    • (Body Slam Critical Check: = 27, Not a Critical)
    • (Body Slam Damage: = 29)


    The Vulkyrie's Rib's crack under the brutal body slam as it opens its beak to make a silent shriek as all the air is forced from its lungs! [Vulkyrie is now prone]

    Jiao glares deep into the Vulkyrie's black eyes and snorts with exertion through his bull-like nostrils before he tries to finish it off with his horns!

    Jiao: (Horn Strike: = 33, Hit)(Location: Skull)(Damage: = 12)

    With a savaged jerk of his head Jiao drags a horn across the Vulkyrie's skull, tearing off a large bit of hide revealing pale bone beneath!

    Vulkyrie Guard: (Fortitude Save to remain conscious at negative Hit Points, DC 17: = 16, Fail) [Vulkyrie is now unconscious]

    The Vulkyrie's eyes roll up into his head as it's breathing becomes very shallow and ragged. Jiao stands and bellows with triumph, placing one hoof atop the Vulkyrie's chest in a pose of victory!

    __________________________________________________ ____________

    <End Round 5> <End of Combat>



    Last edited by Narayan; 07-08-2014 at 02:45 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Purusartha's Pack

    The three of you quickly move up to Jiao now that he has triumphed.

    Yorick: "Well done Jiao!"

    Purusartha: {Kneels close to the Vulkyrie} "It still lives! What shall we do with it?"

    Jiao: {Grunts} "Maybe rip its head off as a trophy?"

    [Sauel & Rabi: Make Spot Checks]



  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hermiston
    Posts
    316
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Post Sauel

    With Jaio's success in the battle Sauel gave a little sigh of relief. One fewer thing to worry about. Jaio would have to forgive sauel for not applauding and congratulating Jaio at present; Although he would have liked to.

    Still Yorick had mentioned seeing a Wererat, meaning there was still one loose end they might have to deal with... But seeing Jaio facing a Vul and not a Were brought up questions and curious concerns. Did the wererat already run away like Kasha and her group when a Vul arrived? That seemed likely, but they had arrived now nearly half a minute later after Xaio had run away. There were still enough trees to hide behind as well, potentially it could be an ambush, but with a single Vul in the area Sauel had doubts about that.

    (Spots checks. Sauel: 15, Rabi: 9)

    If Sauel didn't spot the wererat he would pause and closed his eyes trying to sense any were's nearby beyond the four he was aware of. He probably would fail but it was worth a shot.

    (Detect/Survival: 30, -2 for blood ignored, -2 for near full moon ignored (they are both were's))

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    gravesend
    Age
    38
    Posts
    49
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Burrai Steelborn

    Quote Originally Posted by Elloral View Post
    "I don't trust that Gilbur fellow. He puts on a big show about avoiding the subject of the black network, but a frightened person doesn't pretend to snore... a frightened person would just lay there quietly."

    "I agree with what you said Burrai. It's clear the network is up to something. Whatever it is may be in this journal..." {pats it on her side} "...which makes it all the more imperative that we translate it as soon as possible. I don't know who else has any answers unless we find an opportunity to talk to Rol without Gilbur around?"
    Burrai sits on the ground, axe across his knees, and grunts.

    "As long as we've got that....artifact with us, trust is at a premium. Maybe he was sleeping a little too soundly, maybe they were on the lookout for a pair of dwarves arriving in Cabarda in the night. Maybe it was just the orcish ale." He stares out at the night. Elloral's observations were sharp, but suspicion often has a way of twisting the facts to meet fears. He nods to himself. "Depending on how things go with Jabbar, perhaps I'll seek out Rol. Alone. It could just be fear on his part - Sylornath knows the Black Network stirring would put any honest merchant on edge - it could be more. But we'll find out little before dawn, shy of going back there and proving more terrifying than anything from Skull Mountain."

    With that he falls silent. Someone once said, long ago, that most of soldiering is waiting, and experience hadn't show him any difference. With the dawn would come answers, through once source or another. But there were none here in the dark.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Ersun

    Quote Originally Posted by Ersun
    “Until next time then” He says as he watches Izel leave. Twelve hours, that is plenty of time, and now that he thinks about it, there should be plenty to do as well. It is time to make good use of twelve hours, set schedules can be exciting when they are not impossible. He says farewell to the barman as he leaves to do so, humming a merry tune about snakes and foxes nonchalantly.

    (Gather Information check: 23)
    After you exit The Worm in the Bottle you head home, casually looking over your shoulder for anyone watching and/or following you...

    Ersun: (Spot Check, DC 23: = 17, Fail)

    ...but there seems to be no one tailing you.

    Once you're home you greet your family and give them the news that you'll be out on a long ranging. Your older brother isn't there, and your little twin sisters aren't old enough to sense you may be lying. Your parents however may...

    Ersun: (Bluff Check, Take 10: = 18).

    Ersuns Father: (Sense Motive: = 14, Fail)
    Ersuns Mother: (Sense Motive: = 22, Success)

    Your father seems preoccupied and doesn't really pay much attention to you except to say be careful. Your mother however does press you for more details before you leave...

    Ersun: (Bluff Check, DC 22: = 23, Success)

    You manage to lie to her well enough to calm her down and make your way to your old friend-and-mentor Lysen's. Her home is rather nice by the standards of your tribe. She even pays for help because she is insufferably lazy. That, and the fact she lives alone doesn't sit well with much of the tribe. But her gifts as a duskblade make her somewhat famous and begrudgingly well respected.

    Her home is a two story manor made of finely worked stone. It is one of the original duergar-built structures that are better made then those built by your tribe. Typically homes like hers that are among the best in the city are reserved for the Warmages or other important leaders. Lysen's former husband was a warmage, well-remembered for sacrificing his life in defense of the tribe. Lysen was allowed to remain in the manor in his honor.

    As usual, you have to wait for a servant to open her front door. His name is Rahul, the eldest and most experienced of her help. You've known him for years, as long as Lysen herself. He's the only servant she's put up with for as long as you've known her. He's in his fifties with long silvery-white hair tied in a pony tail down half his back.

    Rahul: (Spot Check, DC 23: = 16, Fail) "Oh, hello Ersun. Miss Lysen is training right now. Would you like to see her?"

    Ersun: "Yes please."

    Rahul nods and opens the door wider for you. Inside her manor it is well appointed, with collections of exotic rugs, art objects, weapons and magic items. You've examined most of them and listened to all the stories she told about each one. Lysen and her former husband, Morelo, were well traveled, taking any opportunity to visit other tribes and other cultures. She speaks of him fondly, but rarely.

    Behind her Manor, within an exterior wall, is a garden and a training arena Lysen uses to keep fit and perfect her craft. Indeed it never ceases to amaze you how well she moves despite her age. You watch her now, whirling and cutting at several dummies standing around the perimeter, some of which occasionally burst into flame or get blasted by a surge of electricity as her enchanted sword deals extra damage.

    Duskblades are among the most appreciated warriors in Underfolk society, even more then some champions of the warrior caste. Their talent for mixing magic and melee combat make them capable adversaries against the dark elves who wield magic so well it might as well be in their blood (and many say it is). Duskblades as a whole are too rare to serve in the same capacity as the warrior-caste so they are usually lone mercenaries, like Lysen was before she was married.

    You smile watching her decapitate one of the dummies, a difficult feat for you even though you must've swung at them several thousand times. Lsyen of course has probably swung at them ten times more, which is why she often says there's no substitute for experience. You remember this arena fondly and you'll always appreciate Lsyen as a teacher and a mentor. Her training gave you strength and confidence after Shala's death so you could stand tall and conquer your fears.

    Lsyen: {Ceases her exercise noticing you at last.} "Ersun! Come to challenge me at last have you?" {grins}

    Ersun: {Shakes his head} "Of course not Lysen, I wouldn't stand a chance."

    Lsysen: {Chuckles} "You tried before though. I imagine at some point you will again. I didn't train you so you'd learn to give up so easily!"

    Ersun: "Fair enough. But if it's all the same to you I'd like to leave in as good of condition as I walked in."

    Lysen: "Nevermind then that's no fun!" {Grabs a towel from another servant and wipes at her forehead dabbing away the sweat.} "Rahul! Don't just stand there, bring us refreshments!" She says chidingly to the elderly servant who nods and moves away.

    Lysen gestures to a seating area within her garden where you both can relax. She tosses the towel she carried back at the servant she grabbed it from while a third starts to fan her after she takes a seat.

    Ersun: "If it's alright with you Lysen I'd like to talk to you about something important... in private."

    Lysen: "You mean you want me to send away my servant here? Then who will fan me Ersun, you?" {laugh's}

    Ersun: "Please just humor me this one time."

    Lysen: "Very well... begone servants!" She says with a flourish. The servants obey.

    Ersun: (Bluff Check: = 23) "I wanted to tell you that I'm leaving on a ranging. Not sure how long I will be gone, but it promises adventure and generous compensation. I wanted to let you know so you wouldn't wonder why I'll miss my lessons."

    Lysen: (Sense Motive Check: = 19, Fail) "I see, well you'll be fine. I trained you well."

    Ersun: "You've often said there's no substitute for experience."

    Lsyen: {Nods} "Quite right. But be careful what you wish for. You told your mother of course?"

    Ersun:
    "Yes, this time I did."

    Lysen: "Good, I don't want her hammering on my door again looking for you."

    Ersun: "She's always worried too much."

    Lsyen: {Smirks} "Mothers don't stop worrying about their sons after they're grown."

    Rahul returns with a platter of fruit and cheese and two pitchers. One of water, one of wine. Lysen waits for him to pour you both a glass and then she dismisses him.

    Lysen: "What's on your mind Ersun? I know you well enough to see you have more on your mind then just dropping by."

    Ersun: "If you don't mind Lysen I wanted to talk to you about your late husband."

    Lsyen: {Frowns} "I do mind actually... it's not something I like to speak about. It crosses the line of our teacher/student relationship."

    Ersun: "Don't you think of me more as a friend?"

    Lysen: "I do care for you Ersun, but friends are usually closer in age then we are and have more in common. More than being duskblade's at least."

    Ersun: "I think we do have more in common. We both lost someone."

    Lysen: "I lost my husband Ersun. I'm not trying to belittle your loss, but it's not the same thing."

    Ersun: {Takes a deep breath} "I've had a fear of Mind Flayers, otherwise known as Illithids, ever since that day. Because of that, I've kept my eyes and ears open. I heard rumors about Illithid mind-slaves in our midst. Your husband was a Warmage, I was wondering if he ever spoke of that?"

    Lysen: {Frowns} "Ersun... I know you might feel like you need to investigate these rumors. Because of what happened to you and because you don't want it to happen again to anyone else... but you need to be careful."

    Ersun: "I am trying to be careful, that's why I'm asking you for information. I trust you. Would you rather I go asking these questions somewhere else? Because if you refuse to answer them I will."

    Lysen: "Damnit Ersun... when did you decide you wanted to get yourself into so much trouble?"

    Ersun: "I'm not trying to be a hero Lysen. I just want to get even. Wouldn't you do anything to avenge your husband if you watched him die?"

    Lysen:
    {Takes a deep drink of her wine looking very unhappy} "My husband Morelo was on the council. He was in charge of foreign investigations..."

    [Ersun: What do you do?]




    Last edited by Narayan; 07-11-2014 at 02:03 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Purusartha's Pack

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauel
    With Jaio's success in the battle Sauel gave a little sigh of relief. One fewer thing to worry about. Jaio would have to forgive sauel for not applauding and congratulating Jaio at present; Although he would have liked to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauel

    Still Yorick had mentioned seeing a Wererat, meaning there was still one loose end they might have to deal with... But seeing Jaio facing a Vul and not a Were brought up questions and curious concerns. Did the wererat already run away like Kasha and her group when a Vul arrived? That seemed likely, but they had arrived now nearly half a minute later after Xaio had run away. There were still enough trees to hide behind as well, potentially it could be an ambush, but with a single Vul in the area Sauel had doubts about that.

    (Spots checks. Sauel: 15, Rabi: 9)

    If Sauel didn't spot the wererat he would pause and closed his eyes trying to sense any were's nearby beyond the four he was aware of. He probably would fail but it was worth a shot.

    (Detect/Survival: 30, -2 for blood ignored, -2 for near full moon ignored (they are both were's))


    You sense the presence of another were nearby and spot it approaching. It looks to be a wererat in hybrid-form. Probably the same one Yorick said he spotted earlier. It's moving towards you at a quick jog from the direction of the tannery.

    It isn't moving in an aggressive fashion, to the contrary it carries no weapons and keeps its hands open and in the air where you can see them. The rest of you spot it too as it moves into the nearby clearing where the other bodies are impaled by the Vulkyrie's javelins.

    Wererat: "Nooo! I failed to protect you!" It grunts and hisses from its rat-like snout, speaking to the bodies of the fallen as it kneels beside them. They appear to be three young Akhenaten juveniles, none older then fifteen years old.

    Jiao: {Stares at the wererat} "Should I kill that one as well?" He asks eagerly balling his fists up again.

    Purusartha: {Frowns} "No I don't think that one is a threat to us Jiao. In fact we might want to question him? In the meantime Jiao, since you are easily the biggest and strongest, could you carry this Vulkyrie for us? We are going to take it captive and give the Vulkyrie a taste of their own methods for a change!"

    Jiao: {Snorts} "But there are more out there! I want to keep fighting!"

    Purusartha: {Stares up at the large werebull with a look that broaches no argument} "We are DONE fighting for now Jiao. Rest assured you will have other opportunities to kill Vulkyrie, but we will attack them when it suites us, not when it suites them! The city-wide alarm has been raised, there are too many Vulkyrie looking for a fight right now, even for you!"

    Jiao huff's but goes along with Puru's request and lifts the fallen Vulkyrie in his arms as easily as a hound might carry a fallen pheasant in its mouth.

    Purusartha: -Speaks to Yorick- "Yorick, collect all the Vulkyrie's weapons. We can't afford to leave any evidence it was here!" -Speaks to Sauel in a lower voice- "Stay by my side Sauel and help me speak with this Wererat. If it won't come with us we'll have to chase it off or kill it. We can't afford to leave any witnesses to what's happened here."

    [Sauel: What do you do?]


  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hermiston
    Posts
    316
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Post Sauel

    Sauel could only wonder if Jaio and his love of battle would enjoy an arena life much like Yorick had suffered before recently being set free. Of course many times, freedom was an illusion.

    Sauel nods to Purusartha, and takes note of the young three teenagers. The Were-rat's attitude and coming to the area as well as staying in the area while the Vul was nearby made Sauel wonder. In the pack you had to obey those higher ranking than you, and most members weren't warriors although they had strength enough to kill a cow by punching it.

    Were they just moving from one end of the town to another? Seemed doubtful otherwise they'd do it during the day unless they were attacked. Smuggling? "Agreed, but I have a feeling we won't need to kill him..."

    Sauel moves closer and checks the youths, checking to see if they are still alive, and if so any that need immediate attention he uses his healing Kit to bind their wounds so they won't bleed to death; While checking on them he tries to determine if they are infected, natural born, or just non-weres.

    "What happened? And who are these kids?" Sauel asks the were trying not to make it sound like an interrogation. With Purusartha removing the Vul and any trace of him the kids too would likely have to move.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Budapest
    Age
    25
    Posts
    40
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Ersun

    He also takes a sip from the wine. It is a day of free drinks it seems, makes it feel like he is being toasted off onto his journey.

    „I’m sorry for forcing this Lysen. It could be indeed important, and I do trust you, which I think is mutual. I would be grateful for the details you’re willing to share.” He says and sits down somewhere plausible, as it is an easier conversation to do while sitting, and waits for her to continue.

    He wonders how much of a coincidence that her husband used to have Izel’s job. It shouldn’t hurt to dig into the circumstances of Morelo’s death either... He has a hunch there is more about the man than simple paranoia. It’s a shame he didn’t know anything of her husband before. Now he has to bring it up out of necessity and in such forced fashion.

    As much as he would like to know it all, he will have to be patient and mature, he really doesn’t want to ruin his relationship with Lysen, so he would rather talk it out than try to push her too much.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Burrai, Elloral

    Quote Originally Posted by Burrai
    Burrai sits on the ground, axe across his knees, and grunts.

    "As long as we've got that....artifact with us, trust is at a premium. Maybe he was sleeping a little too soundly, maybe they were on the lookout for a pair of dwarves arriving in Cabarda in the night. Maybe it was just the orcish ale." He stares out at the night. Elloral's observations were sharp, but suspicion often has a way of twisting the facts to meet fears. He nods to himself. "Depending on how things go with Jabbar, perhaps I'll seek out Rol. Alone. It could just be fear on his part - Sylornath knows the Black Network stirring would put any honest merchant on edge - it could be more. But we'll find out little before dawn, shy of going back there and proving more terrifying than anything from Skull Mountain."

    With that he falls silent. Someone once said, long ago, that most of soldiering is waiting, and experience hadn't show him any difference. With the dawn would come answers, through once source or another. But there were none here in the dark.
    The remaining hours of the night pass without incident though they bring you little rest. When dawns early glow emerges in the distance the crowd stirs like a kicked anthill. All the merchants' help busy themselves packing their respective camps. The pair of you have an easier time readying yourselves to enter the gates and thus find yourselves near the front of the line.

    Several guards take position over the gates holding crossbows joined by a pair of winged Vulkyrie before the gates finally open a crack with a great groan. A troop of a dozen mounted sheriff's rangers emerge before the gates quickly shut again with a loud boom. They break into a trot and start circling your crowd.

    After a few minutes of observation the rangers seem satisfied you're not actually an orcish war party and break formation, splitting up to search the crowd individually. You observe the sheriff's rangers up close and they seem quite experienced and professional. They are stern but polite, well trained to spot smugglers and criminals while also treating the legitimate merchants with respect.

    The rangers are efficient at their work. Several men are arrested before dawn breaks. Afterwards the rangers captain signals the gates to be opened for trade and the crowd starts to murmur and move forward kicking up a cloud of dust. The Sheriff's rangers enter the gates first moving to deliver their captured prisoners and confiscated goods to the town jail.

    Just then a boy appears and tugs on Ellorals robes. He hands her a scrap of parchment before bolting into the crowd again. Elloral reads the note and says.

    Elloral: "Rol sends us a message. He'll meet us at noon at the Twelve Apple Alehouse."

    As the gates swing open completely the crowd is funneled into a walled corridor with a matching set of gates at the other side. The inner gates remain closed for now, ensuring the crowd cannot completely breach the towns fortifications with a rush attack after the outer gates have opened. They let in about half of the crowd (which includes you and Elloral) before they shut the outer gates behind you. All the while of course, at least a dozen crossbows are trained on you from above on all sides... while the Vulkyrie stare down at you like hungry raptors.

    Once the outer gates are shut they open the inner gates. The usual guards are waiting to collect a fee for the privilege of doing business here. Merchants have to pay a lot more then mere travelers so the fee's at least appear to be fairly tiered. Both you and Elloral have to drop a pair of coppers into a bucket as you pass through the gates.

    You and the rest of the crowd emerge then into the west market of Cabarda. Before you the tallest structure in the town appears to be the Vulkyrie Tower, erected just behind the massive arena. The tower is approximately sixty feet high, though rumors say it is only home to approximately two dozen Vulkyrie.

    [What do you do?]

    Last edited by Narayan; 07-12-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: forgot to make mention of the Vulkyrie tower

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Purusartha's Pack

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauel
    Sauel moves closer and checks the youths, checking to see if they are still alive, and if so any that need immediate attention he uses his healing Kit to bind their wounds so they won't bleed to death; While checking on them he tries to determine if they are infected, natural born, or just non-weres.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauel

    "What happened? And who are these kids?" Sauel asks the were trying not to make it sound like an interrogation. With Purusartha removing the Vul and any trace of him the kids too would likely have to move.


    All the youth's are dead, pierced through completely by the Vulkyrie's other three javelins. Each of them are well dressed, even to the point of wearing jewelry.


    The wererat is also wearing rather expensive traditional Akhenaten silks, still largely intact despite its shift into hybrid form. On its belt is a curved dagger which looks largely decorative.

    Wererat: {Moans, saddened almost to the point of tears} -speaking gutteraly in hybrid form- "I was trying to get them to safety after the Vulkyrie's horns started blaring. They're my students... I'm a tutor, a private teacher. Their parents have no idea about ....this" {gestures to his hideous claws and furry muzzle}

    "The Vulkyrie hate were's I know this. I didn't intend to shift into this form but when I saw that Vulkyrie watching us my fear triggered it this close to the full moon."

    "The kids started screaming... I tried to reassure them I wouldn't hurt them and get them into hiding but it was too late. That winged monster killed them all without blinking an eye... and then he just perched up in that tree and waited for me to show myself again. It was hunting me... the same way you would lure an animal out of hiding if you hurt its cubs."

    {Looks up at Sauel and Purusartha pleadingly.} "Please I don't know what to do?! I'm not safe looking like this... I have nowhere to go."

    [Sauel: What do you do?]
    Last edited by Narayan; 07-12-2014 at 09:40 PM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Ersun, Lysen

    Quote Originally Posted by Ersun
    He also takes a sip from the wine. It is a day of free drinks it seems, makes it feel like he is being toasted off onto his journey.

    „I’m sorry for forcing this Lysen. It could be indeed important, and I do trust you, which I think is mutual. I would be grateful for the details you’re willing to share.” He says and sits down somewhere plausible, as it is an easier conversation to do while sitting, and waits for her to continue.

    He wonders how much of a coincidence that her husband used to have Izel’s job. It shouldn’t hurt to dig into the circumstances of Morelo’s death either... He has a hunch there is more about the man than simple paranoia. It’s a shame he didn’t know anything of her husband before. Now he has to bring it up out of necessity and in such forced fashion.

    As much as he would like to know it all, he will have to be patient and mature, he really doesn’t want to ruin his relationship with Lysen, so he would rather talk it out than try to push her too much.
    Lysen: "What's important is that you understand it's that same sort of paranoid curiosity that got my husband killed!" {sighs} "My husband was a good man, he wasn't afraid to put himself at risk for the sake of the tribe. The last time I saw him..." {her voice quavers} "...he was off to observe a trade meeting between our tribe and the Uskali tribe on neutral ground."

    "You think we're the only tribe to worry about Illithids? You think we're the worst off? Not at all! Other tribes have far worse encounters then we do... and some of those other tribes are also highly infiltrated..." {she pauses to let that knowledge sink in}

    "My husband suspected as much of the Uskali tribe. He wanted to go along as an observer on that trade meeting to help keep our merchants safe. I curse myself for not going with him but he said it was too dangerous. Of course I insisted but I had no control over his affairs. I pleaded with his friend and most trusted aide, Izel, to watch his back instead. He didn't for whatever reason, and now Izel is the Warmage Councillor for foreign investigations!" She says bitterly.

    "It's a dark world out there Ersun. Sometimes merely having suspicions is enough to get you killed. I don't know who to blame exactly for Morelo's death. The trade meeting was ambushed with serious losses for both tribes. Those that survived spoke of Morelo's heroism and selfless sacrifice to the very end..." {voice chokes up}

    "What bother's me the most is that I'll never understand why he did it? Why did he go when his gut warned him it was a trap? He never explained much to me, I think he wanted to spare me the worry. The only person he confided much in was Izel, but of course he's avoided me ever since Morelo's death. He knows how much I despise him!"

    [Ersun: What do you do?]

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hermiston
    Posts
    316
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Post Sauel

    (Sense Motive: 19)

    Sauel could only feel a hurt and pity for the wererat. If his story was true, then his life was over. What family would accept a teacher who ran from their children to remain unharmed (or that's how it would seem) or if they learned of him being a were, he could be turned in at any time to the authorities, the Vul, or both. Quite often those inflicted were the result of a survived attack, or were born with it. Likely this wererat had long since learned to keep his consciousness while shifted, but that didn't make it any less difficult to control especially so close to the full moon.

    For now the disappearance of the four of them would leave quite a few unsettled but have less of an impact from the night's activities than if they were disclosed. Perhaps if there was someone who could raise the dead could undo their deaths, but that seemed iffy at best. A platoon of troops killed by a single breath attack, from the dragon who beheaded Asher just earlier that night. It was becoming even more obvious he couldn't save very many people currently from the Vul.

    A problem coming to mind was scrying, quite in the forefront of his mind since they had the sorceress visitor. A rich enough family who's children (and teacher) suddenly went missing might try to find them via magic, and although they had temporary countermeasures via scrolls that wouldn't last long. The wererat likely could survive a lesser death and his body (affected by the curse) would just start up again. But it wasn't an option he wanted to take right at the start.

    Sauel looked to Purusartha. "He could come back with us for the night til he's human again... but I don't think more than that would be wise. Rich families might start scrying for him and their lost children. I don't think I can take another adventure until I've gotten a few hours of sleep, so risk leading him to an exit is iffy at best. We could blindfold him I don't think that would do much based on where we're going..." There couldn't be more than, what, four tanneries in the city?

    Bags of holding were very good at moving bodies it seemed... As it was about to have another three temporary residents once they got back to the tannery.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Antioch
    Age
    36
    Posts
    792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Purusartha's Pack

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauel
    (Sense Motive: 19)
    Purusartha: (Sense Motive Check: = 20)

    Neither of you sense any deception from the Wererat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauel
    -Sauel speaks to Purusartha- "He could come back with us for the night til he's human again... but I don't think more than that would be wise. Rich families might start scrying for him and their lost children. I don't think I can take another adventure until I've gotten a few hours of sleep, so risk leading him to an exit is iffy at best. We could blindfold him I don't think that would do much based on where we're going..."
    Purusartha: {pulls Sauel to the side to share some words out of earshot of the Wererat} "We'll take him back with us. He might have useful information, but we should leave the bodies. Let their parents join the ranks of all the others outraged against the Vul."

    {Moves back over to the Wererat's side} "We can shelter you, but you have to keep quiet and ask no questions. For your own good, understand?"

    Wererat: {Nods}

    Purusartha: {Rips a shred of cloth from his robes}(Bluff Check: = 18) "You'll have to wear a blindfold. No offense but we don't trust you yet."

    Wererat: (Sense Motive: = 5) "Ok." {Takes the cloth and blindfolds himself}

    Purusartha: {grabs a vial of something out of his robes, uncaps his waterskin and pours it in.} "What's your name?"

    Wererat: "My name is Yousef."

    Purusartha: "Yousef, we have a long walk ahead of us. We will keep you safe but you'll have to keep up. Here, have some water now to help keep your strength up." {places the waterskin in Yousef's hands.}

    Yousef does his best to drink from the waterskin but seems clumsy and unpracticed trying to pour it into his snout. Much of it spills, but enough makes it down his throat to have the desired effect.

    Yousef: (Fortitude Save vs. Poison, DC 20: = 9, Fail) "I am... ready... that water tastes... odd..." He says and promptly falls over, apparently unconscious. Moments later, his body reverts back to human form. He looks to be a weak, intellectual sort of man in his late twenties. Well groomed but very thin.

    Purusartha: "I wasn't sure that'd work... wererats can usually detect poison very easily and resist it very well. We're lucky this one seems completely ignorant of such things..." {Looks to Sauel} "Carry him, he'll be unconscious for a few hours at least."

    With the unconscious wererat and the vulkyrie in tow, Jiao and the three of you quickly move to the secret entrance to Wrusks cellar. Purusartha follows close behind sprinkling some sort of magic dust to hide your tracks. Especially the unnaturally large hoof-prints of the big werebull.

    Purusartha: {winks}
    "My own recipe. I didn't say I didn't learn anything as Moakh's apprentice."

    [Sauel: What do you do?]





    Last edited by Narayan; 07-13-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •