Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Gaming

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Family Gaming

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Back in the day it used to be us guys and maybe a girlfriend or two that would game.

In this time, now that we're old, most of us are married and some of us have kids. So when the games happen, the whole family comes so the kids can play in another room while we (husbands/wives/significant others)try to relive our role-playing glory days in the other room.

I was wondering, how many of us on this thing actually make it a family event?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My daughter will turn 8 in Nov., which is when I always said I'd start teaching her to play. My wife is utterly disinterested in RPG's.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Fortunately my wife participates, but is not overly enthusiastic. The core of our group is three couples.

When we meet, it's not just for D&D.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, my brother is more interested in cars and stuff, and I don't have any other family members with whom RP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My brother used to play. I'm still single. So no family gaming for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nobody in my family games, and frankly I prefer it that way. That way there's none of that "omfg... How come you didn't save my character?! I thought you loved me?" crude going on... ::rolls eyes::
    "If you are flamable and have legs you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedburg

"If you find you are falling into madness -- dive." -Malkavian Proverb

Swords don't need reloading... that's why I am a melee fan .

Downloads
    Uploads
    My girlfriend kept bringing up RPGs for awhile when I told her that I play them, asking questions and what-not. I think she secretly wanted me to teach her how to play. I am very stand-offish when it comes to trying to get the girl I am seeing into playing because I feel like I am forcing it on them and then they are just too self-conscious about it and get all embarrassed and don't want to play and kind of causes a rift.

But I think I am going to offer to run a D&D (or Star Wars) game for her and her 11 year old daughter.

Wish me luck!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    My girlfriend kept bringing up RPGs for awhile when I told her that I play them, asking questions and what-not. I think she secretly wanted me to teach her how to play. I am very stand-offish when it comes to trying to get the girl I am seeing into playing because I feel like I am forcing it on them and then they are just too self-conscious about it and get all embarrassed and don't want to play and kind of causes a rift.

But I think I am going to offer to run a D&D (or Star Wars) game for her and her 11 year old daughter.

Wish me luck!
    Good luck, and you sound like a very good boyfriend. I'll never forget how stupid I felt when I first started playing with my boyfriend at the time :cringe: I learned that day never to play with a bf and his friend... it never works out well in the end, sometimes it stinks being the only girl gamer in a group
    "If you are flamable and have legs you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedburg

"If you find you are falling into madness -- dive." -Malkavian Proverb

Swords don't need reloading... that's why I am a melee fan .

Downloads
    Uploads
    She replied, thanks but no thanks but she is interested in it.

Whatever the heck THAT means!

Needless to say I will never bring it up again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
    My daughter will turn 8 in Nov., which is when I always said I'd start teaching her to play. My wife is utterly disinterested in RPG's.

I am right there with you. I want to teach my twins when they get older. Too bad my wife has no interest in RPGs.

Wish me luck!
    I wish you the best of luck! You are a brave man. Running you girlfriend and her 11 Y/o Daughter can be very interesting.

Ouch! Sorry about the bad news.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had a few girlfriends that play, but I was always more inclined to date girls who aren't interested in stuff like that. And if they discovered my secret hobby, and were interested, bonus!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only asked her because she kept asking questions about it, so...

Its all good though!

Downloads
    Uploads

gaming families

Luckily, my gf is a role-player, but I once ahd a wife who had absolutely no interest in playing. Sometimes, we have families come over, but the house is big enough where the kids can play and we can game with very few interruptions.

I did once belong to a group with a couple that had 3 kids... there were interruptions - dinner, burping, chasing and reclothing the 2 yr old who decided to remove all clothing and streak through the house, bedtimes, tantrums over who got what toy, etc. However, I was friends with the 2 of them since high school, so we all took it in stride. Plus, once the kids went to bed, we could game with no interruptions, so it all worked out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    Luckily, my gf is a role-player, but I once ahd a wife who had absolutely no interest in playing. Sometimes, we have families come over, but the house is big enough where the kids can play and we can game with very few interruptions.

I did once belong to a group with a couple that had 3 kids... there were interruptions - dinner, burping, chasing and reclothing the 2 yr old who decided to remove all clothing and streak through the house, bedtimes, tantrums over who got what toy, etc. However, I was friends with the 2 of them since high school, so we all took it in stride. Plus, once the kids went to bed, we could game with no interruptions, so it all worked out.
    Unfortunately children can sometime prove challenging. But once they get grown enough to play themselves the can be a lot of fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My oldest two are girls (22 and 15) with no interest in gaming. My youngest two are boys (7 and 3) who I have no doubt will game. The boys love dragons, sword fighting, and all sorts of similar things.

I have encountered 3 sets of father son teams that game. It can cause an odd dynamic at times. I frequently see the fathers feeling embarrassed by the sons actions. While I would just dismiss it without another thought, it can create tension when the father reprimands the youngster.

I only ever tried to bring one girlfriend into gaming. It caused all sorts of fights when she didn't get preferential treatment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast