Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Heroines - Gamerstable - Ep83

Downloads
    Uploads

Heroines - Gamerstable - Ep83

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    In a hobby dominated by male archetypes (or clichés), sometimes what a campaign needs is a woman’s touch. The days of the woman being merely a piece of treasure or a plaything at a local watering hole are over. Sometimes it’s fun to let a woman take the lead.

We talk about some of the strong women in history and pop-culture and how they have helped mold the gamer culture.

Please click here to listen.
    Are you a gamer? Listen to Gamerstable Podcast.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    andre norton. patricia mckillip. i know of lots more, but those two stand out considerably.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Andre Norton is a fantastic example. She was so prolific in her work.

I wonder, though, how much her name helped her. In a genre that is dominated by men, writers and audience members, going by Andre had to help. Especially when she was writing. Not knowing her biography, I can only assume that that was the intent.

I read somewhere that J.K. Rowling referred to Norton when asked why she went by "J.K.", stating that boys (and men) are leery of female fantasy writers.
    Are you a gamer? Listen to Gamerstable Podcast.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    much like isaac asimov used to write under the pen name (hang on a sec, i have some on my shelf... *goes to check*) paul french during that era when being russian was not kosher in america.

if you haven't read patricia mckillip, i highly recommend her.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive