Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What is Role Playing to you?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pure social interaction, hack & slash is not Role Playing

0 0%
  • Intrigue, plotting and socializing only, no combat

3 7.69%
  • The best Role Playing happens best under character stress in combat

1 2.56%
  • All character interaction, including combat

33 84.62%
  • Gimme my dice, I just want to kill something...

2 5.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Role Playing to you?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have played in a few 'modules', well, at least I was aware of what they were some time into the adventure. And I have had occasion to run a few for others, maybe 'run' is the wrong word, more like turn it into roadkill.
    It's been fun any way, either way. Mostly, the problem with modules is that the players don't think like the original writers and playtesters. If the players get stuck at some little obsitcule and can't seem to find a way past it, well, that is where ingenuity of the GM allows for some 'off the wall' idea from the players to accomplish the same goal.
    One should try to remember that the modual is designed as a GM GUIDE and not the hard and fast RULE.
    As an example, if the players are supposed to open a particular door with a key hidden in a nearby room, and the players just don't seem to pick up on the clues to the key being there ... well find another clue for them. Never let the barbarian use his strenge to break the lock or the thief to successfully pick it. There is a reason for for the key to the door.
    But otherwise, well, let the role-play rule, not the rule rule. What ever!!

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    The two statements are in no way mutually exclusive. I more than any other player in the games I've been involved with contribute to taking the adventure beyond its original scope.

But what I was objecting to in my post was wandering around without any external factors coming into play. As I have stated so many times before, the best role playing happens when there is some external threat or mission that involves the characters.

When all we're doing is discussing watch rotations and describing meals for days on end, I get bored out of my mind. If I wanted to role play "nothing happening", I'd go join a friggin' chat room.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
    Mostly, the problem with modules is that the players don't think like the original writers and playtesters. If the players get stuck at some little obsitcule and can't seem to find a way past it, well, that is where ingenuity of the GM allows for some 'off the wall' idea from the players to accomplish the same goal.

One should try to remember that the modual is designed as a GM GUIDE and not the hard and fast RULE.
    If you remember the old Against the Giants modules, our DM ran them much tougher than they were designed to be. He included better watches and guards for the giants for them to react strategically and effectively. He also included more Drow involvement.

On the negative side, I had one DM hold us up for two hours because we couldn't figure out a riddle that she made up. We all lost interest and she never DMed for us again.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zachary View Post
    I had one DM hold us up for two hours because we couldn't figure out a riddle that she made up. We all lost interest and she never DMed for us again.
    I have to admit that I have made a similar mistake in my games before. Fortunately, my players were very forgiving. Riddles can be fun, but they can quickly loose their charm and give way to frustration.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As I said early, roleplay to me is not being led around by the nose in a campaign or module. On the other side of that coin however, is the player. The player has to be willing to embrace the world, module whatever. I have DM'ed for players who expect the type of gaming where there is just the DM telling a story and they do not know what to do if the DM doesn't grab their character and force them to go somewhere. So this type of gaming style where the character is really very free to do what s/he wants to do is as much player driven as it is DM driven. If the players do not want to play that type of game, then the DM has no choice but to babysit them through the adventure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Against the Giants"? Isn't that what I meant? A commercial madual is only a guide line? If the players are exceptionally good at following the path the GM lays out, then yes, of course he should make it a little tougher or more challenging.
    And if a particular poem, puzzle, or riddle stumps the players, well then make it easier. I myself have had to do both things, even within the very same adeveture with the very same players.
    I love moduals, even if only for the IDEAS that I can glen from them. I probably have never run them straight off the page. Except once when I was doing one for a single player with two newbie characters. He was newbie, also.
    But that is another story.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is kinda off subject, but I think there has to be some leading around, otherwise you almost get chaos. Obviously the GM sets out with a goal in mind, but getting players to work towards that goal is something else entirely. I consider myself pretty good on the fly, but when you need a character to go into a building to get something, and he instead blows up the building, you just want to strangle them. I played in a game where there was some kind of glowing cubes filling an entire room of a castle. The GM described the energy in the cubes and how the air was almost electrified. So one of the players decides to try to destroy one. The release of energy blew us and the castle to bits. Fun times there, roll a new character and lets go to a different castle.
    "I've seen the 'Exorcist' about a hundred and sixty-seven times, and it keeps getting funnier, every time I see it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went with the All Character Interaction including combat

Downloads
    Uploads
    50% ROLE play 50% combat

I derive enjoyment from both aspects of these. As long as I am provided both I am happy.

As far as riddles, our DM threw one at us that we couldn't figure out and we turned around and left that dungeon!

He is really good at making stuff up on the fly!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted for
    Intrigue, plotting and socializing only, no combat
    however I would say thats only 75%-90% true I do like combat when it is meaningful and not just bad guy attacks villiage. When there is something on the line combat can be a wonderful thing.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted for the Interaction selection.

It's all about blowing off steam for me. I get to do stuff that I will never REALLY be able to do, and nobody is hurt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like my games 50/50.But i also like my games to have some randomness to them and not just following a storyline the dm has come up with.An example random encounters can add spice to the game and even start a whole new subplot from the main story.
    "DO or DO NOT there is no try"Master Yoda

Downloads
    Uploads
    Role-playing is never having to say sorry. Errr... wait, Role play isn't just for breakfast anymore. Perhaps, Role-play is the choice of a new generation. I am not sure which to pick. Something seems scewed or not to the heart of the matter to me.

For me, I guess it is the fluff that adds another dimension to my favorite games. It is what makes me feel connected to the strange characters in a fantastical world. It is the goal that makes one want to kill stuff. RP is the meaning for all the crunchy bits. Where does that fit in?
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the verisimilitude of RPGs!

Its astounding when you are moving along with your adventuring party and there is an event of some sort that happens that makes you go, WHAT! I thought the town of _______ was doing this now they are doing that!!??

Getting that immersed in the game is awesome!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And then you realize that the town's women are in control and you're trapped in a giant wicker man about to be burned.

Yeah, DM randomness isn't always cool. But it keeps you on your toes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12