Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Play by Post?

Downloads
    Uploads

Play by Post?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I understand the words, but not sure I follow how it works. I am a person who LOVE to roleplay but wife and 8 month old makes it fun so the potential of RP'ing with a much more friendly time frame is interesting to me.

So could someone give me the jist of PBP? I did a search on the boards and didnt see anything. This may seem like a troll post but I am slightly ignorant and look to be educated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi!

Play by Post only means, literally, playing by posting on a forum. this could mean a thousand things, depending on your game: maybe there's a gamemaster who rolls your dice for you, and tells you your result. Maybe there's no dice and it's a purely freeform game, where what you write is what happens.

The greatest draw of a PbP game is that you don't have to log in at any particular time and join the other players; you just read the most recent posts, and respond to them. This is great because if you work crazy hours, or are in another time zone than the other players, it doesn't matter. Just log in when you can, and tell everyone else what your character is doing.

The downside of a PbP game is that players can often 'fade out', seemingly abandoning the game and leaving everyone else to wonder what's happened to them, and if they're still interested in playing. If a player does this it can be smoothed over, but if the GM (DM?) does, it can mean the death-knell for (possibly) months of play. My own game is GM-less, but it's closing soon (after almost six years!), so I can't invite you. But above all, if you want to join a PbP game, try to assess the commitment level of all involved!

Best of luck!
    Star Wars: Tapestry
    A 6+ year campaign draws to a close...
    Forum Group Wiki

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to add to Thompsons post, yea, its just going throgh the motions of gaming as you would in a table-top meeting. The only thing is that it can be slowed by being TOO heavy on he rules (rolling for initiative, waiting to see if your atack hits to deal damage, etc.) Every GM has their own style of pbp GMing to make the game flow for their players. a good one will feed off of the players actions and responses.

Another thing is the process takes much longer in the startig phase (player creation, character meetings, initial narrative...), but some reallygood players wil get together and create their characters together as to bypass the whole "hello-nice-to-meet-you" meetings of the characters. which speeds up the firstpart of the game and could help to hold them together longer in regards to game duration.

But it ultimatly comes down to the dedication of the players and GM, and how long they want the game to run.

Its also a way for the players to add to the narrative of the story, so that everyone is contributing to the progression of the game/story.