Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Triumphant! - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Triumphant!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Cool write up! As to MHR - I've not seen it, so I didn't really realize there was a potential similarity (albeit not really, as it turns out). The only thing I thought it might be similar to is Savage Worlds, but then it isn't really similar to that either, only on a very cursory glance. No, it is closer to Supers! than any of those, yet different too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
    Cool write up! As to MHR - I've not seen it, so I didn't really realize there was a potential similarity (albeit not really, as it turns out). The only thing I thought it might be similar to is Savage Worlds, but then it isn't really similar to that either, only on a very cursory glance. No, it is closer to Supers! than any of those, yet different too.
    Thanks Simon! Yeah, that is a fun way to get my head into the game. Tonight I hope to run a test session in a setting that I used for Supers, so that should be a great frame of reference.

As to MHR, you're right, there is virtually no overlap with Triumphant. MHR is based on a dice pool mechanic and most character aspects are rated d8 to d12. Triumphant has a broader range (of dice) and more of a simulationist approach - meaning you play a super-powered character in a wide-open adventure and the result is comic-book style action. MHR took a different of angle of playing a comic-book foremost and the resulting action was inter-related with the characters in various ways.

Savage Worlds is more traditional role-playing that, to my knowledge, doesn't scale well into the superhero genre. Although the core of SW is quick and easy, once exploding rolls, bennies, and soaks start flying around it is not nearly as smooth as I'd hoped. And it has a tactical aspect that can be a challenge to handle for online games.

Triumphant looks like it will be smoother and easier than either of those, but yet robust enough to capture the wide variety of the genre.
    "Jukeboxer"
    Gary Brown
    www.whimstorm.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another random character:

Campaign Level: Local Hero (4-4-2) 10 dice total

Roll 1: Condition, Ego
    Roll 2: Power, Hydrokinesis
    Roll 3: Power, Teleportation
    Roll 4: (Ego again, reroll) Condition, Health
    Roll 5: (Ego again, reroll, Health again reroll) Skill, Watercraft
    Roll 6: Skill, Survival
    Roll 7: Power, Enhanced Senses
    Roll 8: Skill, Investigation
    Roll 9: Power, Precognition
    Roll10: Condition, Mobility (wow... hit all three conditions!)

Allocations
    d8s to Hydrokinesis, Mobility
    d6s to Ego, Health, Survival (Water environment), Precognition
    d4s to Investigation, Enhanced Senses, Watercraft, Teleportation
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one fell into place nicely! Obviously she's a water-themed hero. I shall call her...

THALASSIQUE
    Secret ID: Monique Turgeon

EGO d8 HEALTH d8 MOBILITY d10

Skills: Investigation d6, Survival d8 (Water Environment), Watercraft d6

Powers:
    Hydrokinesis d8
    Precognition d8 (Emergency Only)
    Teleportation d6 (Conditional: through water only)
    Enhanced Senses d6 (Conditional: Underwater) Sonar Hearing & Aqua-vision
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The power limitations were selected to fit the character's theme.
    Last edited by Jukeboxer; 05-02-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    "Jukeboxer"
    Gary Brown
    www.whimstorm.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a real cool character. +1 for the random character generation system!

Downloads
    Uploads
    We had our third playtest run-through last night (in fact it was completing an earlier adventure). I would write it out here, but I'd really need to start at the beginning and that'd take ages. I may post it later though, if I get time. The game itself was good and ironed out one or two things but essentially proved the system is pretty robust and fast. At the end of the adventure, the PCs captured Red Skull (one of the PCs Archenemy) and, during his downtime he wanted to ensure that Red Skull was put away for good. This was great - it enabled me to add to the list of things you can do during downtime - now there's "Seeing Justice Done" - you are actively giving police evidence, attending court hearings etc. It allows you to buy off your Archenemy disadvantage for the next adventure. I thought this was a great addition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    DOWNTIME
    Downtimeis the period between adventures. The actual time is fluid – whatever suits thecampaign style and what is happening at the time. It’s also a time for the GMand players to do a bit of book-keeping, to make sure their character sheetsare up straight and so on. Generally allow players to choose one thing theywill be doing in their downtime, but sometimes you might allow a longer periodof downtime where the players can choose two options. Here is some of the stuffcharacters can do in downtime:

Personal
    · Dependents
    · Finances
    · Patrolling
    · Publicity
    · Rest/Recovery
    · SeeingJustice Done
    · Therapist

Training
    · Solo
    · Team

R&D
    · Design/Build/Repair/UpgradeDevices
    · Improvementsto HQ
    · Investigation

Dependents
    Ifyou have the drawback of someone needs me, you can spend some of your downtimevisiting them; take them out for the day, visit the ball game or museum –anything they like doing. At the same time, you can check their securityarrangements and so on. This buys off the drawback for the duration of the nextadventure.

Finances
    Thismeans you are sorting out your accounts; it might involve a visit with yourbank manager, accountant, boss or the taxman. If you have the broke drawback,you can buy this off for the next adventure. If you aren’t already rich you mayadd the rich benefit for the next adventure. If you are already rich, you havepeople who do all of this stuff for you.

Patrolling
    Youspend your spare time doing the rounds of the neighbourhood; protecting theweak and innocent and bringing petty criminals to justice. Unless the GMdecides to springboard this choice into a full adventure, your patrols have theeffect of keeping crime levels down in the city and you gain the benefit ofyour choice of contacts or a hideout or you can buy off misunderstood byauthorities for the duration of the next adventure.

Publicity
    Thismeans you are making a TV or convention appearance, attending a public functionor maybe even making a court appearance that has a specific public interest. Ifyou aren’t already famous, you can choose the famous benefit for the nextadventure. If you are already famous you can take the rich benefit for the nextadventure. If you are misunderstood by the authorities, you can buy this drawbackoff for duration of the next adventure.

Rest/Recovery
    Ifyou were badly injured (all conditions down to zero) in the last adventure, youwill need to spend your downtime recuperating. You don’t have much time leftfor anything else.

SeeingJustice Done
    Justbecause you caught your arch-enemy, it doesn’t mean he is necessarily going toget the justice he deserves and be put away. By spending time on the case –giving evidence, making court appearances etc. you can ensure your arch-enemyis sentenced – at least for a short time. You may buy off the arch-enemydrawback for the next adventure. The minute you take your “eye off the ball” though,your arch enemy either gets off on appeal, escapes or starts to mobilize his friendson the outside to harass you again.

Therapist
    Ifyou have any psychological drawbacks (flashbacks, fear etc.) you can buy one ofthese off for the duration of the next adventure with a bit of psychoanalysis.

SoloTraining
    Witha visit to the gym and putting in the hours, you can hone your physical fitnessand practice your own skills. You can select one of two options:
    · Long-term:You can choose a condition, skill or power and train for three sessions a row atthe end of which you receive a permanent die bump to that ability. If youprefer, you can choose a power enhancement.
    · Short-term:You can choose a condition, skill or power and train in that for a session atthe end of which you receive a temporary die bump to that ability. If youprefer, you can choose a power enhancement.

TeamTraining
    Thisis working on your group’s team skills and provided the team work on thisduring their downtime, the team receives the additional combat options ofteamwork (see combat) for the whole of the next adventure.

Design/BuildDevices
    Gadgeteerscan user their time to invent, repair or upgrade gadgets, battle suits,weapons, vehicles etc. This usually takes more than one period of downtime andis treated as an extended task. See the rules below on building devices.

Improvementsto HQ
    Youcan build new facilities, add new security or extend your HQ. See the rulesbelow on team headquarters.

Investigation
    Youare spending your time looking through information from the internet, libraries,newspaper archives, criminal records, births, deaths and marriages etc. You canfind information about nearly any subject if given access to the proper recordsand the information is there to be found. You might be doing research on avillain you encountered during the last adventure or you might have come acrossa weird phenomenon or found a piece of alien technology. Whatever it is, youneed to know more before proceeding. This option automatically gives you atleast some information and appropriate skill rolls will add further details towhat you learn.
    Last edited by Simon W; 05-03-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's Hemlock from the game:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triumphant Hemlock by devilmonkey.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	3914

Downloads
    Uploads
    that's a cool picture.

Also, nice work up on downtime. This appears to be coming along very nicely
    The Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    very clever. i've always appreciated systems that account for "off screen" time in a meaningful and game-progressive fashion.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triumphant Gatorman by devilmonkey.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	3917Here's Bayou Bob, otherwise known as Gatorman

Downloads
    Uploads
    I clearly wasn't taking Bayou Bob seriously enough, until I saw this art! Nice! He looks like a tough customer.
    "Jukeboxer"
    Gary Brown
    www.whimstorm.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Captain Superior:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triumphant Captain Superior by devilmonkey.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	3919

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very Golden Age! I like it!
    The Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triumphant Teaser by devilmonkey.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	3931 triumphant! Is coming

Downloads
    Uploads
    Outstanding! I love the crisp, modern look of these art previews! The game itself is looking great too with Downtime rules, vehicles, archetypes, hazards/disasters.... I think this is going to handle everything I needed in a superhero RPG!
    "Jukeboxer"
    Gary Brown
    www.whimstorm.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast