Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

5E what do you think? - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: 5E what do you think?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    A Rope IS too a weapon. Be Sneaky!
    I would ask a penny for my thoughts, but.... I don't have change...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes, i am aware of the third party products for pathfinder.

my issue is that that there is no first party support for psionics, which may be a meaningless distinction for some, but not for me.

it may sound weird, but i will only play games that support psionics within the context of the first party offerings.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, understand you completely, nijineko.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll try it, but I won't like it. Then I will then take to the internet my venomous butthurt rage and whine about how bad it is and declare over and over and over again that 4e is the greatest edition of D&D EVAR!!!!!!

Really though, I will try it if I like it, I will play it. If it sucks I won't play it and will continue to play games I do like.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What I like about pathfinder is the archetypes they use, Wotc likes to insert obscure races and classes where as Piazo stuck to doing the heroes and villains we all read about in fiction. I don't think they really fixed any major issues with 3e but they did fix a lot of minor stuff. So far I like the 5e rules better but every edition of dnd I though was better in the beta rules than the actual release.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not sure how long it has been since the thread was started but IMO it will be there best in a long time the have some great new mechanics. best of all they will release the basic set as a free PDF on July 3rd as well as the boxed starter set (not free) the basic pdf will cover character creation and will be added to over time as the other books get closer to their respective release dates. I have been DMing since way back and i have to tell you there is very little i dislike about it. the last playtest packet is more than enough to hit the ground running and adjust the rules accordingly. the only thing i was disappointed by was that psionics rules will not be released for awhile, however in the advanced books PHB, MM, DMG there will be rule adjustments where needed for other campaign worlds . There is so much news about the new edition i would be wrighting for hours. So have a look and see what you think.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eventhorizon View Post
    not sure how long it has been since the thread was started but IMO it will be there best in a long time the have some great new mechanics. best of all they will release the basic set as a free PDF on July 3rd as well as the boxed starter set (not free) the basic pdf will cover character creation and will be added to over time as the other books get closer to their respective release dates. I have been DMing since way back and i have to tell you there is very little i dislike about it. the last playtest packet is more than enough to hit the ground running and adjust the rules accordingly. the only thing i was disappointed by was that psionics rules will not be released for awhile, however in the advanced books PHB, MM, DMG there will be rule adjustments where needed for other campaign worlds . There is so much news about the new edition i would be wrighting for hours. So have a look and see what you think.
    I am hoping that they make Psionics core. It always feels like this thing that the developers never want to deal with like D&D's step child or something. But I love it and I know a lot of people like them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very interested based on what I'm hearing thus far. Didn't much participate in the play test, so I want to see the basic rules and the 3 core books. Currently I have Novus to scratch my old school fantasy romps. :-)
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been involved in the internal alpha playtest. I have not been paid by WotC to work on anything 5e, so take that for what it's worth when I say I really enjoy the game.

You can take a simple character built from the basic set and firmly place them into a more advanced version of the game (when the DMG comes out). I really dig that a lot. It plays into my philosophy of game design nicely (make things easy, and then build on that).

Also, something complete missing from 4e, you tend to look at the situation first, then decide how to resolve the conflict--rather than look at your character sheet first, and then decide. Does that make sense?
    Matt James
    Lead Developer, Vorpal Games
    Follow me on Twitter

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like gaming so I will probably buy it and play it. and maybe even run it

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will get the Starter Set and at least give it a good going over. Being 'OLD'school I am hoping that basic game is back more being more like the early versions (up to 1E).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very excited about this edition. I read all the playtest material but never really got a chance to play. But from what I've read and heard from other people it makes me excited to game like I was when I first started with 3.5.

I've actually preordered the Starter Set and 3 core books and can't wait for them to come out!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan on purchasing the core books (PH/DMG/MM) really more out of curiosity than anything else at this point. As I have done with most of my 4e collection, I purchased them in keeping with my collecting role playing games. I haven't been keeping up with the play testing, despite my invitation I could never really find the time to play and provide feedback. More than anything else I'm disappointed that they are staggering the release of each of the core books by a month.

So it's a wait and see approach for me on this edition.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is assured." -Mark Twain

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I'll wait and see, if it flows as nice as the playtesting that Kaewin did it should be a very interesting system.
    Last edited by Thorn; 07-31-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    Elves keep their counsel and sharpen their ears.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    4-month update: well, lots of the facts are out now. I have to say, the similarities between 5E and my homebrew (was an open design process) are a little creepy. But 5E has a shining point: it looks to be 3E minus the large bonuses. AND 5E has invested in character backgrounds, all but forcing PCs to actually have backgrounds. It's about time.

Matt James - any chance you can elaborate on the "look at situation first, not character" aspect? It sounds interesting.