Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Looking for recommendations for Space/Scifi RPGs - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for recommendations for Space/Scifi RPGs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Thanks Thoth-Amon.

I'll updated this post with the RPG I decide on and how it plays out.

I assume not all my current Pathfinder d20 players will be on board for a space/scifi series of adventures so I may have to pick up some new alien specimens along the way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find that the Battletech 2nd ed. has one of the simplest game mechanics. 2d6 based, can easily be converted to 3d6 or % as needed. All you have to deal with is the OOP books and the generalized focus on big mechs. My games run about 40% in mechs and character development drives the rest.
    Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army.
    - Edward Everett

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by vspieles View Post
    Thanks Thoth-Amon.

I'll updated this post with the RPG I decide on and how it plays out.

I assume not all my current Pathfinder d20 players will be on board for a space/scifi series of adventures so I may have to pick up some new alien specimens along the way.
    You assume? Ask them. They might like it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are correct. I always make things more complicated than they need to be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    I'd like to take a closer look at Chaosium Basic Role-Playing, Skunkape. Is there an edition that you would recommend?
    Hey, just now saw that you had responded, so as far as an edition to use, I'd go with the Gold cover BRP book. Below is a link for it on the Chaosium site, http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_...oducts_id=6561. But if you're not sure if you want to invest the $44.95 for it, you can always go for the free QuickStart PDF, http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_...oducts_id=3700.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Appreciated, Skunkape. I'll definitely check out those links.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    Hey, just now saw that you had responded, so as far as an edition to use, I'd go with the Gold cover BRP book. Below is a link for it on the Chaosium site, http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_...oducts_id=6561. But if you're not sure if you want to invest the $44.95 for it, you can always go for the free QuickStart PDF, http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_...oducts_id=3700.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome anytime Thoth-Amon.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone played the Bulldogs space/scifi RPG?

It has gotten great reviews?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't played it.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone actually used True 20 for a space/scifi adventure? Let me know how it went please.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also has anyone played Alternity? I love the look of the books, races, rules and campaign setting from skimming some of the review.

Any Alternity or Traveller feed back is welcome.
    If you can get hold of the books, Alternity Star*Drive is a pretty cool Sci-Fi setting. Great playable aliens (who wouldn't want to play a Seshayan!?) and the default setting is at the edge of civilised (known) space, there are lots of nasty 'external' threats that either want to eat you or enslave you, and you also have the internal politics and shenanigans going on between the powers of the core worlds, so lots to keep characters busy.

The game mechanics are pretty straightforward once you get your head round the step system used to work out difficulty challenges. It's basically a d20 mechanic where you roll under your stat + skill. This can be made easier or harder to achieve by having extra dice to roll with the base d20 that either adds or subtracts from the total. So if the task is easy, you might make the player roll d20 and -d8 (more likely to roll under stat + skill), if it's a harder task, you might make them roll d20 and +d8 (less likely to roll under stat + skill).

Combat is a little on the crunchy and tactical side, but it runs just fine without figures. Weapons are pretty dangerous, and characters can easily get killed with one single well placed Render rifle shot, but then, if you can't 'one shot kill' someone with a gravity stutter wave weapon, why bother shooting them with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone actually used True 20 for a space/scifi adventure? Let me know how it went please.
    I've used it for a modern conspiracy game. Once the players grok the damage save system, it plays SUPER fast. Most people are familiar with d20, so it's a nice "medium" crunch game with a streamlined d20 thing going on. Still one of my favorite systems.
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely check out the Stars Without Number RPG, it's a nice throw back Sci Fi set of rules that feels 'Traveller light'.

http://www.sinenomine-pub.com/

You can get the pdf free, and/or order a print copy.

I'm getting ready to start up a campaign in a week myself...
    What is coming at you is coming from you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12