Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Crimson Blades: Dark Fantasy RPG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Crimson Lords is now out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, if I combined Crimson Blades and Crimson Lords and added some stuff, what would you want to see added?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Crimson Lords is now available on LULU

There's a 25% sale on till the end of the month with the code: TWODAY14 (in the UK - it may be different for US purchasers)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello! Just picked up the Crimson Blades and Woodland Warriors bundles from RPGnow. Really digging them. I had some questions about the sorcerer and didn't know where else to go, so I figured to ask the man himself.

The way I am understanding spell casting is this: a sorcerer/dendrelyssi may cast spells from their grimoire by reading the book and taking some time and/or cast a 'prepared' spell instantly from memory. They may prepare a certain number of spells of certain levels per day, based on character level - but otherwise I interpret this as allowing the sorcerer to cast as many spells from their grimoire as they want, given the time and peace to do it. (I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, I just wanted some clarification before I let my sorcerer player sit in the tavern all day slinging spells, for example.)

Also - are you supposed to roll Lore for all levels of spells, or just 1st level? If a character does come across a spell that is higher level than they may prepare, can they cast it? Write it into their spellbook?

Sorry if I am totally missing things or misinterpreting. I really dig the system and one of my players is always a magic-user, so I just want to make sure I'm getting the intent of the rules before we play.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wunduhbear View Post
    Hello! Just picked up the Crimson Blades and Woodland Warriors bundles from RPGnow. Really digging them. I had some questions about the sorcerer and didn't know where else to go, so I figured to ask the man himself.
    Hey, I'm glad you like 'em!

The way I am understanding spell casting is this: a sorcerer/dendrelyssi may cast spells from their grimoire by reading the book and taking some time and/or cast a 'prepared' spell instantly from memory. They may prepare a certain number of spells of certain levels per day, based on character level - but otherwise I interpret this as allowing the sorcerer to cast as many spells from their grimoire as they want, given the time and peace to do it. (I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, I just wanted some clarification before I let my sorcerer player sit in the tavern all day slinging spells, for example.)
    Yes, they can memorize spells and cast their memorized spells up to their level maximum. They can cast any number of spells if they use their Grimoire (it takes time to find the spell if in combat or whatever and of course there is the danger of damage to their Grimoire if they are attacked).

Also - are you supposed to roll Lore for all levels of spells, or just 1st level? If a character does come across a spell that is higher level than they may prepare, can they cast it? Write it into their spellbook?
    Lore rolls are made just at 1st level. After that they need to find any new spell they want to learn. As to casting spells of higher level than they can memorize...I'd say yes, because you (the GM) is in charge of what spells they find so if you let them find a higher level of spell you must have a reason for giving it to them. They can't memorize it though.

Sorry if I am totally missing things or misinterpreting. I really dig the system and one of my players is always a magic-user, so I just want to make sure I'm getting the intent of the rules before we play.

Thanks!
    No worries - I could probably have made it clearer in the rules - I will do so for the next re-write!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, wow! Same-day service. Thanks for clearing that up! I think I like it that way - makes spell selection a little less nail-biting.

Another question, and this one might be more about gaming outlook/philosophy than anything else, but ... How big of a change would it be to ignore the XP bonuses? How heavily would it influence the pace/feel/balance of the game? Mind, I feel balance takes a backseat to creative play any day, but again, just trying to get a handle on the system. CB and WW are the first I've been interested in that include XP bonuses, so I don't really know how they fall out in actual play. In fact, this might be a non-question, because I know I'll start as-is and see what happens.

Anyways. Mostly just wanted to say thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, wow! Same-day service. Thanks for clearing that up! I think I like it that way - makes spell selection a little less nail-biting.

Another question, and this one might be more about gaming outlook/philosophy than anything else, but ... How big of a change would it be to ignore the XP bonuses? How heavily would it influence the pace/feel/balance of the game? Mind, I feel balance takes a backseat to creative play any day, but again, just trying to get a handle on the system. CB and WW are the first I've been interested in that include XP bonuses, so I don't really know how they fall out in actual play. In fact, this might be a non-question, because I know I'll start as-is and see what happens.

Anyways. Mostly just wanted to say thanks again.
    It probably wouldn't matter a great deal...the only thing it really does is add more importance to two underutilized attributes - CHA and to a lesser degree WIS. Funnily enough, in the re-write I'm working on at the moment, I'm doing away with XP altogether. Instead levels are gained simply by completing adventures - so, after the first successful adventure, characters rise to 2nd level, then they need to complete 2 more adventures to get to third level and so on. What constitutes a completed adventure rests solely with the GM.
    Last edited by Simon W; 09-07-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good chance to pick up a print copy - LULU has a 25% sale at the moment: Use this code MATEY25

Downloads
    Uploads
    LULU has a new sale on

Through October 15, get 25% off all print books with code EATYOUREGGS

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to order it, but I don't have anything else on lulu to buy with it. Then again, you changed it up a bit, so I might just wait and get the pdfs via KS (since I'm not interested in a box set)
    The Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by urbwar View Post
    I want to order it, but I don't have anything else on lulu to buy with it. Then again, you changed it up a bit, so I might just wait and get the pdfs via KS (since I'm not interested in a box set)
    I'm not sure we're even doing pdfs at all. The kickstarter will be (if it happens) for a limited run of box sets and that's it.

However, mostly the pdfs are written and, because of the mix up before, if you PM me your email address, I'll send the pdfs so you can take a sneak peek at the pdfs as they are currently.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123