Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Supernatural: I don't get the appeal
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Supernatural: I don't get the appeal

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Supernatural: I don't get the appeal

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Last night I watched my second episode of Supernatural ever. (The first was the OTHER Felicia Day episode.)

Given my other favorite series, you'd think Supernatural would be up my alley:

Buffy: Teenagers/young adults battle supernatural evil with much angst and quippage.

Doctor Who: A madman in a box picks up hot birds and battles evil across time and space. Angst and quippage more prevalent in the new series than the old, but Tom Baker was offbeat humor personified.

Firefly: Another Joss Whedon joint with angst and quippage in a space western, cancelled far too soon.

However, all of these shows "clicked" with me after one or two episodes (or, in the case of Doctor Who, after the first novelization). Felicia Day was good, and the writing was decent, but I just didn't see the appeal. Wit-filled scripts are fairly common these days, and complex evolving mythologies are a dime a dozen.

Supernatural isn't clicking. What am I missing?
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    My wife and I have watched all eight seasons and have found the series to be very entertaining and loaded with angst and quippage. We've both learned about various legends, myths, and monsters we never knew about and have grown very fond of the antics of Sam and Dean. Watch the rest of season one. If you haven't gotten into their angst and quippage by then, then you never will, but you owe it to yourself to give Supernatural a chance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently quit watching it. They should have ended at season 5 IMHO.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, really loved it to season 5. I'm on season 7 of Supernatural, now, and it's dropped a star, but oh well. Probably won't see the rest till December of this year (2013). Loved Firefly. I wish it was never cancelled.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 02-21-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll give you season six and seven pushed the envelop, but they seem to have gotten back on track with season eight.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    I'll give you season six and seven pushed the envelop, but they seem to have gotten back on track with season eight.
    That's good news, and something for me to look forward to this December of 2013. Thanks for the 411.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW, I've put my copy of the Supernatural RPG up for sale. Given that used copies are going for $80+ on Amazon I figure my asking price is reasonable.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261178512751...84.m1555.l2649

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Love to get your personal review of this rpg, calico_jack73.

Quote Originally Posted by calico_jack73 View Post
    BTW, I've put my copy of the Supernatural RPG up for sale. Given that used copies are going for $80+ on Amazon I figure my asking price is reasonable.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261178512751...84.m1555.l2649