Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Family Gaming

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waxahachie
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,498
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Family Gaming

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Back in the day it used to be us guys and maybe a girlfriend or two that would game.

    In this time, now that we're old, most of us are married and some of us have kids. So when the games happen, the whole family comes so the kids can play in another room while we (husbands/wives/significant others)try to relive our role-playing glory days in the other room.

    I was wondering, how many of us on this thing actually make it a family event?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Altavista
    Age
    43
    Posts
    700
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My daughter will turn 8 in Nov., which is when I always said I'd start teaching her to play. My wife is utterly disinterested in RPG's.

  3. #3
    Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Fortunately my wife participates, but is not overly enthusiastic. The core of our group is three couples.

    When we meet, it's not just for D&D.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Well, my brother is more interested in cars and stuff, and I don't have any other family members with whom RP.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wantagh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    229
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My brother used to play. I'm still single. So no family gaming for me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    147
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Nobody in my family games, and frankly I prefer it that way. That way there's none of that "omfg... How come you didn't save my character?! I thought you loved me?" crude going on... ::rolls eyes::
    "If you are flamable and have legs you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedburg

    "If you find you are falling into madness -- dive." -Malkavian Proverb

    Swords don't need reloading... that's why I am a melee fan .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My girlfriend kept bringing up RPGs for awhile when I told her that I play them, asking questions and what-not. I think she secretly wanted me to teach her how to play. I am very stand-offish when it comes to trying to get the girl I am seeing into playing because I feel like I am forcing it on them and then they are just too self-conscious about it and get all embarrassed and don't want to play and kind of causes a rift.

    But I think I am going to offer to run a D&D (or Star Wars) game for her and her 11 year old daughter.

    Wish me luck!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

    "It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    147
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    My girlfriend kept bringing up RPGs for awhile when I told her that I play them, asking questions and what-not. I think she secretly wanted me to teach her how to play. I am very stand-offish when it comes to trying to get the girl I am seeing into playing because I feel like I am forcing it on them and then they are just too self-conscious about it and get all embarrassed and don't want to play and kind of causes a rift.

    But I think I am going to offer to run a D&D (or Star Wars) game for her and her 11 year old daughter.

    Wish me luck!
    Good luck, and you sound like a very good boyfriend. I'll never forget how stupid I felt when I first started playing with my boyfriend at the time :cringe: I learned that day never to play with a bf and his friend... it never works out well in the end, sometimes it stinks being the only girl gamer in a group
    "If you are flamable and have legs you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedburg

    "If you find you are falling into madness -- dive." -Malkavian Proverb

    Swords don't need reloading... that's why I am a melee fan .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    She replied, thanks but no thanks but she is interested in it.

    Whatever the heck THAT means!

    Needless to say I will never bring it up again.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

    "It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Jonesville
    Posts
    82
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
    My daughter will turn 8 in Nov., which is when I always said I'd start teaching her to play. My wife is utterly disinterested in RPG's.

    I am right there with you. I want to teach my twins when they get older. Too bad my wife has no interest in RPGs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    My girlfriend kept bringing up RPGs for awhile when I told her that I play them, asking questions and what-not. I think she secretly wanted me to teach her how to play. I am very stand-offish when it comes to trying to get the girl I am seeing into playing because I feel like I am forcing it on them and then they are just too self-conscious about it and get all embarrassed and don't want to play and kind of causes a rift.

    But I think I am going to offer to run a D&D (or Star Wars) game for her and her 11 year old daughter.

    Wish me luck!
    I wish you the best of luck! You are a brave man. Running you girlfriend and her 11 Y/o Daughter can be very interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    She replied, thanks but no thanks but she is interested in it.

    Whatever the heck THAT means!

    Needless to say I will never bring it up again.
    Ouch! Sorry about the bad news.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waxahachie
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,498
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    She replied, thanks but no thanks but she is interested in it.

    Whatever the heck THAT means!

    Needless to say I will never bring it up again.
    I've had a few girlfriends that play, but I was always more inclined to date girls who aren't interested in stuff like that. And if they discovered my secret hobby, and were interested, bonus!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I only asked her because she kept asking questions about it, so...

    Its all good though!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

    "It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    gaming families

    Luckily, my gf is a role-player, but I once ahd a wife who had absolutely no interest in playing. Sometimes, we have families come over, but the house is big enough where the kids can play and we can game with very few interruptions.

    I did once belong to a group with a couple that had 3 kids... there were interruptions - dinner, burping, chasing and reclothing the 2 yr old who decided to remove all clothing and streak through the house, bedtimes, tantrums over who got what toy, etc. However, I was friends with the 2 of them since high school, so we all took it in stride. Plus, once the kids went to bed, we could game with no interruptions, so it all worked out.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Jonesville
    Posts
    82
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    Luckily, my gf is a role-player, but I once ahd a wife who had absolutely no interest in playing. Sometimes, we have families come over, but the house is big enough where the kids can play and we can game with very few interruptions.

    I did once belong to a group with a couple that had 3 kids... there were interruptions - dinner, burping, chasing and reclothing the 2 yr old who decided to remove all clothing and streak through the house, bedtimes, tantrums over who got what toy, etc. However, I was friends with the 2 of them since high school, so we all took it in stride. Plus, once the kids went to bed, we could game with no interruptions, so it all worked out.
    Unfortunately children can sometime prove challenging. But once they get grown enough to play themselves the can be a lot of fun.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    1,420
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My oldest two are girls (22 and 15) with no interest in gaming. My youngest two are boys (7 and 3) who I have no doubt will game. The boys love dragons, sword fighting, and all sorts of similar things.

    I have encountered 3 sets of father son teams that game. It can cause an odd dynamic at times. I frequently see the fathers feeling embarrassed by the sons actions. While I would just dismiss it without another thought, it can create tension when the father reprimands the youngster.

    I only ever tried to bring one girlfriend into gaming. It caused all sorts of fights when she didn't get preferential treatment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Remote Gaming
    By Farcaster in forum General RPG / Industry Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM
  2. Gaming in Rio
    By Lisandro in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 07:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •