Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Looking for recommendations for Space/Scifi RPGs
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations for Space/Scifi RPGs

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for recommendations for Space/Scifi RPGs

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi folks,

I'm a bit burned out on GMing fantasy campaigns (3.5 and Pathfinder) for the last 6 years.

Looking for suggestions for a good Space/Scifi RPG system.

Hopefully something that's been play-tested and has lots of campaign resource books/pdfs.

I hear Star Wars Legacy is good.

Any Star Wars and non-Star Wars recommendations.

Links to any RPG suggestions would be great as well.

Thanks,

Vic

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess it depends on how complicated a system you like. If you like 'rules lite' design, then I recommend d6, Savage Worlds, or Cortex. If you like crunchier systems, then HERO and GURPS are best. As for Star Wars, the only answer to that question is d6 in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was looking at the Traveller RPG reviews. It seems like a good game system. But the question is what edition/version/company works best for first time players coming off two d20 Pathfinder campaigns?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has any gamed with the Traveller D20 edition? If so how was the game play and transition from a d20 D&D or Pathfinder game?

Also has anyone played Alternity? I love the look of the books, races, rules and campaign setting from skimming some of the review.

Any Alternity or Traveller feed back is welcome.

Or am I better off going to GURPS, RIFTS or Savage Worlds for a quick to start and play series of space/scifi adventures?

Thanks.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I always found Traveller D6 (Classic & Mongoose) to be the most flexible. Check it out at your convenience. Here's the Traveller thread on pnpg's: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/199-Traveller-RPG
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 02-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i've always had a soft spot for star frontiers. especially with all the expansions and fan additions.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, Star Frontiers was a fun game, no question.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by vspieles View Post
    Has any gamed with the Traveller D20 edition? If so how was the game play and transition from a d20 D&D or Pathfinder game?
    It was different enough that it might as well not even bother with the d20 moniker. Character generation uses the Traveller lifepath system so you might have PCs of widely varying levels. I liked combat with the way armor absorbs damage. Combat was also changed up so that your level isn't as integral to survival as it is in other d20 games that use hit points. Definitely worth a try though it is no longer called Traveller T20. It is now called SciFI20. http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=7888

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rogue Trader by FFG is my favorite SciFi game. It has everything AND it isn't your usual level based game like D&D which is a big win in my book. Space combat, exploration, and an amazing setting. On top of that, once you learn the rules you can also play Deathwatch, Dark Heresy, Only War, and Black Crusade... all of which are set in the Warhammer 40K universe.
    Last edited by calico_jack73; 02-26-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When Chaosium released Basic Role-Playing, I moved toward it for almost all of my GMing needs. Sure I bolt on other systems, for instance, for my fantasy campaigns, I use the Pathfinder spells, but modified to fit the BRP system.

I like BRP because it is a classless/levelless system, in which you can see improvement to your character every game. BRP uses d100 percentage skills, which if you use successfully during an adventure, or you spend time training said skills, you get the chance for a possible improvement to the skill.

There are lots of great systems out there, I just prefer BRP.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd like to take a closer look at Chaosium Basic Role-Playing, Skunkape. Is there an edition that you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    When Chaosium released Basic Role-Playing, I moved toward it for almost all of my GMing needs. Sure I bolt on other systems, for instance, for my fantasy campaigns, I use the Pathfinder spells, but modified to fit the BRP system.

I like BRP because it is a classless/levelless system, in which you can see improvement to your character every game. BRP uses d100 percentage skills, which if you use successfully during an adventure, or you spend time training said skills, you get the chance for a possible improvement to the skill.

There are lots of great systems out there, I just prefer BRP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the SciFi20 info and link calico_jack73.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also had a fondness for Star Frontiers as well the few times I could get enough people to play it. I liked that it was about exploration, rescue and investigation. The rules were fairly simple and straight ahead.

It didn't have all the darkness and baggage of a universe at war or the universe dominated by an alien invader or evil tyrannical government. I thought Zebulon's Guide tried too hard to make it that dangerous dark place.

However the lack of constant heroic combat may have been why it wasn't as big a seller as a fantasy adventure game.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you do decide to play SciFi20, vspieles, be sure to give us updates. Many of your fellow gamer's would appreciate 411 updates.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    I'd like to take a closer look at Chaosium Basic Role-Playing, Skunkape. Is there an edition that you would recommend?
    Free quick start PDF...
    http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_...oducts_id=3700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast