Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Traveler 5th ed... help?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Traveler 5th ed... help?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Traveler 5th ed... help?

So I heard Traveler 5 came out via the grapevine and it was an old-school RPG. I figured I'm an old-school gamer, shouldn't be a problem! After all, I colored the numbers in on my first set of polyhedrals with a wax crayon and was able to figure out AD&D when the books all had orange spines. I always heard about this game called Traveler from Dragon Magazine and all the old RPG rags of the day; but I could never find any place selling it; which meant Waldenbooks didn't carry it and neither did the guy I knew selling AD&D books and minis out of his basement. Still, I thought a game where the players were the crew of a starship on planet-hopping adventures would be pretty cool and always wanted to play it.

So, I picked up the massive textbook-size core book off Noble Knight and figured I'd learn the system and maybe see if any of my players would bite at the chance to play a space game in the general theme of Firefly or Star Wars (minus the hokey religions and magic tricks)... OMG guys, I'm completely lost. I think I'm 80 pages into it and my mind went numb looking at the 10 or so pages of dice probability tables. So far, the only thoughts I'm having are "I'm not nerdy enough for this game... and I'm a professional engineer". How do you and where do you even start? Is this game written with the preconception "everyone who buys this will have played the original Traveler and thus, know the system"?

I mean, I've played a LOT of tabletop RPGs over the last 30 some years and I've never come across anything like this! Usually I can start putting a character together and dreaming up encounters and campaign ideas within the first 20 pages of the main book. I remember D&D 3rd ed... in 3 pages of the Player's Handbook, it went: "Welcome to D&D! This is basically what fantasy and D&D is. This is dice notation. Let's make a character! These are the 6 abilities..."

Is there a quick-reference for this beast anywhere? A "So, you want to play Traveler?" type brochure? In the next couple days, I'm planning to skip forward 20-30 pages to the character creation area and see if things even begin to make sense but wow. I'm flabbergasted.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ever build a vehicle in car wars, or gurps? ^^

i'm pretty sure there is a quickstart out there somewhere, but i'm not recalling... maybe some google searches.

here is a google search i tried that seems to have some promising results, mostly reviews.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    ever build a vehicle in car wars, or gurps? ^^

i'm pretty sure there is a quickstart out there somewhere, but i'm not recalling... maybe some google searches.

here is a google search i tried that seems to have some promising results, mostly reviews.
    LOL! I'd have to say, building a vehicle in car wars is no where near the same as building one in gurps! :-)
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Frobozz,
    If you still need help. I'm willing to walk you thru the system in G+ hangouts or Skype.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Loved Traveller back in the day, I've always been a space geek Stick with it, it's a game well worth learning!