Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monte Cook's World of Darkness

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was just wondering if anyone has given MCWOD game a try? I find the Magic Mechanics to be very good. Probly the best I have seen for a D20 gave. On a personal note I never did care how Wizards has always done there's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still haven't bought it. I looked at the local game shop, but hate to pay full price. I think I'll have to look for used on ebay or amazon. I definitely look forward to getting it.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads

World of Darkness needed 'tight' players

Quote Originally Posted by Rain_Spider_08 View Post
    I agree, that would be difficult... most WoD fans usually have their "favorite game of all" and the others just aren't for them... That and all of the different games (werewolf, vampire, promethean, changeling, and mage) are predisposed to each other in some form.
    To me Game Mechanics and world of Darkness used to be a contradiction in term. I love reading those books, GURPs version, WhiteWolf Versions, Mage: The Acension but they were often unworkable without people willing to narrate, self-edit their narrations, narrate the storytellers bit, edit the storyteller even though they weren't the story teller and edit each others work.

They were very classy high-concept games that were almost unplayable if you hadn't played role-playing games in our systems with the same people. I'd love to see Monte-Cooks version though.
    Last edited by Jonathan Kwiat; 02-24-2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: lost a markup tag

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't seen Monte Cook's World of Darkness. However, I recently watched Kurt Wiegel's podcast review of it, and I very intrigued by the setting concept behind it.

I had just assumed it was a straight d20 revision of White Wolf Studio's NWoD game, but it seems that the premise is very different indeed. There is an intrusion spot in North America somewhere, and the U.S. military has the area quarantined off. Vampires and werewolfs are entities from another plane of existance who have inhabited humans.

I guess I am going to have to put this on my list of games to pick up used when I get a chance.

BTW, if you haven't seen the Game Geeks podcast RPG reviews I suggest you check them out. They are cool little shorts where the host Kurt Wiegel discusses various RPGs and supplements. His latest was #48 for Burning Empires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQvS...eature=related

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Kwiat View Post
    To me Game Mechanics and world of Darkness used to be a contradiction in term. I love reading those books, GURPs version, WhiteWolf Versions, Mage: The Acension but they were often unworkable without people willing to narrate, self-edit their narrations, narrate the storytellers bit, edit the storyteller even though they weren't the story teller and edit each others work.

They were very classy high-concept games that were almost unplayable if you hadn't played role-playing games in our systems with the same people. I'd love to see Monte-Cooks version though.
    I think I disagree, but I'm not sure I understand what your saying.

I feel oWOD & nWOD have been some of the simplest and easiest game to teach to non-roleplayers, providing the GM has had some experience in the past with rpgs. I wouldn't recommend for a first time GM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a way calling it "World of Darkness" is almost a fraud. It seems like using the name and fame and derail it for a complete different type of roleplaying. If you're looking for a super hero game with crazy powers I think there's a lot of choice already, isn't there ? I suppose the real justification of this product is to appeal to players that used WoD for power gaming : this way there's no feeling of shame when you talk about your super ninja metuselah garou mummy and her crazy gipsy ghoul in her catwoman suit with other players.

I know, I know there's no wrong way to enjoy RPG, still it sounds like an insult...
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    this way there's no feeling of shame when you talk about your super ninja metuselah garou mummy and her crazy gipsy ghoul in her catwoman suit with other players.
    LOL.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    In a way calling it "World of Darkness" is almost a fraud. It seems like using the name and fame and derail it for a complete different type of roleplaying. If you're looking for a super hero game with crazy powers I think there's a lot of choice already, isn't there ? I suppose the real justification of this product is to appeal to players that used WoD for power gaming : this way there's no feeling of shame when you talk about your super ninja metuselah garou mummy and her crazy gipsy ghoul in her catwoman suit with other players.

I know, I know there's no wrong way to enjoy RPG, still it sounds like an insult...
    I can't disagree with you. This book is a power gamers wet dream. I mean isn't that what white wolf all about a vampire terrorizing a town, or a pack of werewolves taking territory? These are big, strong and scary monsters to the average Joe. With that said, your trully saying is what wolfs products are toned down abit, and Mote Cooks version is turned up a bit. I thought it was Cooks job for conversion into the D20. I'm not saying D20 perfect or anything. Hey, I play other systems, but I thought he did great job with the conversion. I bet he even knew that it would be a one shot deal so he decided that lets do it my way and change the world abit, by having an intrusion. Yes you don't like it and I do ,but here's what GM's love to do, if you don't like it change what you don't like. I perfer to call them touchups more or less. The only thing I do love the most out of the book is the Magic system. I wish Wizards had the origional thought of creating there magic like MCWOD. Hey it just makes sense

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I am interested in hearing why MCWoD is a power gamers wet dream. Could someone please elaborate on this?

How does the power level compare to 3.5 D&D?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well...I think it's overpowered my self, but everyone R.C.C is in a way which balance itself out. I don't have the book infront of me nor have I picked it up in awhile. I do know this if you tried to uses any of the classes/ R.C.C's in any other 3.5 game they would unbalance the game. Due to context the world is in monsters fighting monsters Demons, Werewolves, and vampires and other odd sorts getting into the mix. It's also designed to be player friendly, like you don't have to have to prestige into anything wich I think it's a great idea and all but I do love some prestiges. Skills are more available to charcter to design wich way a peron wants to go. So you can make that super ninja metuselah garou mummy if you wanted to, but I do know this not everyone are what they started out to be in charcter, or out of charcter. So if you like Vamps and Garou's battling it out for superiority with a demon behind the scenes pulling on some strings I think you would like this game, but I wouldn't use it in a 3.5 game personaly, but if I did I would have to tone somethings down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So can you play mortals, or is it only vampires, werewolves, and demons that are player characters?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you can there called the awakened and the Mage. The awakened are what there called they have awakened to the fact that the world seems a little off, and soon discover that there campfire stories are becoming true. Then you have the Mages human but more attuned to the supernatural forces some for good and some bad. Then there are the straights as I like to say. The ones who go threw there daily live totally oblivious to all supernatural forces and contribute disappearances and murders to kidnappings and serial killers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Love the magic system!! But comming from games like M&M and Star Wars Saga, it seems long in the tooth with their skills! Does D&D even have "Use Rope" as a skill anymore??

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman Virtue View Post
    Does D&D even have "Use Rope" as a skill anymore??
    Last time I checked...yes it does!

But anywho, I've been interested in MCWoD since I first heard Kurt Wiegel review it, but it's d20-based so I've been decidedly steering clear of it. That and the fact that most of the game books that Monte Cook publishes tend to be heinously expensive.

My 2 cents...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I like the setting, for sure. A city of your choice (if you like) is decimated when otherdimensional entities try to take over completely the World of Darkness reality. Somehow earth is kept from being scrapped altogether by the Awakened (basically mortals who hold reality together subconciously). You can play: vampires, werewolves, mages, demons, or awakened. They were meant to be used by the Iconnu (the dimensional raiders themselves) to destroy the awakened. Some of these supernatural beings managed to keep their sentience, so they do what they want (not what the Iconnu want, necessarily).
    I guess the temptation would be for characters to carve up kingdoms of their own far away from the Iconnu breach, which could also be fun (if played out right).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123