Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monte Cook's World of Darkness

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I think technically that would be a new McRapper.....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its a very different game than White Wolfs. I think Kurt can explain it better than I can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQvS...eature=related

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post

-Yes, I'm a total bully. I was that kid on the playground who took your lunch money, gave you swirlees, and made you eat worms.
    Wow! When i finally worked up the courage and pushed you off that huge snow hill when you weren't looking i had know idea that you would end up as a fellow gamer, or fantasy moderator for that matter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar View Post
    I use to play Old WoD Mage, and it was clear to me that you need a really good Game Master and a really Good Plot to get characters from each of the games (Vampire, Werewolf, etc) to interact with each other as a team. I still don't see how Monte Cook is going to accomplish that.
    I like the atmosphere of the old Wod stuff so much its hard to think of switching up to the new much less switching over to a different system. I really liked what Monte cook did with the Arcana unearthed stuff though so i might give it a look.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many thanks for the link MortonStromgal

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, very informative link.

I think it could be just what the doctor ordered. I know many D20 players who don't want to even try other systems because they are too comfortable where they are. If you can get them up and walking, each step gets progressively easier. Once you show somebody that the setting is cool and everybody that plays it isn't a whacked out socially inept larp fiend, then maybe the system can be changed without as much fuss. While in my experience most gamers are rather high functioning and open minded, there are still many misconceptions and biases due to ignorance of 'other' games
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i was 'raised' in gaming with the experience of jumping from system to system. so i'm very comfortable trying other systems, or at least studying them to see if i want to play them.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like the direction Monte took with this product. Obviously White Wolf wouldn't let him rip the system off perfectly but with what he was given, however much slack that was, I think he did quite well. It sounds awesome and it got rave reviews over at RPG.net.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I do like the direction. Different to an extent, but not bad. As I said, 95% of players I know are entrenched D20 players who wouldn't consider switching. My last modern/future campaign, I tricked the players into it by telling them that it was a D&D game at the onset. (3 out of 5 loved it, the other two did whine a little) I have frequently thought other games and systems could be quite good, if only any players would give it a chance.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    interesting. i wonder if it'll turn out anything like ravenloft. i don't know if i'll go for it in any case, it's the theology and cosmology more than mechanics that turn me off of that setting anyhow. doesn't seem to likely to change regardless of which systems the concept uses.

the one time i made a character for a world of darkness setting, i was so bugged, that i named the character "Yamini Hikari"; loosely translated that means "a light in the darkness", which reflects something of my attitude towards the whole setting.

(surprised that i made a character? don't be, seeing how the character generation system works is part of testing a game for playability. ^^)
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    that i named the character "Yamini Hikari"; loosely translated that means "a light in the darkness"
    My sons name translated similarly to that

Downloads
    Uploads
    My gods, why hast thou forsaken me! Is there not enough darkness and evil in this world... The horror of Mulsiphix 2: electric bugaloo is more than I can bear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    My gods, why hast thou forsaken me! Is there not enough darkness and evil in this world... The horror of Mulsiphix 2: electric bugaloo is more than I can bear.
    I shall cast fear into the farthest reaches and depths of your soul rabkala. The son I speak of is my.... SECOND SON!!! THERE IS A FIRST!!! His name is Amon. In Egyptian times there were many gods. These many gods all had to answer to the eight primordial gods. The eight primordial gods had to answer to the creator of the primordial gods, the GOD of Gods of gods, AMON!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    interesting that that resembles one of the original judaeo-christian names for god dating from about 5000-6000 years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never played any WW but do like the setting for MCWOD, and yes I'm more of a d 20 player myself. Personally I think it rates as one of Monte Cook's best. As for play testing it I can't say that I have. Most of my group is still stuck in fantasy land. Plus it's a little hard to find another group usually a conflict of work and hours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast