Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Old School Star Wars

Downloads
    Uploads

Old School Star Wars

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Who misses the old d6 version of Star Wars?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't remember it very well. I only played it once or twice. I do remember that it was extremely easy to go over to the darkside and loose a character. (What's a few darkside points amongst friends?)
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember it as if it was yesterday...

Oh wait, thats cause I was skimming one of the old books yesterday.

No. I do not miss it. It was fun and action packed and crazy.

The best thing about it was that it was basically a power gamers dream come true. The things you could do in that came were insane. For instance: my relatively low-level bounty hunter murdered Bossk. Bossk! A feared bounty hunter in his own right and here I was, green as can be, and not only did I kill him, I shot off one of his legs and critically shot him like 4 other times.

Yeesh!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    not only did I kill him, I shot off one of his legs and critically shot him like 4 other times.
    LOL! I'm definitely fuzzy on the system particulars. I remember it being a d6 system akin to the Cyberpunk system of the day. Was that result because of a crit chart or because their health levels were very limited?

I bet you're character earned a little respect that day though. I mean, I'm just imagining your character walking into the the bar, a pit of skum and villainy, finding the baddest guy in the place and shooting his leg off. That's gotta get you something.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't remember very well. I just remember that Bossk was trying to kill me and then wham-o! I was initially freaked out, I mean, come on its Bossk!

Not to mention the Jedi in that game. Geeze! Forget about it! It was waaaaay too much! Even if they only had like 6 dice in the alter skill they were uber. It seemed like that was the magic number, 6 dice. Six dice in any skill and you were a bad as*. More than one skill with 6 dice and look out!

It was fun though. You know, being able to do WHATEVER you wanted and only restricted by the super uber bad guys the GM had to make up to TRY and take you down a notch and then you just mop the floor with them.

Balanced is NOT what that game was/is. The lower levels weren't so bad but once you got past that six dice point it flew out the window!

Good times indeed!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsmoker View Post
    Who misses the old d6 version of Star Wars?
    I miss it. That was a great game and a great system and they put a lot of pride into that game.
    The RPG Lounge- An Online Gaming Community

Site: http://www.therpglounge.com
    Forums: http://www.therpglounge.com/forums/

Come join our growing Gamer Community!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never played it, but I kinda miss the d20 one as it's been over a year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved the WEG Star Wars. At the time, I was dead-set against tactical RPGs, so I really dug the flexibility the system gave, the emphasis on heroic action, etc. Sure, it was not exactly a balanced system, not in today's terms, but it was internally consistent: the player characters were usually balanced against each other, rather than against some objective, external measure. Sure, your Jedi with 6d+1 alter might have been able to injure/kill anything that came along, but chances are you'd need your smuggler pal's 6d+1 piloting roll to get away from the Imperial blockade. As in any game, when it's run well, every pc has the chance to play to his or her particular strengths.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heheh, Star Wars WEG D6 style was the bomb. I'm actually still running a campaign for it. As Tremayne says, there was potential for power leveling. I think it depends a lot on how the GM runs things. I say a good GM can keep things sane when its starting to get crazy.

With the Bossk example, he might have had a great reputation, but but maybe your character happened to have been designed in a way that made him even better... As a brand new starting character, you can get a specialized skill at up to 7D, or more if your race's max allows the base attribute at above 4D.
    The role of a good GM would come into play with how smartly he plays Bossk. Did Bossk remember to bring any buddies? If he's the one thats after you, did he act like a good bounty hunter and come up with a good plan to trap you or did he under estimate you and bite off more than he could chew like Greedo?
    As far as the system goes, did Bossk remember to spend character pts to boost his strength roll to resist damage when you hit him? Did he remember he might have had a force pt or two that he could have used to double all of his skills and attributes that round?
    There's a lot of things I can think of that might have made that encounter go closer to how you might have expected it to. A lot of it depends on the skill of the GM though.
    The thing I like best about the old school D6 star wars though was the flexibility. You can make any kind of character you want as long as it makes sense with the GM. There's no rigid classes that restrict what you can learn when you "level up". The whole concept of classes and levels in an RPG takes away from the realism of it IMHO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always assumed that WEG's d6 system is the same as their Star Wars d6 system; does anyone know if this assumption is correct? Back in the day (early 90's) my friends and I liked the Star Wars system so well we adapted it to different settings: my friend ran a fantasy game, I ran a pulp adventure/mystery game, and yet another converted Robotech to d6. The system really fit our style at the time, since we were more focused on cinematics and dramatics than strategy or tactics.
    Your pal,

Adam Bomb

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmuszkiewicz View Post
    I've always assumed that WEG's d6 system is the same as their Star Wars d6 system; does anyone know if this assumption is correct?
    I believe that's the case. In fact, one of the complaints about WEG's d6 Space was that it was Star Wars without the actual Star Wars content.

EDIT: Here's the complaint in question, embedded in an RPG.NET review.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 08-03-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting that you adapted the WEG d6 system to Robotech, ajmuszkiewicz... From using the system for space battles a few times, I always thought it was more suited the way the action was portrayed Robotech than star wars, because if you were skilled enough and had a good ship, you could potentially shoot down a dozon enemy ships in a single turn. Much more representitive of Robotech style action than starwars.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not exactly sure how our d6 Robotech worked (this was probably 15 years ago or so), but it was really fun. I've really got to say that yes, seeing horde of Zentraedi battle pods being shot to pieces before blowing up against the backdrop of thousands of laser blasts searing past was very well represented by the d6 mechanism. Simply split up your dice pool and mow those bastards down. But, battle pods were just as disposable as the standard TIE fighter. To me, the system worked equally well for just about any genre as long as you wanted to portray it cinematically rather than realistically.
    Your pal,

Adam Bomb

Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly! The multi-action rules really favor having high skill levels. In a way, increasing your skill by 1D is almost like doubling your skill, because now you can take two actions with just as much chance of success as before. Throw in force points to double your skill levels for a turn and you can pretty much shoot at least once at everything in range.

Since the first few times I noticed that trend, I've learned a few things to help tone down the kill rate so that the space action feels more like star wars, (space dog fights and stuff). Probably most importantly I started to better visualize positioning and take into account things like fire arcs and line of sight. So from this, I was better able to describe the action and illustrate to players that not all of the TIE fighters or whatever were in range or in the right angle of attack to be hit at the same time etc.

I also started thinking about the enemy's tactics a lot more. Instead of just 1 defense and 1 attack every round, I might have the ones that were being shot at concentrate completely on defense, and then let the ones who were in a different fire arc that weren't receiving fire try to shoot at the players.

I also reminded myself that TIE pilots are supposed to be among the best trained in the galaxy at the time, so if the players ran into them, it should be a tough fight. So instead of rolling with 4D for their skills, I'd give the TIE pilots 6D usually, and then take into account that some might be better than others and give a few rolls at 6D+1, and 6D+2 or even 7D for maybe the top aces in the squadron. If you remember to throw in the maneuverability and fire control bonuses from TIE fighters on the rolls, that will actually make them really tough adversaries for even pretty skilled players.

Haha, I guess that all sounds like common sense now right? I wasn't that smart when I first got started so don't laugh

Finally, for the players with really high skills, I also started to take into account that if they're flying something like a stock light freighter, they'll have no good way to know if they're being shot at by someone they can't see visually. So I figure the TIE pilots (being the best in the galaxy, after rogue squadron of course) will know what the best blind spots are and send some of their guys to go for positioning behind and slightly below the player's ship, so its hard for the player pilot to see where the fire is coming from, but some of the TIEs have a big target. So from this I can give the TIEs a few hits that the player had a big penalty to defend against.