Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter, is it worth getting?

Downloads
    Uploads

Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter, is it worth getting?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was thinking about getting the chronicle starter for my asoifrp campaign, but is it really worth it? I have no idea what the content of the book is? Could someone tell me whats in it before I go out and waste 30+ dollars on a book I don't need?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bought mine on sale from one of the online places like RPGNow or something. Don't know how much I paid for it but I suspect it was much cheaper as it is a pdf. May still get one for a lot less than the $30 you are contemplating. Course, now that I have the pdf version I am kind of hankerin' for the hard copy.

Is it worth it? That is a hard question to answer. At 129 pages it does have a bunch of good stuff. It has seven houses with characters and motives. It also has a bunch of interesting places and some events. There is even an adventure in the back. But I would say it is most likely for someone like me who has yet to run the game.

So, tell me, how does the game play. What type of adventures do your players go on. It is a great movie, and the books trump that by miles. The game, while I am chomping at the bit to play, I am at a bit of a loss for what the players will do after the starting couple of games.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Idk what kind of game im running yet. I'm still In the begining phases of writing a campaign. I just wanted to know what exactly was in the book before I bought it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The new rule book has a starter adventure, same one as in the free download. It is basically going to Kings Landing to swear fealty. There is another starter adventure based around a tournament that is added to this one in the new rule book.

So then I would say, that buying the Chronicle would be a good starting purchase. It will allow you to use the free download to get the players up to speed with the rules and how they play, and then the larger one that follows it in the new rules in the book will get into much further depth. The Chronicle will allow you and your players play a series of Houses before you get around to rolling up the house they want to play. I must say, rolling up houses was a bit of fun, but like I am, leaving the stats of something as important as the house your group will play is kind of wrong. I mean you do want a certain kind of house and the dice make a mockery of a plan.

That does sound like a big chunk of money to put down on the rules and getting started. Maybe you would rather go to RPGNow or whatever and get you a pdf file for the Chronicle and a hard cover for the rules.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Would like to add that the new rule book has the free download adventure at about a dozen pages and another adventure at about seventy or so pages. That does help get a game off the ground, and the Chronicles does have those seven Houses to play. Each of the houses has enough information to get a group going for at least awhile.

For me I think the Chronicles were a good buy, especially the pdf version, as I will most likely consume the piece a bit at a time, using a bit here and a bit there as I build a game upon the bones of the included material. After a start the pdf will most likely become reference material and needing a book to refer to might not be needed.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Noticed that Green Ronin is having a sale on their GoT books. Might be a good time to buy up. Think Drive thru RPG is having a sale on GoT pdf's as well.