Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Catechism of Konigsdottir: Chapter the Second: When it Rains.... - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 91

Thread: Catechism of Konigsdottir: Chapter the Second: When it Rains....

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    532
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Rilde can't be sure, but she feels that perhaps she needs to focus her thoughts. She attempts to focus, concentrate and speak calmly, only in her head. "Is...this...more...clear?" In case it's relevant:
    * Concentration check *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-21-2013 10:23 PM
    Concentration check: 1d20 (20)+ 10 (10) = 30

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    The mermaid glances aside, a quick flick of the eyes, seeing you know not what. She smiles again, "That apoun quite good. No akwre onat projection. The reception onarfgn paoisn onos itself over iuna asou uoas to ouabsub each other. Unare me show you." She reaches out and seems to touch something. Several pictures appear before her, floating in the air, a mildly confusing mass of colors and motion and patterns. She touches several pictures in rapid succession, causing changes to occur each time. She grabs one picture and pulls it up and away from the rest, making it bigger, and turning it to face you. You are not sure what you are looking at, but the picture has two halves, the upper has a calming flow of cool colors moving away from an oval mass of squiggles contained inside smooth bands, while the lower half has the same colors moving towards a similar oval but breaking up into a mess of flashing red symbols and orange symbols. She says some more things, but stops when she sees the incomprehension on your face. She taps her chin with a shapely finger a few times, then points to the upper half and slowly says, "Speaking aair me." Pointing to the lower half, she says, "Hearing me."
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    532
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rilde shrugs and both concentrates on and touches the upper half (if possible--not clear if it's physical or not). She speaks out loud: "I am Rilde Konigsdottir." Then she says the same thing in her head. After that she touches and focuses on the lower half and waits for an answer.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Attempting to touch it yields nothing but the faintest of tingling sensations as your fingers pass through. Positioning your fingers appropriately, you note the top half pulses more vigorously as you speak and as you think. Her welcoming answer, still sporadically broken up, is matched by similar pulses in the lower half. As you are paying close attention, you are confident that the symbols pulse and proliferate in time with her fading out of your senses, though the picture fades along with her as well, making it a bit tricky. With a rueful cant to her smile, she gestures towards San-ji and Ran-po, "In time anoe nionl heal." With a swift series of touches, the pictures dwindle to points of light and then disappear.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    532
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    She summarizes what just happened to the two goblinoids. "I begin to understand some of what she's telling me, but it's still unclear. She gestured towards both of you and said, 'In time anoe nionl heal', although I think that's my lack of understanding. I will continue to talk with her. In the meantime, I still wish to view the ship." She does both of the above, continuing to concentrate on the mermaid when she has a spare moment and touring the ship thoroughly.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    The pair seem delighted that you can communicate with Wave's Foam, and even see her; apparently not all Ship's Ladies are equal. They assure you that in time things should become more clear. Your tour of the ship is very thorough. It seems that before long you will be adding sailor to your list of abilities. By the end of your tour, it is clear that you have a lot of studying to do. Each post has numerous tasks associated with it, and there are a surprising number of posts on the ship. It is much like a little village. During your tour, you discover that all the texts are written in a Goblinoid tongue of an unfamiliar mode. The mermaid also accompanies you, flitting in and out of view, and even occasionally pointing out something to you that needs adjusting or cleaning. You note that your 'landing spot' has already been straightened up. You also discover the ship's previous port, current heading, and intended destination while reviewing the charts in navigation.

    It appears that you are on a large inland sea, mostly landlocked, though there are a lengthy series of straights leading out into the southern ocean. The most recent port was an island in the eastern portion of the sea, on the southwest side of which is a location marked as the City of Stars. Your destination is given as one Home Harbor, on the northern side of the far west shore of the inner sea, and Wave's Foam is making a fairly straight course directly towards it.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    532
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rilde will spend whatever time is available talking with the mermaid, learning about the ship, and trying to understand the context of everything she's dealing with. Questions (asked as convenient): What are Home Harbor and the City of Stars? What kinds of beings inhabit them both? Is this area all one country, or several? And some obvious questions she's been too distracted to ask: Are there any other humans here? If so, where are they? For that matter, what about your standard races (dwarf, elf, gnome, halfling, half-orc, etc.)? In a larger sense, what is her/their purpose here? She's now the Ship's Lady of Wave's Foam, which she enjoys, but what is the purpose of the ship? Trade? Warfare? Diplomacy? Communication? Any or all of the above? {Sorry for the barrage of questions; it will probably take a while for you to answer.}

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    {{{if there is nothing else specific that you wish to do or accomplish in the short term, other than get your questions answered, the journey will take a few weeks, between wind and oar. (if there is something, please specify.) over that duration of time it would be assumed that you are studying the language, texts, knots, ship-lore, and sailing, as well as joining your crew in the twice daily workout/combat training sessions. you will also find that as time passes, the communication between you and Wave's Foam is improving. A few items of notable strangeness: one, your bunk is a simple slab of wood, though of an unusual kind, with no padding and only a single blanket - despite this, you are quite comfortable on it; two, you seem to be learning the language, including writing, with astonishing rapidity, and your memory seems to be much sharper than before; some aspects of the language seem oddly familiar, but it is not enough to trigger a recollection of what it reminds you of; the charts also bother you for some reason, they don't look exactly familiar, but there is something about them....

    As to your questions:

    • Home Harbor is their main enclave in this part of the world. They appear to be a semi-nomadic people, with Ships and ships being associated with families and clans as well as organizations. It is the gathering place where they meet every five years, and exchange news, goods, and bloodlines. It not only serves as a safe harbor, shipyard, and capital city, it is also a massive faire, bazaar, matchmaking hotspot, and olympic competition.
    • The City of Stars is the name of the sole city of a strange and independent island nation with peculiar notions of progress and rule. Most of the People avoid them, fearing that they will lose Crew to the beguiling notions that they espouse, but due to "cough-certain-cough-reasons", this Ship made their last stop for trade there.
    • The inner sea (referred to as the "Naval of the World" in the language of the Crew) borders many lands, some claimed, some not.
    • They puzzle over your race-names, but descriptions of racial characteristics yields that they have heard of and/or interacted with (you're not quite sure) dwarves, elves, and humans of some kind. Halflings seem a maybe, but they are clueless about half-orcs. They also list off a barrage of race-names and descriptions which completely lose you, though some sound vaguely like certain monstrous races, unknown kinds of humanoids, or animals.
    • The main purpose in general seems to be trade, though there are elements of combat in some descriptions, particularly regarding the upcoming Gathering. Securing new and lucrative trade routes also figures largely in the wistful sharing of various crew members.
    • Additional information: Though the crew is loathe to speak of it leaking only hints and allusions, after a long series of frustratingly vague avoidances, a direct approach to Wave's Foam (after your perception ability improves enough,) pieces together most what the Crew was trying to avoid telling you: It seems that the ruling council for this people is comprised of representatives of those who do well in the upcoming Gathering, who then establish certain policies and practices for the next five years. (As an interesting historical side note, it seems that these Gatherings and contests long ago replaced a raider-pirate sort of existence alluded to previously in the story of that one Lady you were told.)

      Wave's Foam is on the brink of being decommissioned, due to not having someone in your position for a certain length of time, despite some moderately successful trade runs. The fact that certain contests can only be participated in by someone in your position hampers the Crew's ability to score well enough to either save themselves or gain enough influence. Apparently, it is a fairly recent practice of certain families to act in concert to squash or forcibly incorporate independents and weaker Ships, ships, families, and groups into their holdings and control; and it is this by which she is threatened.

      It seems that Wave's Foam is one of the oldest Ships still functional and in active service, which has its own special prestige. It is also apparent that neither her nor the crew wish to be owned by any of these families, having successfully avoided numerous offers, enticements, and outright hostile takeovers. This is even further complicated by Ran-po's potential romance, which was also previously alluded to, who herself is a ranking member (a soon-to-retire Ship's Lady no less) of one such powerful conglomerate. Wave's Foam's precarious position and the accruing disfavor of various powerful and influential have dissuaded female crewmembers from joining (while not quite matriarchal, women occupy a special and biased position in this society).

      Wave's Foam is furthermore an old-fashioned Ship, being much more martial in orientation, which mode and fashion is no longer popular, but happens to suit you very well, indeed. She has a long memory, remarkably intact, and knows many things that only her or certain older ships might know. }}}
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    532
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rilde has more questions. Who are the people trying to take over Wave's Foam? How can they be challenged? Are there perhaps duels involved, friendly or otherwise? Are they considered business rivals or sworn enemies? In either case, can we expect trouble--either covert (subtle sabotage, getting crew drunk/distracted/whatever, bureaucratic obstacles) or overt (attacks on Wave's Foam)? And what can we do about it? If a good showing in various games is important, then by Kord we'd better do well in them! (Perhaps that's why the combat, etc. drills, which she heartily approves of.) She's still thinking in terms of fighting, of course, but being aware of the uncertain local feelings about it, she tries to avoid suggestions like "Which opponents do we kill to solve this problem?"

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    {{{There have been a number of offers, most of which were from minor Families. You gather from your studies and talks while working with the Crew that the government consists of about five major families, and between two and three times as many minor families - a number of which border on being considered major themselves. Each family brings what it can spare to the Gathering. The success of each family is measured by a combination of what it donates to the gatherings, what each family can earn during the gathering, and a number of votes that each person possesses which are apparently split among the entire population using some complicated method that completely passes over your head - except for the part about winning contests.

    There is one vote per person, but there are also a fixed number of special votes, and winners of contests gain titles, each title thus won controls an associated number of votes. The rarity, value, usefulness, and largess of the offerings (donated and sold) is also taken into account. The final tallies determine in some fashion how much influence, represented by seats on various councils, any given family has over the various areas of authority. As each council oversees a different aspect, this yields a complicated political structure which is very difficult to win a dominating position in. There are apparently rules preventing more than certain percentages of control over any given council by a given family.

    It rather brings to mind a vision of what would happen if all the jarls back in your homeland could potentially jockey for the highest position, and if there was a large number of highest positions. It sounds extremely chaotic.

    The main point amidst all the complicated explanations that sticks with you is that Wave's Foam and the Crew have been doing rather successfully at trade, which has won them almost enough profit. However, at each of the past three Gatherings, the limit has been raised bit by bit, which has started edging out the poorer and less successful independents and even some family ships. This limit, incidentally, is the averaged cost of outfitting and repairs for ships, which is done at each Gathering without charge to the Ships and ships benefiting, but in return each must show a profit matching or exceeding that limit or risk being considered in social debt, thereby open to being acquired by others, or being decommissioned if no one is willing (or able) to take on the burden and commitment. This being in social debt is only tolerated for so long before a Ship or ship is forcibly docked until acquisition, decommissioning, or somehow the debt is dealt with.

    Wave's Foam is somewhat independent, which is why they have not joined any of the recent Consortiums of lesser families and independents attempting to win influence in the Councils, and thus lower the limit again; though apparently, the major Families are thus far successfully waging a polite if bitter war against losing influence to said consortiums. Her success thus far has prevented any acquisition attempts and enabled her to continue to refuse offers, but with the latest changes to the limit, and to the policies of challenge, she may no longer be able to legally retain her independence.

    The rub is the new policies of challenge (spoken of with many dark looks and muttering) seem to be specifically aimed at borderline Ships and ships such as Wave's Foam. It adapts the policy of challenging crew-people deemed unfit, unworthy, or of lesser ability for their position, adding caveats that permits a Ship's Lady to challenge another Ship's Lady on grounds of insufficient profitability now being considered "unfit and unworthy". The stipulation of it only being allowed to a Ship's Lady gives a large advantage to those who are bound to Ships, as opposed to those who merely helm ships, which has enabled a number of recent acquisitions, supposedly for the "good of the whole", but with losing Crews and crews frequently finding themselves supplanted by the nepotistic tendencies of the winning Families over time. It also "incidentally" prevents Crews and crews without a Ship's Lady from defending themselves against the challenge of acquisition... unless they can find a capable Ship's Lady within the allotted time. And even if they do somehow manage to find one who is not warned or scared off, the usual response to a challenge is a trial in the aspect thus challenged. And with profitability being challenged, a trade run of both ships along the same route is the standard challenge, which the Family then pours in resources that the challenged cannot match to ensure a victory.

    While Ran-po hopes that his ongoing relationship with the object of his affections will provide them with a new Ship's Lady, as there are rumors that she is about to step down from her current position in favor of a new likely prospect of her Family, San-ji privately confides his fears to you - carefully hidden from Ran-po out of consideration for his feelings - that she may seek just such an acquisition in Wave's Foam... and her family is one which has been part and parcel of the limit hikes, and the new policy. San-ji has even managed to speak with some former Crew and crew who where "ashored", even discovering that there is a secret payoff being given to "ashored" Crew and crew to keep their mouths shut till after the next gathering. San-ji feels that if they can present eminently successful trade runs on routes thus acquired as proof-of-concept, that they can make the new policy stick, even tighten it more, despite any protests by the majority. After all, winning enough titles can tilt the balance enough to outweigh the general vote.

    Wave's Foam is aware of San-ji's thoughts, and seems to harbor fears that his view is too shallow yet, and makes it quite clear that she would not tolerate a Ship's Lady unsuitable to her preferences - which in her view can only end in her decommissioning, being stripped for parts, and being dry-docked in the Hall of Ships forever more. She further mentions specifically to you, that while such challenges are normally in the area of expertise challenged, tradition dating back to the original Lady clearly preserves the right to a non-lethal trial by combat, one of the caveats instituted by the Lady and her Followers to encourage adherence to the Way from the warlike tribes of yore. This is where you come in, or so hopes Wave's Foam. She is literally staking her livelihood, and from what you understand her literal existence as it currently is, on you and your abilities.


    Wave's Foam is of a distinct military bent, something which appears to be increasingly rare according to what you are gathering, something which hails back to a past that she avoids speaking the details of. You get the distinct impression that she has some sort of long laid plan, and is walking a difficult and dangerous path, all towards a goal which she does not even let a hint of drop. As such, she fully expects trouble of all possible sorts up to and including espionage and sabotage and red tape - though she hopes to catch them all off-guard with you as her Ship's Lady. One thing she does mention is that your position, indeed all positions, did not originally belong to any one gender or even race, and that Laws older than even the Way yet still in force should prevent them from denying you any rights as a Ship's Lady. This is something which apparently few, if any, of the People know, thought the wording of the original Texts supports it. You also get an incidental impression that she does not care much for the newer Ships, as she mutters vehemently against them as much as any old geezer complaining about the newest generation might.

    From your studies of the Texts, you realize that practically all forms of lethal combat are philosophically forbidden, except in strict self-defense against a repeated aggressor. From the watered down versions in the Texts, supplemented by docudramas from what are apparently actual memories of the times in questions by Wave's Foam (which you find much more entertaining and engrossing than the versions you are reading, but just how old is Wave's Foam, really?) it appears that the Lady and her Followers did serious amounts of butt-kicking and brow-beating to get their points across. Almost all non-lethally to boot, which was deliberately designed as a way of proving the superior skills, ways, and means of the new Way. From this you get a clear impression that while there is no particular issue with fighting per se, killing would not aid you or Wave Foam.}}}
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    532
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    At some convenient point, Rilde talks to Ran-po. "You mentioned that your ladymight become a Ship's Lady. Assuming she does so, would her ship be allied with Wave's Foam and your clan? Or would you and Wave's Foam become part of her clan? I'm not clear about the relationship." {She is explicitly not mentioning the possibility that Wave's Foam herself might be the lady's desired new ship.}

    She also tries to clarify, with both Ran-po and San-ji, the effect of Wave's Foam having a good trade run. So if Wave's Foam is profitable enough, and has a Ship's Lady, that would stop a hostile takeover?


    Finally, she tries to clarify with Wave's Foam: What is the point of the trial-by-combat? Is the point to prevent an unsuitable Ship's Lady from being foisted on her, or to prevent a hostile economic takeover, or both? Who would fight in it? Is it a single combat, Rilde (presumably) against a designated champion, or some sort of ship-to-ship or crew-to-crew conflict? Also, who among the crew is aware of the ancient trial-by-combat rules? Until Rilde is sure about all this, she keeps the idea of trial-by-combat to herself, not telling the crew.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    From Ran-po you learn that his interest is the blossom of womanhood, a comely and demure young lady of position and wealth, compared to whom he feels most unworthy, though even her family has been kind to him. She is apparently accomplished in artistic writing, decorating, is soft spoken, the epitome of manners, has a blinding smile, and is generous. Her hand is sought by many, though she has confided in him that while her position requires that she meet with all possible suitors, she considers him to be her special suitor. This listing of attributes interspersed with occasional commentaries on conversations had, and his hopes and dreams continues for some time. Somewhere in between you manage to catch that she is already a Ship's Lady, having just become one at the previous Gathering five years ago. It seems that her family has more suitable candidates than available Ships, so they rotate them through Crews and land-bound duties. It is Ran-po's understanding or interpretation of their conversations that she would join Wave's Foam, though obviously no longer as Ship's Lady, now that you have successfully occupied that position. Wave's Foam has always been independent of the Families and various consortiums for some reason, so obviously his love interest would want to join with Wave's Foam. There are still a number of suitable positions for a woman of her merits and accomplishments in the Crew, or those who occupy the position by default, lacking a woman for the spot.

    They have had a profitable trade run, which would be enough under the rules of the Gathering before last, but with the last Gathering's changes {{{afore mentioned}}} it will no longer be enough without a Ship's Lady to meet any challenges of profitability, specifically due to the fact that it requires a Ship's Lady to respond to challenges limited to Ladies. Your presence means that they can no longer be declared unprofitable by default, despite the richness of their cargo. There may still be challenges from those hoping to take over certain Ships and ships by use of the new technicalities, especially if they do not know of you. (San-ji privately mentions that it might be wise to hide the fact that you are Ship's Lady, and in fact, to hide your presence completely, to retain the element of tactical surprise.)

    You notice that the more you sleep on your matress-less bunk, the better your communication with Wave's Foam gets. She finally reveals to you that the bunk is a direct link to her, made as it is from unbroken Issashaharashtarren wood which is a part of her. She is able to do a number of things for you when you are in direct connection, such as modify you, like in this case, healing the imperfect connections. Once the connections are completely healed, she hopes to be able to restore most of the memories of your bonding, as there was apparently some trauma associated with the experience. The only reason she has not taken you back into the * is because she wants to be fully integrated with you first, to prevent any reoccurrence of what happened before. ( * = the word she used translates in your head as 'bridge', but the impression you get is of the stern deck where a ship is steered which is somewhat confusing for you.) This location is apparently behind the mermaid picture that only a Ship's Lady can see.

    She heartily endorses San-ji's suggestion of secrecy and hopes that you will instruct all the Crew accordingly. It may also be wise not to grant shore leave until after the cargo is fully logged and registered, something which Wave's Foam warns you will be unpopular with some of the Crew. Drink and well deserved relaxation will surely loosen some of even the most loyal tongues, reasons Wave's Foam.

    As was pointed out by San-ji, without a Ship's Lady, any challenge designated as restricted to Ladies must be met by a Ship's Lady. Any Ship or ship without one loses by default, exposing them to anything from, being forced to give up some or all of their cargo, having ownership taken over by the challenger, to being replaced, or even being retired. She worries that should the challenge come from a Family sufficiently wealthy or powerful, they may have used various sneaky methods to boost the trade output of their challenger sufficiently to ensure victory, even against the unusually rich cargo she holds this time around.

    The more recent generations have moved away from their warrior traditions in favor of economic tactics and wars of words. This is something that Wave's Foam speaks of with some bitterness, the shadow of some other memory in her voice. She fully supports the Way, she explains, but she does not like how it is currently being practiced (or not practiced, in her view). Oddly, you catch a musing about 'must support the Way, it is almost all that is left'.

    The trial by combat option is an ancient tradition, one which has not been invoked for nearly a century, and not for some time before that either. Wave's Foam plans for you to use it to cut through any attempt to make the challenge into an economic or trade based contest, shifting the challenge from an area of strength for the Families, to an area of strength of hers, and yours. The purpose of the trade-based challenge is usually to either discover what routes, ports, and contacts the independents have, to take over the Ship or ship outright, or both. Her purpose is to defeat any such attempt, and if possible, to reverse it, stealing one of the newer Ships away from a Family. You catch another musing about 'seeing what is really going on'.

    Such a combat would be an arena contest between two Ship's Ladies, with any combat abilities allowed, but only if used in a non-lethal fashion. If Wave's Foam is challenged, you as the Ship's Lady get to pick the kind of contest, something which they won't expect, and something which they likely will not have prepared for. Wave's Foam has never heard the Crew mention any stories of the last trial-by-combat which took place nearly a century ago, so she thinks that either they don't know about it, or have discounted it as an older legend or story. Certainly, none of the Crew, even the oldest, were more than children at the time. Considering how freely the Crew speaks in her presence, she is pretty confident about her supposition.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    532
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    OK. Here's what Rilde will be doing as we travel:

    1) There's one problem with hiding Rilde's presence: She's very distinctive. Aside from her being very tall for a human, these are goblinoids here; she'll stand out like a sore thumb. So, the only way for her presence to be secret is for her to remain on Wave's Foam during the trade meet unless/until her presence becomes necessary. She's willing to do this for a while, but eventually she'll want to leave the ship!

    2) She will try to be friendly and helpful with the crew: Using both magical and nonmagical healing as necessary, casting other helpful spells, etc. Other than this, she instructs the crew accordingly: Leave her presence a surprise, and no shore leave until the cargo is completely logged and registered. If the crew doesn't like this, she reminds them that what's at stake is their reputation and freedom, not to mention Wave's Foam herself! She also emphasizes that shore leave is not cancelled, only delayed--and when they succeed at defending their independence, they'll really have something to celebrate. In case it becomes necessary, a Diplomacy check aided by a Guidance orison (cantrip):
    * Diplomacy *


    3) She tries to find out more about the capabilities of the various Ship's Ladies whom she might need to challenge. What are their strengths and weaknesses? Also, when/if a trial becomes necessary, she'll try to figure out a wording that does not exclude spellcasting. For instance: An unarmed combat match. She might state the conditions as: Nonlethal combat only (of course); no weapons, armor or outside assistance allowed; no drugs or poisons; each person may prepare in any desired fashion for 30 seconds before the combat begins. She can then surprise her opponent with Enlarge and Bull's Strength spells, rendering grappling a very powerful choice. Or would this be considered unethical, even if it's not actually cheating?

    4) A side note: What about spellcasting in this world? Are the people generally familiar with spellcasting in the ordinary D&D sense? Do they understand what a cleric is, and what Rilde's spellcasting abilities are?

    5) She'll keep Ran-Po talking about his lady-love.

    6) Finally, she'll continue doing the things that you (the DM) suggested: Talking with Wave's Foam, combat training, learning her way around the ship, knots, ship-lore, sailing, etc., etc.

    7) Somewhere in there, she'll try to find time to eat and sleep. ;-)

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-11-2013 10:30 AM
    Diplomacy: 1d20 (10)+ 3 (3) = 13

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    532
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    One more thing: During this trip, she'd like to talk about weapons and armor, just in case the ship is attacked, e.g. by pirates. Her favored weapon is the heavy poleaxe (Complete Warrior). Failing that, any two-handed weapon will do; she's bad at ranged combat. Also, light armor (in which she can at least have a chance of swimming) would be nice.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,273
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    1) Wave's Foam agrees, and after the cargo is taken care of, can undertake to get you ashore. The only caveat is that you'll have to hide your skin throughly, as the whorled marks are a dead giveaway to any of the People.

    2) There is some grumbling, but most of it seems to be accompanied by a sort of pleasure. The Crew seems happy to have a Ship's Lady again.

    3) The abilities seem to largely depend on the capabilities of both the person and the Ship. There seems to be the basic enhancements: speed, strength, agility, toughness, healing, knowledge and remote communication... it seems that other abilities have gotten more and more rare over the last century or two and Wave's Foam does not think there are many left. The most common one left is that of boosting your physical and mental abilities. The way it is described almost sounds like a time stop effect, or more accurately a time slow effect. And there is something else that she could do for you... (see 8).

    4) What you learn is disquieting. Spellcasting is not unknown, but it seems to be of the more spontaneous sort. What is spoken of does not even resemble the methods you are used to. {{{in game terms, they don't seem to have ever heard of the concepts of spell memorization, spell slots, nor most of the religions and Powers (as in powers-that-be) that you mention. Metamagic also seems unknown as a separate ability, you get blank looks and responses along the lines of, 'but everyone who has that power can do that'...}}} Oddly enough, various magical abilities and powers are attributed to the Lady spoken of in the Texts, as well as to some of her Disciples.

    Wave's Foam is also concerned, pulling up lots of pictures around her and studying you intently whenever you cast a spell. You notice that when you cast a spell, you temporarily lose the ability to interact with Wave's Foam, and you feel much weaker. It also takes you much longer to recover spells than normal - the more you expend, the longer it takes. After some experimentation, Wave's Foam is able to somewhat explain - what you gather from her detailed and nearly incomprehensible conversation (you've never had a conversation before in your life where so many words obviously mean something other than what you think they mean...) is that the connection between you and her must take up the same channels that you have been using to access magic.

    This appears to have been a major contributing factor to your initial difficulty in syncing with her. She says that because of that difficulty, she decided to gradually duplicate, then eventually replace the connections to improve your link with her, but it seems to be one or the other... it also seems that active Ship's Ladies have never numbered among what spellcasters exist in this world, though some have become such after they permanently retire. She has not yet started replacing the connections, but fears that if the process is not completed, it may do irreparable damage. In the mean time, she will not be able to successfully augment you or communicate with you if you continue to cast spells. On the other hand, her augmentations are rather useful and powerful in and of themselves, you can definitely see combat potential in them.

    Last in the realm of magic, you cannot feel any sense of presence of your deity, instead feeling a sense of vast distance. Praying feels like shouting down a long and echoing hall. Though you do not seem to be getting any sort of personalized intelligible answers, you do feel a bit of the power, sort of like looking at a star.

    5) All you have to do is listen, and make the occasional noise once you get him started. You get the sense that he may be seeing things differently than her.

    6 & 7) Somehow....

    8) As you near the Gathering, ships become much more common, with shouted conversations, brags, and mostly good-natured sniping carrying over the waves, necessitating your being below deck more and more. To offset your grumpiness at this the Crew surprises you with a set of armor which has been tailored to fit you perfectly. It is a combination of leather with unusual wooden plates and strips, all connected with fine wooden chains under the armor. It proves to be much stronger than it looks. Apparently the wooden sections are all crafted from a single piece of wood, and worked carefully into their final shape. It appears to be made of the same peculiar wood as your bunk. The wooden sections are somewhat small for you, but there is enough slack to the wooden chains to accommodate even a person of your bulk, with some room left over.

    Wave's Foam surprises you with a weapon also made of a single piece of that peculiar wood, modeled somewhat after your descriptions of your favored weapon. She explains that this wood has special properties, is very rare and difficult to obtain, and is the only wood which can be used to repair Ships; indeed, the species seems to be dying out and this piece comes from what little remains of her personal store. The blade portion of the polearm has a thicker cross section and is blunt, being taller (stretched out along the shaft) and narrower (does not protrude far from the shaft) than you are used to. It also has a leaf shaped spear tip for thrusting which blends into the blade, and on the back side forms a thick hook. The opposite end has four thick pegs a bit up from the end which form a cross.

    {{{i will need to know what you decide to do about magic... if she will give up magic for now in favor of a solid connection with Wave's Foam, or if she will keep using it and deal with a poor connection and possible damage. this will also affect the 'special properties' and 'other things she could do for you' aspects previously mentioned. also, you have more or less arrived, given all that you have been doing... which will curtail the amount of available information due to lack of time. }}}
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •