Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: [Numenera] Has anyone read the Numenera rules/played any yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

[Numenera] Has anyone read the Numenera rules/played any yet?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hello all!

I just bought the big Numenera book and I was wondering who else has interest in the game. Has anyone read the rules yet? Has anyone played yet? Thoughts?
    -Will-

Downloads
    Uploads
    As of 9-5-13, I am reading through the book, and am about halfway through. I like some of the gazette, read the character creation but don't fully understand it yet, and i've noticed at first glance that there PC's only get to "level 6", but there is some level 7 and higher monsters...scary!
    -Will-

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Read Player's Guide and Numenera Core. (I'll be running a game this Saturday at Gunslinger Games in Dallas.) And you're right, the "level 6" thing is a bit odd, but it is really more of a Tier 6 with 4 stages per Tier, which in my mind translates into 24 Levels. Also, this game claims to be able to easily accommodate mixed tier characters, but I'd have to play to know for sure.

A level 7 monster requires a roll of 21 on a d20 to smack, not possible without mods, assets, skills, or effort. Then there's level 8, 9, and 10 monsters. Multiply the monster's level by three and that's your target number to hit the monster and target number to defend against its attacks. Oh, and on top of that, you can't roll higher than a d20+2.

It's great that GM's don't roll dice, but it will take some getting used to this in practice.
    Last edited by ronpyatt; 09-12-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added link to location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still digesting the main book myself! It looks great, and i'm excited that Bruce Cordell just joined Monte Cook's crew. By the way, I was under the impression that the Player book doesn't have new material from the main book, it's is just cheaper and doesn't have the GM bits. This is true?

-Will-

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, the material from the Player's Guide is in the core book. I got the the Player's Guide first and read it, and then found out while reading the core book that the player's guide material was in it. So, if you have the core you don't really need the player's guide except as an easy reference or to pass around to players.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to know! How did playing Numenera go?

-Will-

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Our Numenera game didn't happen. Two players had to miss the game, throwing our timing off. We'll reschedule. I'd like to play it a little before I try to build a campaign with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bah! Why must real life spoil game time!

-Will-

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just recently bought the corebook myself and have started reading through it. I'm fascinated by the incredibly simple rules that still remain flavorful and exciting. I'm also very pleased that I don't really see anything in the alternate race rules or bestiary that is basically the Numenéra version of elves, dwarves, orcs, etc. The whole setting seems to have a very unique feel (I haven't gotten to the main setting section yet but I can't wait). Small math is good math for heavy roleplay focused groups! Our group has so many games running, I don't know when we'll get around to trying it, but it's the game I'm most excited about trying right now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Real life has been putting a snag in my gaming of late as well- but I hope to play/run Numenera soon.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was checking out the site for this system. it looks like a really interesting setting/system/RP. If i wasnt so busy, i would pick this up rigt now. It is moving up on my queue of games to learn for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello all! I wanted to post an update- it's a two months later and i've only seen one Numenera book that wasn't mine! I've digested most of the book (I haven't read through the adventures yet), and i'm starting to build a BRP game using Numenera as a campaign setting.

Has anyone else manged to acquire the book/read through it/actually play it or hear of anyone playing it yet? It seems a shame such a cool system isn't in use!

-Will-