Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings from La Center of Nowhere...

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
    But this method requires me to put effort (eww, work!) into these people. I'm lucky if I get to put effort into what I actually want to do.
    Ha! To each their own. Some people will read a hundred books on Forgotten Realms, others will read a hundred on history.

Right now I am reading Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics by Martinus Veltman. And this is for enjoyment!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. Right now, I'm reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Warped Passages by Lisa Randall, Kant and the Platypus by Umberto Eco.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Sounds like interesting stuff. I started reading Lisa Randall but needed to reinforce my background in the basics, so that's why I picked up Veltman's book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a huge fan of Eco's work, especially his essay collections. Travels in Hyperreality is awesome! On the other hand, Snow Crash is the first Neal Stephenson novel I've read.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    The Platypus book looked interesting, the way it deals with perception. I may pick that one up, it's a subject that interests me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah... Snow Crash....

A Neil Stephenson novel is to me, like a good hit is to a crack-head (or so I assume, having never had a hit of any kind or ever been a crack-head). A friend lent me Cryptonomicon many years ago and it was quickly became one of my favorite books. Snow Crash is great, and the Baroque Cycle is fun taken in moderate doses (overloading is not advised in that case). I love the digressions, the characters that are so utterly weird yet make sense, and the way the seemingly unrelated plot-lines weave together.

The Baroque Cycle would be a great inspiration for a swashbuckling campaign. The ten oarsmen conspirators is a great way to bring together widely varied characters. If memory serves, they had a English Rogue, a French barman, a French Huguenot, a Russian harpooner, a displaced Samurai, a Turkish coffee merchant, an Arab nomad, a Jewish Financier, and two others who slip my mind at present. "Why is the party together? We were chained to the same set of oars on a pirate galley. We are still together because we have a grand Plan!" Good times!

In Reply to PhishStyx about trying new games, I am open minded about it, but I do not have an unlimited budget for books.
    If you eat a live toad first thing in the morning nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Snow Crash is giving me major notions about what I could do with a Shadowrun campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherMonica View Post
    In Reply to PhishStyx about trying new games, I am open minded about it, but I do not have an unlimited budget for books.
    Luckily, the game I have in mind is a free PDF.

http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/index.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Ooh... a link....

Looks interesting. I will have to download it when I'm on my home computer.

Is this the same game the Dragonmama was talking about?
    If you eat a live toad first thing in the morning nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks interesting. I will have to download it when I'm on my home computer.

Is this the same game the Dragonmama was talking about?
    Yep. You can play all sorts of mystical, horror, and horror-adventure types. Dragonmamma played a psychic cat, we've had Vampyre Necromancer (sort of a psychologist for ghosts but with "oomph"), wizards, wicce, True Immortals, mystical martial artists, all sorts of folks.

What we really need right now is a wizardly type.
    Last edited by PhishStyx; 07-06-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do other libraries out there have role playing books? And how many of you have actually bothered to check?
    I once donated some roleplaying books to a library, does that count for anything
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads

oooh... a wizardly type?

Quote Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
    What we really need right now is a wizardly type.
    ooooh! A caster? I've wanted to play a proper caster for the longest time! Even when I played Mage I ended up being the go-to science and medic chick. I will take a good look.

and Farcaster, Good for you!
    Last edited by TheOtherMonica; 07-07-2007 at 01:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ooooh! A caster? I've wanted to play a proper caster for the longest time! Even when I played Mage I ended up being the go-to science and medic chick. I will take a good look.
    I'm hoping that we'll get to play again on the 20th if you decide you like what you see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me know what you think of the game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12