Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the Second: Into the Darkness - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the Second: Into the Darkness

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    First I check the stream to see if it's water and then check to see if its drinkable, no doubt some of the monkeys are thirsty by now, I know I am. Clean water would also be good to clean up a little, especially burns, cuts and scratches from earlier. Then I look around to see what else I can see besides the obvious. I ask the Monkeys, the best I can in their language style, to help me figure something out. I still was not understanding what was going on, what is this place and why would humans build something like this... was this built by humans? Where are the humans, I know I've seen sad remnants of them but not actually a living soul just a lot of constructs. Am I supposed to destroy this place some how or is this just something on the way to what I'm supposed to do next? During my search I notice a lot of things are climbable so I attempt to climb them and see what happens, or what appears, I also look for structural weakness, can things be knocked over, bent, etc.. Maybe I'll be lucky and find a secret doorway out of here.

    * Climb check *


    * Search Check *


    HP 44/48

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    10-15-2013 02:05 AM
    Climb check: 1d20 (16)+ 1 (1) = 17
    Search Check: 1d20 (13)+ 10 (10) = 23

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    The water is somewhat metallic, and has a faint aftertaste of mold, but is cold and drinkable. It is amazing how much better you feel being able to wash up even a little bit. The pool appears that it might be deep enough to swim in. The rock around the stream has a cross-hatch pattern in it, which would make it easier to walk, if it were not for the moss and slime.

    Your explorations provide many puzzling details. The rock of the walls, the bed of the stream, have various textures and patterns, but are all the same material. Even the 'trees' prove to be made of the same grey stuff, though with a wood-looking pattern and texture. They are not very high, but one of them gets you almost to the elevation of the wall across the ravine, but there is not much to be seen.

    The chains and tori appear to be some sort of swings, though looking inside the hollow of each grey and tattered torus you see some have holes, while others hold some water - green, stagnant, and foul smelling - something you discover when one of the chains collapses when touched, dumping the torus and contents onto the ground. For once, you manage to avoid getting splashed.

    The ravine has a low wall in front of it, enough to prevent accidental falling in, but it is quite the drop down. The stream falls down into it, runs along and disappears into a culvert of some sort, made of the same rock-like material as the rest and formed into a grid to prevent large things from getting in. The outer wall is fairly high, but you can see up close the remains of a metal railing, completely rusted. The top of the wall would give a splendid view of the entire area you are in.

    The lower openings in the 'mountain' seem to be simple tunnels which provide a bit of shelter, and not much else, being nothing but a half-loop opening onto the large area at both ends. You discover at least two areas where the 'rock' sounds thin and hollow, and indeed, there are outlines of a door-like shape visible. They must be fastened from the other side, however, as neither will move.

    There is one opening further up, that will require a bit of climbing to get to, that you have not yet explored.

    The monkeys at first seemed to be frightened, standing clustered together as they made soft hoots and other small noises and looking everywhere. After they washed up, however, they all formed into a square, with a few holes where some either evaded capture or were killed. The spokesmonkey then proceeded to lead them in what almost looked like a religious ceremony of some kind, with rhythmic call-and-answer chanting and synchronized swaying and bowing. They finish up about the time you have explored most of the area, excluding the upper most opening in the 'mountain'.

    It is still challenging to convert things to poetry and back again, but you when you go over it in your head, you seem to get the following points out of it all:


    • This is an ancient place.
    • Many bad things happened here.
    • This place has something to do with all the talking animals.
    • The monkeys have some sort of associated guilt with this place and/or the events that happened here. (This is more your intuition based on how they seem to weasel around answering and look away when you ask certain questions.)
    • You are expected to accomplish something.
    • The something expected of you seems to be fixing something, undoing something, and/or destroying something... maybe even some combination of the three.
    • Whatever the something is, it can only be done by a human. Lucky you.
    • You should stay away from the fox, as he was up to no good.
    • The monkeys are extremely superstitious and fearful about this place, if it wasn't for you agreeing to assist them, they wouldn't / shouldn't even be here.
    • That apparently has to do with some ancient prophecy about a human doing the something-whatever. Oh so lucky you.
    • There is someone they want you to meet.
    • That someone should be here, but obviously isn't right now. For some reason, they seem confident that the someone is not dead, despite being very, very, old.
    • Haiku-speaking monkey ninjas are frustrating as all get out.


    Thinking about all of this threatens to give you a headache.
    Last edited by nijineko; 10-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I clean up as best I can with the water from the pool, that includes washing my hair and tending to the burns at the back of my neck. Instead of doing my hair up as it had been though I decide to just put it in a couple simple braids. They're not perfect but they're far more functional then the style I had before and also less likely to get caught up in things. I watch the monkeys in their square while I braid my hair then go about my searching of the area. This place certainly was strange. Everything was made from the strange rock stuff and made the place seem cold. Why go through all the trouble to make fake trees? Why not just have real ones? Using the chains for any sort of escape proves pointless when one of them breaks so easily from my touch. I wrinkle my nose at the foul smelling water and move on to search something else.

    The question and answer session might threaten a headache but it was also informative. As for whatever link to this place the monkeys have that appeared to be causing them guilt and discomfort I choose not to make a deal of it. What was done was done and I was in no position to judge. I was just going to make sure to do my best to complete whatever task I had to and hopefully give these creatures some sense of closure, or whatever they were looking for, and then get out of here. Also since it seemed we were apparently waiting for someone I feel less panicked to get us out of here and decide to see what I could do to fix my dress, what was left of it anyway, instead, thank goodness for many layers. Clean, hair in a more functional style and dress as fixed as it can get I decide to check out that last high point on the 'mountain'.

    * Climb Check *


    [[I didn't get far with that roll]]

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    10-15-2013 03:45 PM
    Climb Check: 1d20 (3)+ 1 (1) = 4

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Attempting to reach the higher place proves difficult, between crumbling surfaces and dead plant growth alternately breaking away, or proving to be quite slippery, you are not managing to reach the ledge in front of the opening.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I attempt to make my climb a little easier by removing what plant growth and crumbling stuff I can reach before trying again.

    * Second climb check attempt *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    10-17-2013 03:07 PM
    Second climb check attempt: 1d20 (11)+ 1 (1) = 12

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    You are able to reach the top this time, with only a few more slips. There is a bit of ledge in front of the opening, which projects out somewhat, darkening the interior of the cave. There is a slightly cool breeze against your face, and an acrid smell, which reminds you partly of the constructs you have encountered and partly of salt. This opening goes back into the "mountain" and curves, blocking you from seeing very far inside.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Before I climb inside I throw a piece of rubble inside to see if anything strange happens and if nothing does then I climb inside, provided I fit, and see what I can see.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    The chunk bounces around a bit inside, raising echoes. After the echoes die a bit, and when nothing happens, you walk inside. The low roof comes near to brushing your head making you wan to hunch over. You notice that even the inside seems to be shaped to resemble a cave, but it is too regular, the curves too perfect to be real. As you round the bend, an odd smell becomes noticeable something like old sweat combined with the peculiar tang of the constructs. You come to the end of the cave. A crack in the wall allows some light to enter. There is sleeping area of sorts, a pile of dried and broken grass-like stuff, next to which is a curved row of small rocks with interesting shapes, deliberately placed. There is a faint puff of chill air coming from somewhere, but not from the light-crack.

    Other than the signs of habitation, the cave is empty.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I wrinkle my nose at the smell for a second then move on. Since there seems to be nothing else of interest in the cave I walk over to the crack in the wall where light is coming from and look through the crack to see what was on the other side.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    You cross over to the crack. On your way, you feel a distinct puff of cool air coming from the wall on your right. The crack spreads across a small part of the wall horizontally, and is a bit high for you, but with some scrambling and pulling yourself up, you can see that it looks out over the area outside. You are able to see that there is a standing area ringing the edge of the outer wall with remnants of metal posts still protruding like broken teeth on the other side of the ravine, which you were not able to see before due to the angle from down below.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I make a mental note of what I see then move on from the crack and go in search of the source of cool air.

    * Search Check *


    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    11-01-2013 07:20 PM
    Search Check: 1d20 (3)+ 10 (10) = 13

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    You follow the puffs of air, and find a cleverly disguised door, though up close it is obvious - especially since it seems to be propped open slightly with a small oddly shaped rock... in fact, from the portion you can see, it looks a lot like the little rocks in the curved row near the sleeping area. The air is cold, dry, and has an unwholesome effluvium. The door looks like it would open by pushing on it.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I listen for anything on the other side of the door first before pushing it open and looking through.

    * Listen check *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    11-04-2013 09:12 PM
    Listen check: 1d20 (3)+ 2 (2) = 5

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    You do not hear anything of noteworthiness. The door proves to be very heavy, but with much effort and pushing you are able to get it open. It won't stay open, however, and you have to wedge yourself into the opening to enable yourself to see beyond. You have some concern about the stone getting crushed or squirted out of position should you let the door just fall back into place.

    What you see is a short, dark corridor which joins to a cross corridor in a "T" intersection. There is dim blue strips along the floors which give a wan light. Your short part seems to be made of the same rock-like material as the 'mountain' and 'cave', but the cross corridor looks more like a dark metal to you.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I decide to not worry about the rock and slip through the door. I haven't moved it and it's held the door for this long so I'm not too worried. I decide that if it does end up shut I'll just have to find another way out.

    I think the floor lighting is neat but push aside my curiosity of that and make my way down the short hall. When I get to the end I carefully peek out into the next hall and try to listen for anything unusual, provided I don't see anything right away. I try to be as quiet as I can.

    * Listen Check *



    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    11-06-2013 04:34 PM
    Listen Check: 1d20 (2)+ 2 (2) = 4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •